Made it thru the weekend, now I'm in it for the long haul

Options
I made it thru the weekend, which is the hardest part for me..Now the kids are in school, Hubby is sleeping (he works nights) and it's just me and my baby until 2:30 p.m. I went to the grocery store yesterday and forced myself to buy me some "healthier" foods that I enjoy..I am not used to that. I always put myself last and this time I put me first :)
I had a nice low fat/calorie breakfast and I feel satisfied. It's funny how you get in the habit of eating junk food all the time and when you change your eating to a healthier way, you don't feel so full or bloated or bogged down..Even tho I've only lost a couple pounds so far, I feel lighter..
I'm having a hard time with my exercise..I sold my treadmill *:sniff sniff* before we moved and I am not sure what the best exercise is for me..I guess walking the baby around the neighborhood pushing the stroller would count??
I have had 5 babies, and I carry more weight around my stomach..My butt and legs don't look so bad :), so if anyone could suggest exercises that focus on the stomach/ and upper body, I would appreciate it..
Feel free to ad me as a friend..I can use all the help and motivation I can get!!

Replies

• missouri_rain
    missouri_rain Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    You are doing fantastic, good for you putting "YOU" first
  • pink_butterfly
    Options
    Sounds like you're on the right track for sure, you may be my motivation for sure! :) Adding you as a friend if thats ok?
  • andeeinevansville
    Options
    Thank You! I'm trying to "find myself" again...with kids and work and hubby and daily life, I feel like I have lost my identity...
    Hope you have a great and successful day :)
  • andeeinevansville
    Options
    Yes, please add me as a friend!!
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear you are putting your health as a priority. It's not selfish, you are giving yourself health so that you will have something to give to your family. You are being an example to them of how you should look after yourself, eat healthy and exercise. The wii fit can be alot of fun and great exercise. I would also recommend doing pilates. It will get your core muscles (stomach) to resurface. Start gentle. I like Katrina pilates on utube. She has some easy warm up ones to start with and moves into more intense work outs. Good luck to you, it is a long haul and I in it too, so you are welcome to add me as a friend. Slow and steady wins the race.
    Shel
  • suzikelley
    suzikelley Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Yes! Loading the baby in the stroller and going for a nice walk definitely counts, and you'd be surprised how many calories you can burn just going for a brisk walk! And babies LOVE walks!! :-) Good for you for putting yourself first! You deserve it! Us Moms have a responsibility to our families to take good care of ourselves. If you're running on fumes, you can't very well take good care of them. I've had 4 babies (so I know where you're coming from), and I've only been doing this for a little over 2 weeks, (4 lbs. lighter now!) and I already feel so much better! Eating right, drinking lots of water, and exercising regularly is something I've always "known" is the right way to live -- but like a lot of Moms, I always put myself on the back burner. Giving excuses like, "We can't afford healthy food right now" or "I don't have time to exercise" or "I just don't like to drink water." Then a friend told me about this site, and something just clicked. I MAKE time for myself. I budget in the healthy food, and I got the crap food outta the house! (my hubby and kids don't need it either!) The support and people here are AMAZING... no other word for it. Amazing! You can do this, you deserve this, and there is a heck of a lot of tools and friends who will help you along your way! GOOD FOR YOU for taking this step!
  • ebert5150
    ebert5150 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Pushing the baby definitely counts. My wife did this with our son and it really helped her. Walking for an hour can burn off alot of calories, especially when you're pushing a little one! Good luck!!!
  • BigGail
    BigGail Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're doing great already but what I found brilliant was our Baby Bjorn Active carrier - strap the baby in that - it has longer straps than a regular Baby Bjorn, especially for people with a bigger frame, and an extra lumbar support section so you don't strain your back. I carried my son in ours till he was 26lbs and he and I loved it - you can be close to baby and give them a cuddle and at the same time you're adding a bit of resistance to your walking! I also bought a fleece cover to pop over it in the winter - you can pick them up quite reasonably on ebay now and the resale value is good too - I bought mine for £55 and sold it for £43 on ebay after 4 years of use with my son and daughter. Pilates and yoga are all free on youtube and will help a great deal too.
  • andeeinevansville
    Options
    Thanks so much for the info! :smile: