GOOD tasting protein shake recipes needed

Options
kamakazeekim
kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
I'm using protein shakes as meal replacements but I'm having a hard time gagging them down. I'm in need of some good tasting recipes!

Replies

• annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    What about just eating real food instead?

I combine 1 medium banana with a cup of plain soymilk and a scoop of chocolate protein powder when I need to. Sometimes I'll throw in other fruits/veg if I happen to have them hanging around.
  • rachael1805
    rachael1805 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I blend my sun warrior choc protein shake with 50g each of frozen banana, bluberries and chobani greek yoghurt- it is just shy of 200 cals and delicious :)
  • roz250
    roz250 Posts: 23
    Options
    First off, what kind of protein are you taking? That will make a big difference.

This is my fave and I make it every morning: http://notjustmomma.wordpress.com/fitness-and-nutrition/nutrition/recipes/

I also play around a lot with vanilla protein, adding regular PB2, chocolate PB2, Nesquick, fruit, fruit juice, etc :)

I LOVE my protein!
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes taste terrible. It is your punishment for not having the discipline to get your protein from food.
  • rexroars
    rexroars Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Don't buy any kind of packaged "protein shake" crap, I don't even know what that stuff is! No wonder it tastes bad. I blend my hemp protein powder into fruit and spinach, and you can't taste the powder or the spinach! The hemp turns the smoothie greenish-brown, but I don't think whey does that. I just hate the taste of whey.

My smoothie yesterday:

1 banana
    strawberries
    peaches
    spinach (all fruit/spinach was frozen)
    1/2 cup 100% pure apple juice
    *kitten* load of cinnamon
    hemp protein

All of that for about 360 calories, and actually filling, AND full of vitamins :)

I personally also add ground flaxseed meal to make it more filling but that also adds about 100 calories.

You could also try blending frozen banana, frozen greek yogurt and cinnamon and have it taste like a milkshake... or at least tolerable.

:)
  • mrhonesty
    mrhonesty Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Whole Foods sells a protein powder called Jay Robb. I mix a scoop with a banana and almond milk and it has a great flavor. I've tried many different powders and hated them all.
  • haylslade
    Options
    I use protein shakes for meal replacement too at breakfast time, I don't have an appetite in the morning so I find that easier plus it contributes to my protein intake for the day as I'm not a big meat eater. I use the PHD Diet Whey brand and enjoy all of their flavours.
  • truelove7
    truelove7 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I use ON Gold Standard 100% Whey...double chocolate. I've found that the cheaper why protein powders taste much worse that the slightly more expensive. I use it to supplement my meals and to help meet my protein macros for the day, not to replace real food.

I have, on occasion, used it as a base for a breakfast smoothie or added it in to other recipes.

Breakfast Smoothie:
    1scoop whey protein
    1/2 c skim milk
    1/2 c water
    1/2 banana
    1 T peanut butter

Of course, you could skip the milk and substitute other fruits for the banana...
  • Bella0531
    Bella0531 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    This is the shake I make for my husband every morning:
    - Frozen strawberries (8-10)
    - Frozen blueberries (handful)
    - GNC vanilla egg protein (1 scoop)
    - Honey (1T)
    - Rolled oats (1/4C)
    - Honey roasted cashews (1/3C)
    - Olive Oil (1T)
    - Silk very vanilla soy milk (enough to cover)

He certainly likes it. You can always take out the extra oil and honey if you're looking for something lower calorie (he's trying to bluk at the moment).
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrtion Gold Standard 100% Whey French Vanilla - 1 rounded scoop
    Frozen strawberries - 70g
    Blue Diamond Unsweetened Almond/Coconut Milk blend - 1 cup
    2 drops vanilla extract
    Splenda to taste

It comes out to around 190 cals and is really good. Sometimes instead of the strawberries I'll use a frozen tropical fruit mix (strawberries, mango, and pineapple) that Kroger sells.

If you're using it to replace meals, I'd definitely suggest beefing it up with a handfull of spinach, add a banana, etc.
  • jammajish
    jammajish Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My current fav is:
    1 scoop (31 g) Isofemme vanilla protein powder
    1 serving (175 g) plain greek yogurt
    1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
    1 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
    1 tsp coconut flavouring
    1 tsp instant coffee powder
    1/2 tsp - 1 tsp xanthan gum (to thicken)

It comes out to be about 290 calories, 11 g of carbs, 9 g of fat, and 44 g of protein. You can also easily halve the amounts for a lighter calorie and protein serving. It comes out tasting super rich and mousse like :)

I also like to use the Isofemme protein powder with raspberry kefir and and mixed berries.