What exercise do you do and how do you fit it in?

Options
I am a newbie here. I have decided enough is enough and have started tracking what I eat etc and also looking at exercise.

I am a full time working mum with 3 children. (5, 10, 11) and for the past year I have been doing Zumba classes 2 evenings a week. This is due to start again endish of Jan. In the meantime I am trying a quick 6-10 mins each morning sprint training on the rowing machine but I am thinking about upping my exercise. I am *thinking* about running.

What do you do etc and how do you fit it in?

Looking for inspiration.

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Good for you on making changes
    What are your goals? this will dictate your plan. If your goal is lose weight- keep in mind that is mostly a function of diet not working out- working out is because you want to be fit- feel better- improve your cardiovascular health- improve your muscle tone- things of that nature.

once you decide what your goals are- you can make a plan based on that.

As far as time? We all have 24 hrs in a day- I work 3 jobs - work out- train for my one job- go to class to support that- and balance an out of town relationship- do most of all my own cooking.

And much like the time I make for work so I can make money to pay my bills- I don't fit that in.

I make time for it.

You have kids right.
    They have to be at school? and then you have to pick them up right?

do you "fit that in" or do you just make time for it??

most of us make time for it- we don't fit it in. it's part of our lives because we insist that it be there.

Good luck with your new changes!!!
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Make time, get up an hour earlier then you normally do now.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I understand what you mean by "fitting it in." The only time I get to exercise is either nap time (if that happens) or after I put the kids to bed. Would love to just be able to do it before everyone needs to get up for school, but that isn't going to happen.

ETA: I do home workout DVDs that are about 30 minutes long. Occasionally I can fit in an hour but it's a rare event.
  • k1214
    k1214 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I also have 3 kids (7, 5, 4) so I get up and walk or run at 5:00 a.m. while the rest of my family are still sleeping. If I miss going that early (because it's early and cold out there!), I try to either walk or head to the Y on my lunch break at work. You just have to schedule time for exercise and work it in to your schedule so it becomes part of your normal routine. Good luck to you!!
  • jstika
    jstika Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I ride my bike to work, about 5 miles each way. Burns about 250 calories each way. That's how I get my exercise, but I don't have kids. I have a friend who walks or drives his kid to school then goes back home and bikes to work. It's all about priorities. If you think you can't do it then you won't do it.
  • cookiealbright
    cookiealbright Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I have a treadmill and walk on that for a mile after work or I go to the gym for an hour after work or I walk my dog for a mile or I do a workout DVD for half an hour. Depends on the day's schecule. Good luck to ya!
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Running. You need minimal equipment, can do it anytime you want and however long you want, and it burns the most calories.
  • jolodo
    jolodo Posts: 24
    Options
    I set my alarm for 5.20am Monday - Friday and workout for 30-45mins. Either treadmill, elliptical, dvd and/or power hoop. Nice to know it's done for the day then!!
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    I lift weights 3 days a week and I do that on my lunch break. I can get in and get out in about 45 minutes. Sometimes, on my rest days, I'll do 30 minutes of cardio, also on my lunchbreak. Due to children, work schedule of the fiance, bedtimes and such, my lunch break is the only time I can fit it in. It works for me, though.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Running. You need minimal equipment, can do it anytime you want and however long you want, and it burns the most calories.

Except calorie burn is not the be-all end-all of exercise. TBH, it's not even a worthy goal. It's much wiser to use cardiovascular exercise as needed to strengthen the heart and lungs, manage your deficit with dietary choices, and work in some resistance training to preserve muscle and bone density.

Someone stuck at home (no gym access) would be much better served doing plyometric/calisthenic exercises that offer some muscle resistance and can also increase heart rate to double-dip and get both benefits. Assuming time is extremely tight and so are resources.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    A noted above, it really does depend on your goals. If fat loss is your primary goal, then diet is going to be key. Beyond that, you may be considering fitness from either a cardiovascular health or musclular health (endurance, strength, mass). Regardless of the kind of fitness you're interested in, you should be able to build a program that you can do in 2 - 3 sessions per week.

