Anyone with only 10 lbs to lose able to do it in 3 months?

Options
I've been sitting at 116-117 for the past few years and I would really love to get down to 105 by April.

Anyone able to lose the "last 10 lbs" in a relatively short timeframe and if so, what did you do?

For reference, I am a touch under 5 feet, 39 year old female.

I went from zero exercise to jogging 2-3x/week and 2-3 cardio sculpt classes a week (averaging about 5 days/week)

I logged my fitbit calories burned and I average about 1700-1800 calories burned a day.

I am trying to eat around 1400-1600 calories to get a net deficit of 200-300 calories.

Any tips or critique on my plan?

Replies

• TommyJensen1987
    Options
    That sounds doable. You are going to lose a little less than a pound a week on your plan so the total lost for a month should be about 3.

I might increase the deficit some, just to make sure you hit the target on the deadline. Worst case you are done before you have to be.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    ditch the scales and ditch some of the cardio... you dont need to lose 10lbs, you just need to lose some bodyfat for a more 'toned' look.

ensure you are getting enough protein 90-100g per day and do some strength/resistance training 3 x per week
  • littlemissfitnurse
    Options
    Try adding a strength training exercise. I'm not sure if you have a gym membership, but 24 hour fitness offers free classes for this. BODYPUMP is a really great class. You will lose the fatty weight but gain healthy, lean muscle weight. You will definitely see physical results if you keep it up. Another recommendation would be INSANITY. Anybody can do it and it's intense cardio in the comfort of your own home. I track a 500 calorie loss with a 30 minute workout. If you will start a strength/resistance exercise program, my best recommendation to you would be to add a calcium, magnesium and vitamin D supplement. Let me know if you have any questions, I'd be happy to help! :smile:
  • nikkohli
    nikkohli Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I think you can do it but you may need to tighten up your diet (I mean, generally for anyone trying to do that--I didn't look to see your diet). Sometimes exercise isn't enough to drop those last few. Just watch sodium, protein, and junk. I am generally a IIFYM kinda gal, but I know when I was trying to drop those last 10 the LAST time I had to really cut down on some of the extra treats that fit into my macros and cals. Might not be that way for everyone but my body just wanted to hang on to them.....It just gets harder the closer to goal and weight loss can be infuriatingly unpredictable!
    I am trying to drop those last 10 again so friend me if you'd like to share the journey :)
  • ilove2hope2
    ilove2hope2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have lost about 24 lbs in 2 months. Too help you reduce your weight I would recommend increasing your fiber intake. Honestly, many people tend to become fixated on obtaining a certain weight when the the best indicator for health is body fat percent. I would strongly recommend you gauge your body fat in lieu of weight. Given you are 5'9 sitting at 116 it truly may not be in your best interest to weigh 107 lbs. You will inevitably catch a cold or something and lose more weight and the results may not be to your liking. I would suggest you replace one day of your cardio day with strength training for your lowering body at the least.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Given you are 5'9 sitting at 116 it truly may not be in your best interest to weigh 107 lbs.

She says shes UNDER 5' at 115-116 lbs. Low 100's is a perfectly reasonable weight for her, if that's where she wants to be.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    ditch the scales and ditch some of the cardio... you dont need to lose 10lbs, you just need to lose some bodyfat for a more 'toned' look.

ensure you are getting enough protein 90-100g per day and do some strength/resistance training 3 x per week

Yeah...I don't think it's a weight issue...it's a body composition issue. The only way to improve your body composition is with resistance work...no amount of dieting or cardio is going to do it.

Personally, I'd eat at a very slight deficit or even to maintenance and hit the weight room along with some cardio for cardiovascular fitness and endurance...but the resistance training is what is going to give you "the body."
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    My initial goal weight was 120lbs (I'm 5'4), and I went from 130 to 120 in 11 weeks, so just under 3 months. I then lost another 4lbs in 6 weeks. So I think it's quite possible.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    That sounds doable. You are going to lose a little less than a pound a week on your plan so the total lost for a month should be about 3.

