Jogging for beginners

Options
Hey guys I am a beginner at jogging. I'm looking for any advice that you may have for me. I started my weight loss journey at 273 lbs (currently 226). I feel like I'm ready to try jogging. I have never liked running but its a new year & I'm ready for some new adventures!

Replies

• Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Start Couch to 5K. That's the best program for a new runner. Don't run too fast, though. This program is more about distance than speed.
  • adorable_aly
    adorable_aly Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I'd start with couch to 5k (c25k) which is a running programme that can be downloaded onto your phone, it's especially designed for people that haven't ran before.
  • adorable_aly
    adorable_aly Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Also, if you don't like running but want to exercise, why don't you just find something that you actually like doing?
  • kazwillimott
    kazwillimott Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    C25K is probably the best programme for you to try, I used it and found it really good, I may start using it again as I havnt been out running now for nearly a year so have lost the little fitness I had, I to hated running but found it very satisfying that I could do it without and even joined the park run family and ran 5k in 38mins not very fast but I did it!! good luck with it :smile:
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Agree with trying the C25k or something similar.

Also agree with choosing exercise that you actually enjoy, as you're far more likely to stick with it than if it's a chore you have to force yourself to endure.
  • eclaireya
    eclaireya Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I started running similarly- just decided one day I was going to try it and little by little built up until I was running a half marathon. Not fast mind you, but I did it and I loved it. Running also helped me go from 180 to 135 and put me in the best shape of my life.

The biggest piece of advice I could give you looking back, is to not neglect strength training and cross training. When I discovered running, I threw everything else out the window because I loved to run so much, but my desire to do much else disappeared. This was a mistake and suffered injury after injury. Doing it this way may be fine on lower mileage, but believe me once you get to 10 miles+, you want your quads and your core to be in good shape to avoid injuring your knees. I had problems with my knees and then with my hip and finally my back. Almost 2 years ago now they found that I have a herniated disc in my back and disc degenerative disease. I can no longer run and really anything other than yoga causes me pain as well.

So the moral of this story is run and love it (because you will!!) but remember to continue to strengthen your body to help you support your body and to avoid doing significant damage to it.

Have fun!
  • maz165
    maz165 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    C25K didn’t actually work well for me because it was almost too prescriptive. I think it is a fabulous program, but just wanted to chime in and say don’t get discouraged if it’s not for you!

My top tips for running:
    1. Put your shoes on. Go outside. Even if your brain the whole way through getting ready is saying NO NO NO DO NOT WANT TO NOT TODAY NO NO NO. Once you are out the door, you’re doing it.
    2. Don’t be afraid to walk. Run what you can. Walk when you have to. It’s still exercise and you’ll get better over time. Just enjoy it and listen to your body.
    3. Figure out what music or podcast motivates you as soon as you can. It helps tremendously.

Other than that, just put one foot in front of the other, figure out a pace that works for you, and have fun! Good luck!
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Hey guys I am a beginner at jogging. I'm looking for any advice that you may have for me. I started my weight loss journey at 273 lbs (currently 226). I feel like I'm ready to try jogging. I have never liked running but its a new year & I'm ready for some new adventures!

Check with your doctor first and make sure running/jogging is something that is safe for you. If you have any kind of knee or back problems, it's not a good idea, and you'll feel better knowing you have your doctor's stamp of approval first.
    Then see if you really do like it. If you don't, you won't stick with it.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I echo the Couch-2-5K Program if you want to start jogging. It may look daunting at first. Just take it one workout at a time and allow your body the rest is prescribes. Have fun.
  • cbc7909
    cbc7909 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    It may sound silly but I'm trying to get out of my comfort zone.
  • cbc7909
    Options
    Thank you! I'm going to try the C25k but if its not for me I will definitely not give up!
  • celtbell3
    celtbell3 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the wonderful world of running! Start with the couch to 5k program, as a beginning step. This program is specifically designed to assist with early anxiety, pushing you more a little each day - which is what running is all about. You're always trying to do better than the run before. Good luck!
  • Stripeness
    Stripeness Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    2. Don’t be afraid to walk. Run what you can. Walk when you have to. It’s still exercise and you’ll get better over time. Just enjoy it and listen to your body.

This! You only get 2 knees. Mine do not permit jogging/running when I'm over 200lbs. Others who are heavier have no problem. YMMV, just remember to pay attention and be patient. You'll get there.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

Not silly at all! I hate running, so what did I do? I made a goal to run 50 miles in January. Haha, that's the only way I can get my butt out to do it. Good luck! Just don't push yourself to the point of injury.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    Another vote for C25k. It worked wonders for me. Do yourself a favor and invest in some decent running shoes. Go to a reputable running store and let them check your stride and suggest a shoe. It's expensive, but the extra support you get makes a huge difference on your knees. $15 from wal-mart just aren't the same (I know this from experience).
  • Resolve2B
    Resolve2B Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss!!!

Agree with much of what is said. You only have one set of knees...they'll be happier if you wait til you have less weight pounding on them. How about elliptical til then? Walking FAST is also excellent exercise (especially if you seek out a hilly terrain) and much easier on the knees.

Bravo that you want to be out of your comfort zone. Great attitude!

Good luck!
  • cbc7909
    Options
    Thanks guys! I am going to try jogging today & see what I think! Thanks for the advice about shoes, knees etc. I hadn't even thought about it bothering my knees. I will definitely pay attention to that! Thanks so much the support here is awesome!
  • ramsx1991
    ramsx1991 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I did C25K and I didn't even enjoy running to begin with... But I ended up falling in love with it! Now I look forward to running. Just start out slow, don't go too fast, you will get there in time! The C25K is amazing.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    A good beginner plan: Map out a 2-mile route. The first day, walk the whole thing and time it. Log it. The next time you go out, your goal is to do it faster... Even if it's only by a few seconds. Do this every other day until you're jogging the whole thing. On off days, do strengthening and flexibility exercises.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options

No, that's the whole point. That's how a body gets stronger, mentally and physically.

Knees? Mine got stronger as I ran more and more. Just do it slowly.