never thought i'd have this problem

Options
i can't seem to eat ALL of my daily calories lol. any advice? or is it absolutely necessary to eat every single calorie?

Replies

• beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    The best way to make sure you eat all your calories a day, is to add calorie dense foods to your diet. Avoid all the "low fat" products and eat full fat dairy (like cheese, milk, yogurt, etc.). When I am needing some calories to finish my day there is nothing better than a spoon and some peanut butter.

A few calories off either way is no big deal. But if you consistently go under - you might not be meeting the nutritional needs of your body.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Why can't you?
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    No. You don't have to eat all your calories every single day. Most days you should try. Some days you will be over and some days you will be under. If you prefer, you can average your weekly calories and see where you land. There are LOTS of ways to get to the same goal. Don't let the calorie Nazi's tell you different.
  • goku89
    goku89 Posts: 160
    Options
    Why can't you?
    well i'm not sure really, i just prepare my food before i go to work, then (i do gluten free on days i work i have problems with that, could be why) then i add up everything i ate, and i'll still have 500 or 300 or less calories left. i eat the greek yogurt and i bet its probably because of the gluten free, otherwise im not sure.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Then I guess the next question is: why do gluten free on the days you work? (Or I should say, why only on the days you work if you have an intolerance, and why at all if you don't?)
  • goku89
    goku89 Posts: 160
    Options
    Then I guess the next question is: why do gluten free on the days you work? (Or I should say, why only on the days you work if you have an intolerance, and why at all if you don't?)
    im' not sure WHY but i have a food allergy to it, and it very much effects my work performance.
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Are you sure your measures are correct. Underestimating food volume is a common mistake. Are you weighing your food with a kitchen scale? Maybe you are not under on your calories.
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    im' not sure WHY but i have a food allergy to it, and it very much effects my work performance.

No. There is no such thing as an allergy that only applies certain days of the week.

This gluten-free nonsense has gotten way out of hand.
  • shoneybabes
    shoneybabes Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I dont always eat all my calories. It is worse now that i have cut a lot of the junk out of my life. But I eat what I can. I always have snacks of almonds or Nakd bits to tide the hunger until my next meal.

I also drink fresh fruit juice or soy milk to bulk up the calories.
  • knutsk
    knutsk Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Calorie dense, healthy foods are great. Consider nuts, especially. Healthy fats, calorie dense.
  • BlakeHorton
    BlakeHorton Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Can't see your body stats so I can only give you a general answer. A good rule of thumb when eating at a deficit would be to try to average out your calorie goal over every couple of days. Hopefully your deficit is safe to begin with. Your body can only utilize so much energy from fat stores (varies based on the amount of body fat you have) before it defaults to using lean body mass for energy; meaning you risk losing muscle/bone mass if you continually eat at too great of a deficit. Eat calorie dense foods if you're really not hungry.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Why can't you?
    well i'm not sure really, i just prepare my food before i go to work, then (i do gluten free on days i work i have problems with that, could be why) then i add up everything i ate, and i'll still have 500 or 300 or less calories left. i eat the greek yogurt and i bet its probably because of the gluten free, otherwise im not sure.
    Plan better. That key period is when you're preparing your food. Add in things that are higher in calories (nuts, a hard boiled egg, cheese etc)
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Try logging and planning your food before you prepare it, then you have no excuse!

I really wish there was a calorie adoption agency. I'd happily take others calories for them....I could easily eat mine plus some!
  • Quieau
    Quieau Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I fret over this. I often leave 500-1000 on the table but I always eat a minimum of 2000 gross, so it seems like I'm getting plenty of nutrition. But I worry about whether I'm doing any subtle cumulative long term damage to my body or metabolic rate by not eating them ALL back.

But since I rely on the database instead of an HRM (waiting for the release of the one I really want, the Amiigo) and want to account for inaccuracies, and I work out 1000-1500 calories a day. This is just for the enjoyment of moving, not anything crazy like hard core biking. I do the elliptical and Wii games/aerobics in my basement.

I am losing pretty steadily, but hoping my luck holds out with my metabolism (only 1/3 there! long road!) and that I'm not doing something dumb by leaving those calories uneaten in the long term.