Do you have to eat clean to lose weight?

Options
Every day as a snack, I have Pisang Goreng, which is deep fried banana fritters. I have 2-2.5 pieces and they are each worth about 126 calories and are 2" long. Even while eating this, I manage to meet my 1200 calories a day because my meals are mainly focused around South Indian cuisine, which involves low calorie foods, enough carbs and many vegetables.

My point is, do you really have to eat clean to lose weight? If you eat cake, have ice cream and pizza, and as long as you meet your recommended calorie intake, do you still lose weight? 'm confused about my somewhat unhealthy snacking, so any form of advice would be appreciated!

Replies

• twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    <
    No.
  • mrsamanda86
    mrsamanda86 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    While I wouldn't only eat cake and ice cream all day, you can of course have them in moderation. And you don't even have to suffer on 1200 calories a day. I'm only 4'11 and I lose weight netting about 1350 currently(with exercise I eat about 16-1700 calories). If eating clean makes you happy, then by all means, have at it, but NO it is not necessary to lose weight at all.

ETA And I constantly eat things like chocolate, Taco Bell, candy, ice cream etc. Just not huge portions all day long lol
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    <
    No!!! and also check out my ticker....... :glasses:
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    Nope.

EDIT: In fact...maybe "clean" eating doesn't even exist... ;)

http://evidencemag.com/clean-eating/
  • littleburgy
    littleburgy Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I eat DIRTY and I've lost weight.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    No you do not. You also don't need to eat clean to be healthy, fit or to have a healthy level of body fat.

In terms of having a balanced diet, the only thing I would say is that you do need to be more careful when you are on a low calorie intake. The less calories you take in, the less opportunity you have to get all the nutrients you need each day. So, if you are struggling to get a good balance, you could cut down the portion sizes of you banana fritters, or maybe have them every other day, or even check whether or not 1200 calories is the right level for you.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    No you certainly don't.

But for some people, eating the large majority of their foods from quality meats, fish, chicken, veggies, fruit, nuts/seeds and eggs makes their body feel and function better and give them higher energy levels.

And it is also my opinion that keeping the vast majority of your diet comprised of unprocessed foods, makes it a lot easier to have the occasional snack like pizza, ice ceam or whatever your weakness is and not feel bad about doing so.
  • KnM0107
    KnM0107 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    No you don't have to eat "clean" to lose weight...
  • foodaddicts_
    Options
    While I wouldn't only eat cake and ice cream all day, you can of course have them in moderation. And you don't even have to suffer on 1200 calories a day. I'm only 4'11 and I lose weight netting about 1350 currently(with exercise I eat about 16-1700 calories). If eating clean makes you happy, then by all means, have at it, but NO it is not necessary to lose weight at all.

ETA And I constantly eat things like chocolate, Taco Bell, candy, ice cream etc. Just not huge portions all day long lol

Haha, I definitely don't eat cake and ice-cream for the whole day, as much of a food addict I am! But I constantly felt guilty about not eating clean like I was supposed and ended up binging, thinking: "Oh, well, I already didn't eat clean today, so I might as well have some more cake." And this sort of mentality made me gain lots of weight. I'm determined to change my ways, so I'll take your word for it! Thank you!
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    Five responses from people with tickers totalling 729 pounds lost :happy: Love the start of this thread LOL
  • foodaddicts_
    Options
    Five responses from people with tickers totalling 729 pounds lost :happy: Love the start of this thread LOL

Lol, I find that pretty amusing!
  • Kauczuk
    Kauczuk Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Of course you don't have to, but it will be much harder!

If you workout and burn every day 2000 calories you can eat almost whatever you want. But if you work behind the desk and just make yoga you will have problems to loose weight.

Everything is for people but you need to know where is the limit.
  • momofGD
    momofGD Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is calories in vs calories out. You can eat 1500 calories a day of cakes and ice cream and loose weight if you burn off more calories than what you are taking in. However, eating just cake and ice cream obviously isn't too healthy for you. There can be a difference between eating healthy and eating to loose weight.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    No but regular washing is advisable if you want to keep friends
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options

If you workout and burn every day 2000 calories you can eat almost whatever you want. But if you work behind the desk and just make yoga you will have problems to loose weight.

nope!

i think it'll be much easier not trying to eat clean.

clean eating comes with all sorts of rules to follow, and feelings of guilt/shame when you don't strictly adhere to those rules. i think living that sort of life is MUCH harder than simply focusing on calories and macronutrients. i ate pizza last night and i feel no guilt and no shame. i walked 9.7 miles just before ordering it and i'll walk another 9.7 miles today. those two long walks together actually burn more calories than are in an entire large pepperoni pizza! the only thing that matters for weight loss is "calories in vs. calories out".
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    No, you don't HAVE to. I didn't and I lost 35lbs so far. BUT, having lost 35lbs now I feel I have come to the point where I want to FEEL healthier, and have decided to start eating cleanER. It's only been a few days, but I already feel amazing. Will I go out this weekend, party and eat some junk? You bet. Will I come back on Monday and eat clean again? Yup.

Personal preference. 90/10 clean eating makes me feel good.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    <
    No!!! and also check out my ticker....... :glasses:

/thread

But you should eat enough quality foods to fuel your workouts so you don't suffer.
  • JilloftheDead
    JilloftheDead Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Nope :) I'm living proof you don't.. however, you do get to eat more food if you make better food choices.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options

nope!

i think it'll be much easier not trying to eat clean.

clean eating comes with all sorts of rules to follow, and feelings of guilt/shame when you don't strictly adhere to those rules. i think living that sort of life is MUCH harder than simply focusing on calories and macronutrients. i ate pizza last night and i feel no guilt and no shame. i walked 9.7 miles just before ordering it and i'll walk another 9.7 miles today. those two long walks together actually burn more calories than are in an entire large pepperoni pizza! the only thing that matters for weight loss is "calories in vs. calories out".

This. I lost my weight while not eating 'clean'. After I transitioned into maintenance I got sucked into the whole clean eating thing and tried it for 3 months-it only led to bad things, including me heading down the slippery slope of orthorexia. It didn't do anything magical for my body and health, and it sure didn't do anything good for my mental health. I realized what it was doing to me and I ditched it. Now I'm back to eating the things I enjoy, without labeling food good/bad, clean/dirty, and I have a healthy relationship with food again :smile:
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I eat ice cream and chocolate every day, even when cutting