Examples:
    - For cardiovascular health, you can do HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) two to three times per week, less than 45 minutes per sesson.
    - For muscular health, you can do a full body (e.g., 5x5) program two to three times per week, less than 60 minutes per session.

Many of us want a combination of both so we either cycle these (four weeks on one, then four weeks on the other) or we workout 5 - 6 times per week.

So, set your goals, them set your priorities.
  • Huffdogg
    Options
    Examples:
    - For cardiovascular health, you can do HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) two to three times per week, less than 45 minutes per sesson.
    - For muscular health, you can do a full body (e.g., 5x5) program two to three times per week, less than 60 minutes per session.

I always forget HIIT workouts. Hell, a real tabata-type workout can be under 15 minutes including warmup and cooldown assuming you have some way to generate the extreme heart-pounding intensity--exercise bike I believe was the original activity used for Tabata's experiments.
  • Huffdogg
    Options
    Examples:

I always forget HIIT workouts. Hell, a real tabata-type workout can be under 15 minutes including warmup and cooldown assuming you have some way to generate the extreme heart-pounding intensity--exercise bike I believe was the original activity used for Tabata's experiments.

Ooops. Just noted OP said rowing machine is available. Depending on the type of machine, this could be viable.
  • just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    Options
    I try to get up early in the mornings to hit the gym but because of the weather (bitter COLD) I haven't been doing that. Instead I go in the afternoons. My typical workout is 30 min of cardio -- I run 4 days a week and do the arc trainer 1 day -- followed by 45-60 minutes of lifting.

If I don't make it to the gym I'll either run on my treadmill at home or do an exercise video.
  • 2PieceNow
    2PieceNow Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    On my weight loss journey, I have found what works for one doesn't work for all!! I like to run but I started with coach to 5 K. I also think you should join a gym or a weight loss group! They just keep you motivated and most are inexpensive! I love the YMCA! There are exercises for everyone! Try Zumba classes!! They are fun and uplifting, just don't be discouraged that's the main thing! Everyone going in doesn't start out knowing all the moves or exercises!! Take one day at a time and keep saying "I can" I have lost 70 lbs and it's taken me two years!! I am almost 50 (tomorrow is my b day) and I have a slooowwww metabolism!!! Don't be too hard on yourself and use the tools here and track your food!! Good luck and you can friend me, I had to get a new acct. her because my old acct. was hacked!!!
    Joleen
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i wake up early. really early.

rowing is great, and you can do a lot of great work outs with it. it might have to be more than 6 minutes though. there are a lot of great crossfit style work outs with rowing, but i can't seem to find them right now.
  • aliencheesecake
    aliencheesecake Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I am a stay at home mom, and also a student, and it can be hard to find big chunks of time to exercise all at once, so I often do ten minutes of power yoga here, 10 minutes of circuit training there. I find this also keeps me from getting bored with one long spell of exercise and allows me to get my heart rate up several times a day for a quick energy boost.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Examples:

Isn't Tabata 4 minutes only?

HIIT are typically 10-15 minutes- I've done 24 minutes- two 12 minute sessions with a brief bathroom break- but I thought Tabata was a HIIT that was specifically 4 minutes? (with various splits or are those fixed?)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I have weights at home and lift 3x a week. It takes about 30-45mins max (atm)

Since the new year I have started doing HIIT on my off days (Tu/Th and maybe sat) which atm takes 21mins.

Found some on fitnessblender.com

I am a full time working wife/mom...although my son is now 19 so not as hard....but still a pain in my butt...hehe

I usually do it right when I get home because there is a husband in the house. He cooks while I workout and I clean up after.

No reason as a couple you can't share the work so you can concentrate on your for 30-40mins.
  • aliencheesecake
    aliencheesecake Posts: 570 Member
    Options

Someone stuck at home (no gym access) would be much better served doing plyometric/calisthenic exercises that offer some muscle resistance and can also increase heart rate to double-dip and get both benefits. Assuming time is extremely tight and so are resources.

That's what I do often. Use plyometrics and calisthenics in a tabata style routine. Good hard workout, minimal time and space!!!