learning how to run but have ?

I want to start running but it is so cold here with ice and snow. My ? is can I learn how to run using the treadmill or should I not do this. I am very over weight 80 pounds and not sure just how to start this please help. Thanks
Sorry I posted this to the wrong message board

Replies

• Ainar
    Ainar Posts: 858 Member
    Treadmill is just as good as ground. Where you run is your preference. Don't overthink things. Just go and move, do something, that's how you start.

If you are really out of shape don't just jump in running straight from the start. Start with fast walking. Then if you feel it's too easy go and switch, or mix, it with running.
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Treadmills are dull but they're still running, get your technique, shed a few lbs and then once the weather improves you can hit the road and really find out the joys of running. Good luck with it.
  • Treadmil is great. I would do intervals of walking/running and increase the running time as you can. Do you have a HR monitor? If so, find out what you max HR is 220-age. Start with 75 or 80 percent of that number for 9 minute/85 percent for 1. Depending on how much time you have. I have seen my trainer start very overweight people at this for 60 minutes 6 times a week. Increase the 85 percent number one minute per week. Treadmil is great because you can control this easily by increasing incline or running. In no time, you will be running. All of this is if you are givin permission by your MD of course.
  • Stripeness
    Stripeness Posts: 511 Member
    You can certainly start on the treadmill. Absolutely, YES!

If you google Couch to 5K, or Hal Higdon Novice 5K, you can find guidance on getting started. There's no rule about doing your mileage indoors vs. outdoors. If you're not already walking, pay attention to how your knees feel about running!

When you do switch to outdoors, you may need to adjust your time/distance for a few weeks, because there are small differences.

Is it *better* to walk outdoors, all other things being equal? Sure. But on the treadmill, "you'll still be running laps around the person who's still on the couch."

Go for it!

P.S. As you can see, I've got ~the same amount to lose as you. It's -5 degrees, and I'm putting on my hiking boots and Stabilicers (grippy things for ice), and going for a walk. Because my knees won't let me run until I'm under 200 lbs. YMMV, just DO it!
  • _jayciemarie_
    _jayciemarie_ Posts: 574 Member
    I started at 231lbs. All I could do is walk for 20-25 increments. I built myself up to walking for 45minutes. Then to an hour. Now I'm doing a modified version of the C25K. I was able to run 5.12 miles in 60 minutes last night. It was my best ever. I didn't run the entire time. I'm building to that. I like running on the treadmill because it controls my speed. Also--I really feel it less harsh on my knees. Also, I just bought a nice pair of Brooks running shoes. They made a huge difference.

Don't give up. Don't try to run a marathon your first time out. LISTEN to your body!!!!!