My daily coffee/tea (sugar vs splenda war)

Options
13»

Replies

• mulchingoverwinter
    mulchingoverwinter Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    HONEY all the way baby!
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Splenda is nasty imo. All artificial sweeteners are nasty to me. I use Stevia in my coffee, but if you don't like that...then that one is out. I use honey in my tea. There is no way you would ever be able to taste honey in coffee...unless you put in a LOT! I saw a guy at Starbucks put in at LEAST 10 packets of honey into his coffee! He should have just gone with a little bit of sugar at that point.

My advice: just cut back on sugar. Put in half the amount you are putting in now. You can "retrain" you tastebuds. That's what I did to break my "sugar addiction."
  • annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    i drink my tea plain most of the time. But if I had to, I'd do some honey.

Coffee, I have to put some sugar into. Preferably a turbinado or demerara sugar.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I weaned myself off any sweeteners just be reducing slowly how much I had...I used to be a milky, sweetened coffee drinker, now I can drink it black, or blended with coconut oil. The quality of the coffee definitely helps.
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    The only reason people hate on splenda is because they know nothing about Aspartame. Unless you're eating several grams a day, you're fine indulging. I prefer truvia as I find 1 packet, has no calories, and is sweeter then either splenda or actual sugar. It does cost more, but I like the taste.
  • stt43
    stt43 Posts: 487
    Options
    Artificial sweeteners are worth cancer if they mean I can get a six pack.
    Also, you should never put sugar in your tea, it ruins it.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,951 Member
    Options
    IMO, when you use fat free and sugar free you confuse the brain. The signal for sweet and savory is turned on but the body never gets what is wants... the fat and the glucose. In my experience, i find I eat less overall when I just use full fat cream and regular sugar. The brain gets the signal that fat and sugar are the way, and then the body gets the nutrients it was expecting.

I don't have any scientific papers to back this up... just my opinion.

Since I only have one coffee mixed that way per day it is of no caloric consequence. The rest go my coffee throughout the day is consumed black.
  • NikkiDerrig386
    NikkiDerrig386 Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys for the advice. Personally I am not a sweets person. It is just how I like my coffee and tea. When I was younger I used a sickening amount of sugar in my coffee and tea. Since I am older now I know its bad to use that much. I will try other things. I liked Equal and Splenda but wont use that now and hated sweet n low, trivia, setvia, etc. SO we shall see :drinker:
  • wrk2hrd
    wrk2hrd Posts: 28
    Options
    My daily coffee is black.

Really should not be drinking it any other way. I only wish I had started drinking it black much sooner.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    I try to stay as far away from artificial ingredients/sweeteners/etc as possible. It's worth the calories to me. I have 2 cups of coffee/day. I use non dairy creamer and sugar... at 40cals/cup. How low is your calorie intake you can't spare 80cals/day??