Last supper eating averted!

Options
tannadine
tannadine Posts: 115 Member
I just wanted to share a wee moment of triumph I had there.

I have resolved to start my diet again tomorrow after falling off of the wagon (and under the wheels) over the Christmas and New Year's period. Normally what happens when I say I am going to start a new diet I binge the day before, kind of like a final farewell to all my favourite foods that are going to be restricted or (whisper it) banned. I know you shouldn't really ban anything (since it leads to this kind of thinking along with other unhealthy thought patterns), but that's always been the way I've felt when I've started a new diet.

Anyway, I went across to the shops on an errand for my boss and I fully intended to buy a packet of liquorice comfits and some Lindt chocolate bars, and have a wee binge before 'being good' tomorrow. In I went, and I picked up the bars of chocolate. I went round the shop with them, getting the other things I had to buy, and then stood in line for a till to open. And then I put them back. I just walked over and put them back in their box on the shelf, like it was no big deal. Inside my heart was hammering. I just kept thinking, 'nothing changes if nothing changes'.

I've been on the merry-go-round of diet-binge-guilt-promise to diet-binge repeat for the past two weeks, and I'm sick of this ride. I need to realise that what I am doing has to be a complete lifestyle change to have any hope of working long term (i.e. it can't be some faddy diet that I am always waiting to fall off the wagon with). I feel more optimistic now I've broken the 'binge' part of going on another diet. Here's to a binge free remainder of the day :)

Replies

• elainemorris1982
    elainemorris1982 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Thats a great start and great attitude. As you said its a lifestyle change. One day at a time. Best of luck for 2014 xxx
  • daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Oh how I remember the "last supper" or final meal mentality. I went through that so many times, binging on pizza and cake etc the night before starting a diet. It actually makes me cringe now to think have ridiculous it was :) I was sabatoging myself before even getting started :(

You have already started strong even before starting. You will struggle along the way but keep reminding yourself of that day in the store where you were able to put that candy back instead of binging on it. You will need moments like that to pull you through the next time you have the urge to grab a bunch of candy.

You can do this :)
  • jasper186
    jasper186 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Good for you, what a great start. I tell myself if I really want something I can have it tomorrow. Sometimes I still crave it but usually once tomorrow comes I'm over it. If you indulge log it and move on. Good luck to you:smile:
  • tannadine
    tannadine Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your replies, they really mean a lot!

Yes, hopefully this is a lifestyle change this time - all the best to you for your own journeys x
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    It takes time, and it can be difficult...but ultimately for "lifestyle" change to happens requires a change of mindset and looking at the big picture. Instead of having a bad day or week or holiday season and saying, "ok...have to start over with a new diet" you need just acknowledge that it was a bad day and move on and keep on with where you left off.

Like I said, this is easier said than done...but ultimately, you have to realize you're not going to be 100% on all of the time...you're going to have bad days, and bad weeks, and bad months...you're going to miss workouts from time to time (like I did yesterday because the poop hit the fan at work)...it happens...those things are a part of life. You simply shrug them off and get back to it.

There is no finish line...your health, nutrition, and fitness are lifetime endeavors and as such, you will always be challenging yourself to do better than yesterday and you will have times when you fall down...but you just get back up and keep going. You can't let a fall keep you down. Like my 4 y.o. says to my 18 m.o. when he falls down..."Henry...when you fall down, you don't cry...you get back up." (It's actually very cute and I'm proud that I taught him that).