IIFYM, what it means (to me) and a day in my life...

Options
_John_
_John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
Going thru a "typical" day of IIFYM eating using my day today as an example. My macros are set at 35% carbs, 30% fat and 35% protein, which puts my protein at about 1g/lb. I don't feel this is a hard fast rule for me or you, but I personally like how my diet fits around it, so it has worked for me in the past and today.

Breakfast: 3 slices of bacon cooked by my wife and 3 mandarin oranges before I leave the house for work.

Get to work and am feeling hungry so I eat a pear that I have in the fridge at work as well as a Greek yogurt.

A couple hours later I'm hungry again, so I grab a couple dark chocolate squares and use them to dip about a serving of peanut butter.

I'm out and about running errands for work, so I grab a burrito bowl at chipotle for lunch. Pinto beans, 2 servings of steak, pico, and a half serving of guacamole. Too much sodium here, but only bad thing about this meal IMO.

Midafternoon I'm hungry again so I eat a couple spoonfuls of peanut butter at my desk.

I need gas on the way home, and I grab a monster rehab and a small dipped ice cream cone at the gas station.

I know I need some protein to hit my macros so dinner is 2 tilapia filets, a salmon filet and some mango pico that needs to be eaten. All fish was cooked with a light cooking spray and dusted with salt free Toni's.

I go to the gym and lift weights for an hour about 45 mins after dinner.

I stop by the grocery store after my workout and pick up a small jerky stick and 6 oz of the cheapest berries I could find (happen to be raspberries).

I'm done eating for the day.

Finish up the day at 32% carbs, 32% protein and 35% fat (remander is partial %'s). 49g of fiber and about 2 pounds of raw fruits and veggies (pretty fruit heavy day by admission). 2831mg of sodium, which balances how much potassium is in my day here (a lot goes untracked, so hard to get a good # here with MFP).

So I ate fast food, bacon, chocolate, and ice cream as part of a healthy and balanced diet that is nutrient dense and at a caloric deficit for me.

hopefully this helps some see the realism and practicality of IIFYM.

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    :drinker:
  • usmcmp
    Options
    That's about what I do. I like that amount of protein because it keeps me full.
  • Derp_Diggler
    Derp_Diggler Posts: 1,456 Member
    Options
    slowclap_zps28ed581f.gif
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Sounds pretty friggin' good to me!!!! :drinker:
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I don't know about you OP, but we are all here for the same reason. To be healthy. And healthy is obviously non artificial, non sugar, non GMO, non tastebuds, non sensical, vegetables. You know what, from now on if it's not a vegetable that you grew in your back yard, you should stop promoting it. Im going to come up with IIFYV. If it fits your vegetables. You're welcome.

(good post).
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    Excellent post. So many people around here misunderstand IIFYM. They think it means you just eat fast food all day, every day. (I mean, maybe you COULD do that depending on how your macros were set up... but that's obviously not the purpose of IIFYM). Your day sounds awesome and I don't see how anyone could argue that you aren't leading a healthy and balanced lifestyle. Great job.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    you mean you are not worried about the processed stuff and all the toxins and stuff? :tongue:

Almost seems too easy.

But I think I'll just stick to chicken, broccoli and brown rice just incase...
  • togmo
    togmo Posts: 257
    Options
    I don't know about you OP, but we are all here for the same reason. To be healthy. And healthy is obviously non artificial, non sugar, non GMO, non tastebuds, non sensical, vegetables. You know what, from now on if it's not a vegetable that you grew in your back yard, you should stop promoting it. Im going to come up with IIFYV. If it fits your vegetables. You're welcome.

We all have different ideas on what is healthy and we all have different baselines set up by our parents, friends etc. that we are trying to deviate from to become healthier - I say deviate from, because most of us have signed up here with the aim of losing weight and/or eating healthier and obviously the majority of us weren't previously happy with our previous meal choices or the size of those meals. Healthy for you might be non GMO, non artificial and non sugar, i.e. non tastebuds as you put it but other people will have no problems eating artificial sweetner, GMO and sugar laden foods - IIFYM.

I like to think I eat healthy but I do have the occasional fast food and enjoy a bit of fatty, sugary chocolate and icecream from time to time which some would consider not healthy but it does fit my macros and it tastes soooo good. In fact I just had a can of coke with some chocolate for afternoon tea - it did fit my macros!

At least the people on here are attempting to do something about their health, even if it is simply by eating less of the processed crap that they were eating before. They are reducing their caloric intake and eating foods that fit their macros and allow them to lose weight. Hopefully they are eating a little healthier than they were before they began their journey but either way they are doing something...

I too eat chicken, broccoli and brown rice from time to time but you have to live a little too...
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    ^^^ Does he realize who he just quoted? *giggles* Great example, OP!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

(good post).

anjvkn.jpg
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    You're going to die eating that way....

...someday in the far future. Good job on the macros.
  • _John_
    Options
    Self bump. The day on my diary was yesterday, though I may do a similar post for today
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Sounds delicious.

And also sounds like I should keep an extra jar of peanut butter here at work.........
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

We all have different ideas on what is healthy and we all have different baselines set up by our parents, friends etc. that we are trying to deviate from to become healthier - I say deviate from, because most of us have signed up here with the aim of losing weight and/or eating healthier and obviously the majority of us weren't previously happy with our previous meal choices or the size of those meals. Healthy for you might be non GMO, non artificial and non sugar, i.e. non tastebuds as you put it but other people will have no problems eating artificial sweetner, GMO and sugar laden foods - IIFYM.

I like to think I eat healthy but I do have the occasional fast food and enjoy a bit of fatty, sugary chocolate and icecream from time to time which some would consider not healthy but it does fit my macros and it tastes soooo good. In fact I just had a can of coke with some chocolate for afternoon tea - it did fit my macros!

At least the people on here are attempting to do something about their health, even if it is simply by eating less of the processed crap that they were eating before. They are reducing their caloric intake and eating foods that fit their macros and allow them to lose weight. Hopefully they are eating a little healthier than they were before they began their journey but either way they are doing something...

I too eat chicken, broccoli and brown rice from time to time but you have to live a little too...

I was being sarcastic.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    the only thing that could have made this post better was if you'd gone to mcdonalds at lunch....
  • _John_
    Options
    the only thing that could have made this post better was if you'd gone to mcdonalds at lunch....

I would have gotten a double meat grilled chicken sandwich with mustard or dry...fwiw...
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options

On MFP, I am never short of reasons to use this gif -

Point_missed.gif
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    I approve of this day.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    Sounds delicious.

And also sounds like I should keep an extra jar of peanut butter here at work.........

I always keep one at home and one at work, in case of emergency. Do it! :smile:

PS - I also have a pint of Talenti gelato in the freezer at work, you know, in case of emergency.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    Need pop tarts