I might increase the deficit some, just to make sure you hit the target on the deadline. Worst case you are done before you have to be.

Noooooooooooo

Based on the post she is already buring 1600-1700 and only eating 1400-1600...that means she is at 0 calories...or less

I highly doubt it's that high of a burn but as mentioned before...ditch the scale and cardio and start lifting.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I don't know for sure but when I first cut my calories down to <1200/day I was able to lose 12 lbs in 2 months then they creeped back once my body is adjusted to the new energy income...
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

Noooooooooooo

Based on the post she is already buring 1600-1700 and only eating 1400-1600...that means she is at 0 calories...or less

I highly doubt it's that high of a burn but as mentioned before...ditch the scale and cardio and start lifting.

How are you getting zero calories out of her post? She is using a FitBit and eating a daily 200 calorie deficit from her total daily burn. That sounds perfect for a small person wanting to lose those last 10 lbs.
  • speedy740
    speedy740 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I am 5"1' I was 122 now down to 100 it took me a year to get here. I followed a strict 1200 diet but overage on fruit in the beginning which is why it too me so long to lose weight-I believe. So to do it again I would say without my fruit overload in the beginning I would think a 10 lb loss would have taken me a good 5-6 months. We are prob close to the same.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    It sounds doable, but do this instead, as you are likely just unhappy with your appearance, and not your weight.

• jjennyb4
    jjennyb4 Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    I'm 32 going on 33, 5'3" and currently weigh 114.5lbs. My goal weight is 105lbs and I would love to reach it before bikini season!!!!! I currently eat 1200 calories a day and work out 45 minutes a day. I would love to have more friends with simmilar goals. Please add me :)
  • Jambalady
    Jambalady Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Try adding a strength training exercise. I'm not sure if you have a gym membership, but 24 hour fitness offers free classes for this. BODYPUMP is a really great class. You will lose the fatty weight but gain healthy, lean muscle weight. You will definitely see physical results if you keep it up. Another recommendation would be INSANITY. Anybody can do it and it's intense cardio in the comfort of your own home. I track a 500 calorie loss with a 30 minute workout. If you will start a strength/resistance exercise program, my best recommendation to you would be to add a calcium, magnesium and vitamin D supplement. Let me know if you have any questions, I'd be happy to help! :smile:

I take cardio sculpt, so the majority of the class is weights, resistance bands, medicine ball with 1-2 minute intervals of cardio thrown in between sets.

Think Jillian Michael's but a bit more hardcore. Is that what you are talking about or pure weights?
  • Jambalady
    Options
    I think you can do it but you may need to tighten up your diet (I mean, generally for anyone trying to do that--I didn't look to see your diet). Sometimes exercise isn't enough to drop those last few. Just watch sodium, protein, and junk. I am generally a IIFYM kinda gal, but I know when I was trying to drop those last 10 the LAST time I had to really cut down on some of the extra treats that fit into my macros and cals. Might not be that way for everyone but my body just wanted to hang on to them.....It just gets harder the closer to goal and weight loss can be infuriatingly unpredictable!
    I am trying to drop those last 10 again so friend me if you'd like to share the journey :)

I try to stay under 100 grams of carbs a day. What is a good ration of macros?
  • Jambalady
    Options

Noooooooooooo

Just so it is not confusing, my total calories burned for the day is 1600-1700. not my exercise calories. I get about 300 exercise calories a day.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

I try to stay under 100 grams of carbs a day. What is a good ration of macros?

I go with 40/30/30. I try to get about 115 g of protein a day. It has made a huge difference in my results.
  • pistachiopeas
    pistachiopeas Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    My initial goal weight was 120lbs (I'm 5'4), and I went from 130 to 120 in 11 weeks, so just under 3 months. I then lost another 4lbs in 6 weeks. So I think it's quite possible.

How did you do it?