Question about diet...

So in the last couple years I've managed to lose about 35 lbs, but I seem to have hit a plateau. Since early december I haven't lost a single pound, despite closely monitoring my calories (eating between 1200 and 2000 per day, occasionally going over :wink: ) and upping my workouts (5-6 times per week, 45-1hour per day). I've made an effort to mix up the cardio I do, incorporated intervals, and do regular weight training. My question is this - is it possible that although I'm watching my calories, the types of food I'm eating are preventing me from losing more? I'm starting to get extremely frustrated....any suggestions would be awesome, thanks!

Replies

• mdcroft
    mdcroft Posts: 37 Member
    So in the last couple years I've managed to lose about 35 lbs, but I seem to have hit a plateau. Since early december I haven't lost a single pound, despite closely monitoring my calories (eating between 1200 and 2000 per day, occasionally going over :wink: ) and upping my workouts (5-6 times per week, 45-1hour per day). I've made an effort to mix up the cardio I do, incorporated intervals, and do regular weight training. My question is this - is it possible that although I'm watching my calories, the types of food I'm eating are preventing me from losing more? I'm starting to get extremely frustrated....any suggestions would be awesome, thanks!
  • squankish
    squankish Posts: 78 Member
    I have the exact same question...
  • REB89
    REB89 Posts: 493 Member
    It may be that your body is already at its ideal weight. In which case it will fight you for every last pound!
  • edyta
    edyta Posts: 258
    It may be that your body is already at its ideal weight. In which case it will fight you for every last pound!

I'm quite in a similar situation...
    It may be close to your ideal weight - try to think if you don't aim too low.
  • mdcroft
    lol but I don't want this to be my ideal weight!! Well I guess I'll keep going, and hopefully something decides to give (just in time for summer!)
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    You already look quite slim in your picture. It is probably time to specify your training, assuming that you've been lifting regularly for that long. At this point you have to ask:

Resistance Training:
    Do you want any muscular size? More muscular strength? More muscular endurance?
    Do you have any weak spots? Do you train your entire body appropriately?
    Are you symmetrical? Is one arm or are of the body more muscular than another?

Cardiovascular Training:
    Do you want aerobic endurance? Anaerobic endurance? Speed?
    What is your resting heart rate and blood pressure? Would you like to decrease either one?

Bodily Changes:
    Do you want to lose more fat?
    Do you want to see more muscular definition?
    Do you want to feel harder or look fuller (in muscle, not fat)?

Unfortunately, since our bodies adapt so well, we can't go on forever just increasing time on the elliptical or repetitions. At some point, we have to decide EXACTLY what we want our bodies to do, and progress in that direction. That's the only way to keep making progress. Weight is probably the worst indicator of athleticism, health, or body composition, so it shouldn't influence your decision. Decide how you want to look and perform and train appropriately.

Ah, I should add that diet will have an effect on body composition since it influences hormones. I'd have to see what you're eating to give you any specific advice on that.
  • OMISALJ
    OMISALJ Posts: 69
    Watching calories is great, but don't forget about carbs, fat and sodium. Your calories could be at a great point, but once the others go over, it takes a toll on your whole day.
  • andriarose
    andriarose Posts: 23 Member
    I'm not sure about the foods, but do you drink a lot of water daily? I hit a plataeu too and last week I increased my water to about 100 oz. a day and I've lost 2 pounds since.
  • mdcroft
    yes, I'm usually around 3 liters of water per day.

My goal specifically is to lose body fat, I have been working with a trainer for the last year and I know I have some sweet muscles laying just beneath that layer of fat. I'm proud of that and want to show them off to the world! :smile: I have cut out most simple carbs (I stay right about where MFP suggests for carb intake, though I don't know how accurate that number is), eat 30-35 grams fiber per day, plenty of fruit (though not so great on the veggies) and eat plenty of lean protein. Arrgh it really makes a person want to quit trying...