Help counting calories burned doing chores.

So my nightly routine goes something like this--feed/water /clean the horse, sheep, chickens, bring in wood for the night, do random chores, put away dishes, clean house, give my son his bath and play with him, knit for an hour or so. How would you count calories for those activites or would they just go under maintance.

Replies

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    I wouldn't record them as exercise, I would just make sure my settings reflect the amount of daily activity (sedentary, lightly active, etc). I only record workouts as exercise.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Maintenance. If that's stuff you do daily, it's not a workout for your body.

And knitting calories? No.
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    If that's something you do every night, I would just factor that in when setting your daily calorie goal.
  • fat2strongbeth
    fat2strongbeth Posts: 735 Member
    I wouldn't record them as exercise, I would just make sure my settings reflect the amount of daily activity (sedentary, lightly active, etc). I only record workouts as exercise.

I agree with this. Set your daily activity to at least lightly active and MFP will take into account your daily activity when setting your calorie goal.
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    I wouldn't.
    I only count calories for true exercise.
  • AlyssaJoJo
    AlyssaJoJo Posts: 449 Member
    Maintenance. If that's stuff you do daily, it's not a workout for your body.

And knitting calories? No.

False. Even MFP recently posted a blog about how these activities DO count.

But I agree in the fact that you should change your activity level before trying to add all that in as working out. Even more if it's something you do every day. It should bump you up a good amount of calories.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    A Fitbit would be helpful for all but the knitting. But I agree you probably will go nuts trying to quantify everything you do with a calorie value. It's not necessary and it's all rough estimates and would probably hurt your progress to even consider, so why bother.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member

I agree with this. Set your daily activity to at least lightly active and MFP will take into account your daily activity when setting your calorie goal.

I would say moderately active. Mine is set to lightly active, and I sit at a desk typing on the computer for 8 hours a day.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    I agree that's a good amount of calorie burn. But, if its your daily routine, then it should be accounted for in your set-up as part of your basic metabolic use.
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 671 Member
    I agree that's a good amount of calorie burn. But, if its your daily routine, then it should be accounted for in your set-up as part of your basic metabolic use.

Agree, agree, agree. Keep in mind that if those are the things you are already doing, they haven't gotten you to the fitness level you want now. Don't include things you did before if you want to make changes. The calorie allowance will fool you into thinking you can eat more and that you have done more. Those are great activities and have made you a healthier person already, but if you are moving it to a new level, don't count the past.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    wouldn't count them..
  • I doubted knitting would burn much but a girl can hope......I do walk or do some actual for of exercise also but that obviously falls into the exercise category so I did not list it. I follow the Big Band exercise program. I walk on the treadmill while watching Big Bang every night.