Anyone taking Bupropion SR?

Options
Hi :) just wondering if anyone is taking Bupropion SR? and if so how has it affected your weight journey? My doctor just put me on it for SAD ( Seasonal Depression) and I was reading up on the symptoms and side effects and it lists that weight loss is an actual symptom of this pill..is that true? Also how did it make you feel towards food? Because I see it also can make you not very hungry.

I did go through the forum and have seen mixed reviews and it was a while back so I figured I would start my own question on it. I understand I am different from you and how it effects you, but I wanted to know :).

Replies

• rcroneberger
    Options
    I am not currently taking Bupropion but I have taken it in the past. I do remember not being very hungry while I was taking the medication, but my weight loss with the medication was minute. If I remember correctly I only lost 10 lbs (its been almost 6 years since I started taking it, and I have been off for 3 years). I kept a journal at that time and once I started feeling less depressed I became more active and got a gym membership. That was 3 months into taking the medication. It did help me stop smoking too! I don't know if this is at all helpful, but I wish you all the luck.
  • OMGeeeHorses
    OMGeeeHorses Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Yes it does help :)! My doctor says she wants me on the lowest dosage as she feels its due to my weight (283) and that when I get into like 200 or 175 that she will ween me off of it to see if my SAD has gone away. I gained a ton of weight due to a car accident and then that is when my depression SLAMMED me then I was on pills didn't like it and then was off them for 1 year and was exercising and kicking depressions booty!! but then when winter hit it slammed me hard again and I couldn't shake it with exercise or anything. She says it had to do with not getting enough sun and changed me from basic depression to SAD. So here is to kicking my weights butt and getting off meds again :)
  • becks2089
    becks2089 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I started Bupropion XL on 2/2/14. My doctor prescribed it off-label for my focus and attention problems, and anxiety. I started a running program three weeks before I started the medication. Its been a month, and my nausea side effect is still very active. Its has gotten in the way of a proper eating plan, such as 5/6 small meals a day. I take the medication when I get up at 5am, if I eat at 9am i will get extremely nauseous. If it wait until 12 noon, I will have moderate nausea. So now, I have to have a very small snack, at 9am and then eat a regular meal at 12. I'll still have nausea, but its not as bad.

Obviously nausea is a huge factor in my life now, due to the prescription. So I can see that being a reason why people lose weight, because they just don't want to eat. I eat because I know I have to, and its unhealthy to starve. Modifying my eating, and running on average 8 miles a week, has not budged my weight though. I have not seen any change. But everyone reacts differently to medication, so weight loss just isn't a side effect for me.
  • seamonkey789
    Options
    I have medical issues and have been on 3 psychiatric meds everyone asks about for losing weight and the majority of the ones people ask about for gaining weight.

My answer is always if your doctor has decided this medication will benefit you, then take it.

And for what it's worth, I did not lose weight on any of the meds people ask about for losing weight and I currently take seroquel and have not gained any weight
  • jenna808
    jenna808 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I've been taking bupropion for anxiety/depression for about 6 months. When I first started taking it I was not hungry at all, that lasted a few weeks and then my appetite started to return to normal. I wouldn't say that I lost any weight on it or anything, but I had tried other antidepressants in the past that seemed to make me ravenously hungry which was not a side effect I cared for. As for my intended purpose in taking this medication, I really like it and haven't experienced any negative side effects at all.