Seeking Running Advice..

Options
I'm fairly new at running/jogging and every time I run/jog my shins start to hurt shortly after I've stopped.
I've tried different shoes, different stretches, I tried walking a fair distance before hand, and I've even tried running on grass / dirt and trails rather than the pavement, and nothing seems to work!

I'm not sure if it's a pulled muscle or shin splints? I haven't been able to see my doctor to ask as I'm not in my own country at the moment. I've put off running for a bit and did stretching everyday to strengthen but even that hasn't done anything..

Any suggestions or advice?

Replies

• briannanoelg
    Options
    Shins splints suck. I had them. I took a week off from running (did the elliptical instead) and took calcium vitamins (still do). I also got new shoes for underpronators and that helped as well. I no longer have problems with my shins. Also had to ease my way back into running instead of going full on back into it.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Ouch. Get plenty of rest and try walking for a few weeks.

I know you said you haver got new shoes but did you get them fitted from a running shop where they watched you run?

Have a look online at exercises that help to strengthen your leg muscles as i found this helped me - i use machines in the gym for this. Foam rollers can also help to ease out some of the smaller niggles.
  • SSAHM
    SSAHM Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I was getting pains every now and then. I looked into correct form when running and haven't had a problem since.
  • Mellyajc
    Mellyajc Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    How far are you running? It's possible you've started out going too far too soon.

Proper fitting shoes is super important as well..make sure to get a gait analysis. The only time I've gotten shin splints was when a pair of shoes needed replacing (yes, our bodies are sensitive..)

I know it's a hard area to stretch..if you don't have a foam roller, you can also use a rolling pin on the sides of the bone (NOT directly on the bone, ow!) to help loosen them up. Try to massage them out.
  • caitlynforkz
    Options
    Ouch. Get plenty of rest and try walking for a few weeks.

I know you said you haver got new shoes but did you get them fitted from a running shop where they watched you run?

Have a look online at exercises that help to strengthen your leg muscles as i found this helped me - i use machines in the gym for this. Foam rollers can also help to ease out some of the smaller niggles.

I haven't got my shoes fitted yet I'm waiting to get home to where it's cheaper haha! I did however go to a store where they were trying to get me the best kind of shoes.. only problem is that my feet are child size so it apparently makes things a lot more complicated because I'm not getting the support I need in a shoe.. now someone I know who is a runner said to try and go barefoot.. because "when man first arrived and had to run they never had shoes and I'm sure they did just fine" has anyone tried this?? I don't want to screw up anything else in my legs if this doesn't work or isn't recommend haha..

I never have this problem with a fast walking pace it's just jogging / running and then the odd time walking up a mountain.
  • TheDarkestStar87
    TheDarkestStar87 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I used to get that a lot, I find that magnesium tablets made it go away, haven't had one niggle in 6 months
  • caitlynforkz
    Options
    How far are you running? It's possible you've started out going too far too soon.

Proper fitting shoes is super important as well..make sure to get a gait analysis. The only time I've gotten shin splints was when a pair of shoes needed replacing (yes, our bodies are sensitive..)

I know it's a hard area to stretch..if you don't have a foam roller, you can also use a rolling pin on the sides of the bone (NOT directly on the bone, ow!) to help loosen them up. Try to massage them out.

Honestly not far haha!
    I usually walk 3 miles and add a light job in the middle of it for maybe a song on my playlist? But other than that I haven't pushed any further I'm afraid of not being able to walk! This is tolerable but still hurts!

Last time this happened I just walked for about three weeks (the first time I could hardly walk for two days!) Then I added a light jog in the mix for the past two times I've gone out and it's happening again.
  • TRD66
    TRD66 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    .. now someone I know who is a runner said to try and go barefoot.. because "when man first arrived and had to run they never had shoes and I'm sure they did just fine" has anyone tried this?? I don't want to screw up anything else in my legs if this doesn't work or isn't recommend haha..

I never have this problem with a fast walking pace it's just jogging / running and then the odd time walking up a mountain.

Barefoot running doesn't actually mean going without any shoes. You get barefoot running shoes (google it) which are basically like tight fitting light wieght slippers. Couple of guys in work do it, but I don't fancy it - I like a bit of sole pounding the pavement rather than my delicate feet protected by only a sliver or rubber.
  • caitlynforkz
    Options
    .. now someone I know who is a runner said to try and go barefoot.. because "when man first arrived and had to run they never had shoes and I'm sure they did just fine" has anyone tried this?? I don't want to screw up anything else in my legs if this doesn't work or isn't recommend haha..

Barefoot running doesn't actually mean going without any shoes. You get barefoot running shoes (google it) which are basically like tight fitting light wieght slippers. Couple of guys in work do it, but I don't fancy it - I like a bit of sole pounding the pavement rather than my delicate feet protected by only a sliver or rubber.

This is going to sound absolutely crazy but if they're the shoes with the toe outlines I can't stand those shoes I'm stupidly grossed out by toes and those shoes just remind me that people have toes hahaha I'd rather run barefoot than have to look at those, I had something that was similar, they were called New Balance Air they're really thin and super light, they look like the same thing.. but without the toes ;)
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Could be just because you are new to it. Rest and then see if this reoccurs over a bit more time.
  • spankythewondermonkey
    Options
    if you are getting shin splints then i'd guess that you are heel striking when you run. check out you tube for 'pose running' which will show you how to forefoot / midfoot strike. be warned though that it will murder your calves to begin with, so keep the distances short (< 0.25 miles) and gradually build up from there
    i've only ever run seriously in vibram five fingers, and had to transition from heel strike to forefoot as heel striking in minimalist shoes HURTS. prior to this, i used to use 'cushioned' trainers for very short runs (<1 mile) and suffered with both shin splints and impact shocks through the ankles and knees. the move to forefoot eliminated both of these as all the stress is moved from the joints & bones into the soft tissue - hence why the calves take a pounding with forefoot until they become used to it.
    hth.