Dumb question about crockpot cooking

2»

Replies

• lkweber21
    lkweber21 Posts: 27 Member
    It depends on what you are making. This morning I put a whole chicken in the crockpot with no water. The chicken is full of moisture itself and so you don't need to add water. The recipe confirmed this.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    I use the crockpot once every 3 months and I'm trying to use it more, lol. Just trying to avoid using broth and creams to limit sodium.
  • Wow thanks for posting about the crock pot bags...I will be going low carbs more meat and it sounds like a great way to keep the meat moist tender juicy..easy breezy with the bags too..
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    I've never seen any!
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    What kind of frozen food? Technically, I don't think you're supposed to use frozen meat for food safety reasons.

Say what? I cook frozen chicken in my crock pot all the time-dump some frozen chicken breasts in and then either add spices or bbq sauce and a few hours later dinner is good to go. I've never heard of not cooking frozen meat in a crock pot before.

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/wcm/connect/a181017c-cc51-4261-bfeb-f78cfc24c022/Slow_Cookers_and_Food_Safety.pdf?MOD=AJPERES

ETA: Not saying I've never done it -- but I guess depending on how hot your crock pot cooks, it can be an issue.

I've heard about not cooking frozen foods as well but I'll keep doing it until the day I get sick! ha ha

I worked in a restaurant for a while, so I know all kinds of weird food rules. I break most at home -- but this one is definitely one I think people should be aware of. If you have a crock pot that doesn't get hot enough and you use frozen meat (esp. chicken), foods can appear "cooked" even though their internal temp never got to a safe number. My crockpot can boil liquid after 4 hours on the high setting, so I don't really worry about it. But I've had crockpots that never got close to boiling on high for like 8 hours, so.
  • chemteacher1987
    chemteacher1987 Posts: 68 Member
    I will only add water (and a little bit at that) if what I am making is something that is dry. If it is a high moisture food, then adding the water is unnecessary
  • chemteacher1987
    chemteacher1987 Posts: 68 Member
    What kind of frozen food? Technically, I don't think you're supposed to use frozen meat for food safety reasons.

Say what? I cook frozen chicken in my crock pot all the time-dump some frozen chicken breasts in and then either add spices or bbq sauce and a few hours later dinner is good to go. I've never heard of not cooking frozen meat in a crock pot before.

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/wcm/connect/a181017c-cc51-4261-bfeb-f78cfc24c022/Slow_Cookers_and_Food_Safety.pdf?MOD=AJPERES

ETA: Not saying I've never done it -- but I guess depending on how hot your crock pot cooks, it can be an issue.

I've heard about not cooking frozen foods as well but I'll keep doing it until the day I get sick! ha ha

I worked in a restaurant for a while, so I know all kinds of weird food rules. I break most at home -- but this one is definitely I think people should be aware of. If you have a crock pot that doesn't get hot enough and you use frozen meat (esp. chicken), foods can appear "cooked" even though their internal temp never got to a safe number. My crockpot can boil liquid after 4 hours on the high setting, so I don't really worry about it. But I've had crockpots that never got close to boiling on high for like 8 hours, so.

I always cook the meat first. That way I know that it is cooked. And when I use the crock pot the meat does not dry out, because of the other ingredients that I am cooking it with.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member

Frozen meat in a crock pot, or even a pressure cooker is just fine. You just probably don't want to pan fry a frozen chicken breast.
  • just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    I put frozen meat in my crock pot all the time. The whole point is to just dump all the ingredients in and let it cook for the day. If I have to defrost the meat then cook it to make sure it's cooked before I put it in the crock pot I might as well just make that for dinner since I'm going through the process any way.
  • ren_ascent
    ren_ascent Posts: 432 Member
    Nope. I made a chicken burrito mix and all the tomatos provided enough liquid. Any extra would have made it a soup and that wasn't what I was looking for.
  • helenmelon29
    helenmelon29 Posts: 787 Member
    I have put pheasant in the slow cooker today rubbed with garlic & butter and added some red wine which i will thicken to make a gravy. Didnt add any actual water though. Think it depends on what you are making.

I put frozen veg in but not meat - I just get out the freezer the night before to defrost before cooking,
  • angiechristi
    angiechristi Posts: 8 Member
    I find them at my local big box store. They are called "Crockpot Liners", you can find them in the aisle near the foil and plastic wrap.
  • Not always. I put whole chicken in the crock pot and don't add anything else because it makes its own juices.
  • lindsaylove07
    lindsaylove07 Posts: 444 Member

I must have a great immune system, because I pre make meals, freeze them, then toss them in the crock pot, meat and all. NEVER had a problem

Also, slow cooker liners are THE BOMB
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member

Frozen meat in a crock pot, or even a pressure cooker is just fine. You just probably don't want to pan fry a frozen chicken breast.

According to the USDA no frozen meat in a crock pot, but pressure cooker is ok. Again, I use frozen meat too, but I can also check internal temp with a thermometer and know my pot runs hot.