In Need of Food Ideas..

Options
So for the new year I've created various mini goals to accomplish every month, and this month was to be a Vegetarian or maintain a Vegetarian like diet.. I picked this as one of my goals because I don't overly enjoy eating meat.. if it's just myself at home I won't cook meat, it grosses me out when it's raw, but I will eat seafood/fish.

Anyways,
I am looking for different ideas for a none meat eater.. (unless of course it's seafood or fish ;) haha)

I've tried cooking various veggies and stir fry, but sometimes it gets boring, and I'm looking to try new foods :)

Any suggestions?

I'm also looking for new MFP Friends; so feel free to add me too! xxx

Replies

• alc212
    alc212 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I love doing a Vege Frittata - can do quite a few variations depending on whats in the fridge:
    - Sweet Potato, Onion and Tomato
    - Broccoli, Feta and Tomato
    - Pumpkin, Sweet Potato and Capsicum
    - Carrot, Pumpkin and Feta

The variations just keep going!

A mixed veg shepherds pie with Sweet Potato on top instead of regular mash potato is nice too - your favourite vegetables in the filling instead of steak or chicken.
  • caitlynforkz
    Options
    YUM!

I will have to try all of those out!
    Thank you ;)
  • latewinterwolf
    Options
    i shall defo be keeping an eye on this post. Those fritattas sound delicious apart from i hate sweet potato haha
  • latewinterwolf
    Options
    Anything that doesnt have chickpeas in it?
  • louiseoxford
    louiseoxford Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I am completely the same as you! I never eat beef or pork and only very occasionally I eat chicken.

Home made veggie bean burgers are delicious, this is an excellent recipe: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/9978/mexican-bean-burgers-with-lime-yogurt-and-salsa

Veggie chilli is a favourite of mine, you don't notice the lack of meat as you throw it lots of different vegetables. This goes for veggie bolognaise as well.

Goats cheese, sundired tomato & pesto tartlets are a quick and delicious dinner, serve with some salad.

Butternut squash, sweet potato and red onion soup is simple but yum (roast the veg for half an hour then blend together and add some creme fraiche for a delicious creamy taste)

Salmon fillet with Udon noodles, veg and a Chinese sauce OR salmon fillet with lemon cous cous OR salmon fillet with roasted pesto veggies.

Hope this helps :)
  • alc212
    alc212 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    It's funny, I like chicken, fish and red meat (on occasion), but can't cook any of them nicely!
    Unless its a stir fry or casserole, I'm a really bad cook when it comes to meat of any kind.

Vegetables are just so much easier to get right in my opinion!

Soups are good too.... I tend to get ideas from the packet and tinned soups and then make the mixture from fresh produce - e.g. Spring veg (carrot, tomato, celery), Minestrone, Spicy Veg etc... Get inspiration from the packaged foods in the supermarket and then make it yourself from fresh! Doesn't just work for soups, I also use the frozen meals and recipe base packets as inspiration.
  • colortheworld
    colortheworld Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Vegetable pizzas on flatbread wraps. I like using mushrooms, spinach, tomatoes, olives, pretty much any veggies you can think of. Instead of pizza sauce you can use pesto or garlic butter and different cheeses too. Fish tacos are great too, I season and bake fish and make them with low cal tortillas, tarter sauce, lettuce and tomato.
    Also chili with some quinoa to replace the ground beef or turkey is great.
  • nikibean123
    nikibean123 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Tofu is lovely in stir frys (cubed Quorn or Cauldron are both good) and Quorn sausages are really nice and can take the place of mean in conventional ways (bangers and mash etc) or again, cut up in stir frys or pasta dishes
  • caitlynforkz
    Options
    YUM thanks so much everyone! Can't wait to try all of these !
  • Franki261
    Options
    Veggie chilli is a bit of a failsafe for me too. I use butternut squash (cubed), orange sweet potato (cubed), kidney beans, tinned tomatoes, onion, garlic and whatever your usual chilli spice mix consists of (I tend to do cumin, paprika, and cayenne). Fry off the onions, add the garlic then cubed veg, cook a little, add the tomatoes and spices and let it simmer for a while until the veg are soft (but not mushy). Season and serve - I serve with quinoa for a lighter and low GI option but basmati rice is good too. Sour cream and avocado as well if you like.

Are you on Pinterest? It's brilliant for finding new recipes and meal ideas.
  • caitlynforkz
    Options
    I LOVE Pinterest!
    Everytime I go through there it makes me so hungry!!

Same with all of these food ideas. -yum.
  • naariel
    naariel Posts: 37
    Options
    There's an "adaptable" recipe I quite like:

Bell pepper (I usually take a red one), with the top cut off, emptied.
    Cut a (small to medium) tomato in two, put one half in the pepper.
    Add whatever you fancy until your pepper is fully stuffed + spices. Some favourites of mine: chopped olives (tapenade, even), rice (warm or cold but I prefer the whole dish cold), tuna, cucumber, seafood, avocado. Cottage cheese (with more spices) or feta is great too if dairy isn't a problem.

And you can serve it hot too. If so, you just have to cook your tomato a bit before adding it into the pepper, and add some warm stuffing. Like scrambled eggs (with the pepper and tomato it tastes a bit like omelette but with different proportions in eggs/veggies), cooked green beans, chopped courgette/zuchini or chopped aubergine/eggplant (these two previously cooked/steamed of course).
    You can even use cheese (including mozzarella) and put the whole thing in the oven for a few minutes so it melts a bit. The stuffing really depends on your taste and what you need in your diet that day. (More veggies, dairy, proteins, good fat etc.)