Logging strength training

Options
I logged a bunch of strength training exercises to my daily exercise log and it shows no credit for time and/or calories. I don't see any other way to log them. Please help.

Replies

• beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    I logged a bunch of strength training exercises to my daily exercise log and it shows no credit for time and/or calories. I don't see any other way to log them. Please help.

You log in the specific lifts/weights/reps under strength training. Then log your time spent in the cardio section above that under "strength training". It's just an estimate of calories since everyone lifts/rests/etc. differently.
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    When you use the strength training section it's only for your future reference. If you want to add the calories to your daily goal, go to the cardio exercise section and log the minutes that you spent strength training. That's the only way that MFP knows how many minutes you spent doing it.
  • Chellellelle
    Chellellelle Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I log in the strength training calories under cardio. That way you can enter your own amount (or use MFP to estimate)
  • cindyj7
    cindyj7 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Yep, like the previous posters said - I log all of my individual strength training exercises in the strength training section, then use my HRM to record the time and calories burned under the cardio section. Good luck! :smile:
  • christinemadden0223
    christinemadden0223 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Both of the above are correct, but I've found the strength training cals to be WAY off for me. I suggest getting a heart rate monitor (I LOVE mine from polar) with a chest strap that measures calories burned and then you can adjust. It's also a good indication of how hard you're working the weights and how much rest you need in between. For example, on certain exercises my HR gets to 170 (walking lunges, squats) so I wait til I come back down to 140 before I start my next set and I try to never get below 120 when weight training so I keep a steady calorie burn.
    Best of luck!
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Both of the above are correct, but I've found the strength training cals to be WAY off for me. I suggest getting a heart rate monitor (I LOVE mine from polar) with a chest strap that measures calories burned and then you can adjust. It's also a good indication of how hard you're working the weights and how much rest you need in between. For example, on certain exercises my HR gets to 170 (walking lunges, squats) so I wait til I come back down to 140 before I start my next set and I try to never get below 120 when weight training so I keep a steady calorie burn.
    Best of luck!

Using a HRM to monitor your heart rate to determine rest sessions is fine. But I believe that it can not accurately measure calories burned while lifting weights, as HRMs measure the calories burned in steady state cardio.
  • mamamia7712
    mamamia7712 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I purchased a Body Media tracker and I have been noticing amazing results. First, it tracks all of my activity all day long even saw that I had vigorous exercise for some period of time while shoveling. So, it makes me move more throughout the day. Next, it automatically syncs to its activity monitor and to MyFitnessPal. I don't have to log my activity points, it does it for me. Finally, the dashboard makes it abundantly clear what my calorie deficit is. It bases its monitoring to your body temperature and your heart rate and adjusts over time.

Now, all of these monitors tend to report your calories burned a bit lower than they actually are. However, it is still very worth having as it sames me money and motivates me to keep going.
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't log it. It's never gonna be accurate anyway. I just stick to my daily allowance and know that my lifting is going great!!

I always eat/drink protein 15 minutes after a good weight session.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't log it. It's never gonna be accurate anyway. I just stick to my daily allowance and know that my lifting is going great!!

I always eat/drink protein 15 minutes after a good weight session.

This is what I do. Don't log calories burned during weight or strength training because the MFP estimate is going to be very off. It doesn't know how long you rested between sets and how far you pushed yourself. HRMs are going to be inaccurate for strength training as well, since they are meant for steady state cardio.

If you simply want to add calories from your workout so you can eat more, eat your maintenance calories or slightly below that on weight training days.
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I purchased a Body Media tracker and I have been noticing amazing results. First, it tracks all of my activity all day long even saw that I had vigorous exercise for some period of time while shoveling. So, it makes me move more throughout the day. Next, it automatically syncs to its activity monitor and to MyFitnessPal. I don't have to log my activity points, it does it for me. Finally, the dashboard makes it abundantly clear what my calorie deficit is. It bases its monitoring to your body temperature and your heart rate and adjusts over time.

Now, all of these monitors tend to report your calories burned a bit lower than they actually are. However, it is still very worth having as it sames me money and motivates me to keep going.

I second the BodyMedia suggestion. Mine tracks my weight sessions very closely to estimates.