Top 5 TV "Jump the Shark" moments

Options
13»

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    The entire last season of Arrested Development.

It was awesome before, but the last season was just awful.

Except for the Gob episode. But that is because Gob is awesome.
    The Scrubs reboot as well. Jesus.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Gotta add Supernatural.... they probably should have ended the show after season 5 or so... although it is getting better again, and I won't deny I love watching Jensen Ackles do... pretty much anything.... But why do the writers keep killing them and bringing them back? C'mon, there has to be a bit more creativity in the group than THAT.

Also, Doctor Who. Not really the show, but the most recent companion, Clara. Her character kind of jumped the shark when we discovered her purpose, but other than that, she is worthless and has no personality or character development.

Supernatural WAS supposed to end after the fifth season. The creator, Erik Kripke, left after that, because as far as he was concerned, it should be over. Of course, then they wanted more moneys.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    3 words:
    Panda rapes Homer.

That happens? :sick:
  • fstfrd00
    fstfrd00 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Once Upon a Time is getting that way for me.
  • leadslinger17
    leadslinger17 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    lost : when the writers admitted early in season 2 that they had no idea where they were going with the story and were just riding the popularity while they could

Eh, I'll disagree. I believe what the writers actually said was they had an overall storyline planned out, but that they didn't know how long the series was going to last so they were kind of treading water with filler episodes in season 3 and 4. Overall, they did a good job of telling their story, although a lot of people didn't like the ending.

X-files. So disappointing. The first 5 seasons were excellent, they have the movie in-between seasons 5 and 6, and then come back to limited involvement with David Duchovny. There is a show that REALLY had no idea where they were going with their mythology. Seasons 8 and 9 were crap, in season 9 THEY LITERALLY NAMED AN EPISODE "JUMP THE SHARK" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jump_the_Shark_(The_X-Files)). Should have just ended the show in season 6, and if they wanted a "next generation" type show, introduce new Mulder and Scully (I can't even remember their names) and then create a spinoff. They weren't bad characters, I actually liked them, it was just a different show.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    The entire last season of Arrested Development.

It was awesome before, but the last season was just awful.

Except for the Gob episode. But that is because Gob is awesome.
    The Scrubs reboot as well. Jesus.

I call it "After Scrubs" It should have ended with that video sendoff the season before.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    The Cosby Show - when they brought in Olivia after Rudy was no longer the young, cute one.
  • kbeckley11
    kbeckley11 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    anytime any show has a "special musical show" like Grey's Anatomy did..... WTF?

LIES Once More with Feeling! was one of my favorite episodes of Buffy. (Of course it is the ONLY musical episode I've ever liked)

YES! Once More With Feeling is awesome!

Biggest jump the shark moments for me:

Stefan in Family Matters- When they made Steve Urkel cool.
    Season 2 of 24. They went way too big, too fast by bringing in the bomb in the second season. There isn't anything much scarier than that, so they mostly had to resort to shoving as much bad stuff into every season after that as they could.
  • kbeckley11
    kbeckley11 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, and when Rosanne won the lottery.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Gotta add Supernatural.... they probably should have ended the show after season 5 or so... although it is getting better again, and I won't deny I love watching Jensen Ackles do... pretty much anything.... But why do the writers keep killing them and bringing them back? C'mon, there has to be a bit more creativity in the group than THAT.

Also, Doctor Who. Not really the show, but the most recent companion, Clara. Her character kind of jumped the shark when we discovered her purpose, but other than that, she is worthless and has no personality or character development.

Supernatural WAS supposed to end after the fifth season. The creator, Erik Kripke, left after that, because as far as he was concerned, it should be over. Of course, then they wanted more moneys.

And PTL they kept it going!
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Scrubs did one, too. I watched the whole thing on mute.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    Scrubs did one, too. I watched the whole thing on mute.

i think it depends on the type of show. While I don't watch Grey's, it seems like it would be worse to try to pull off a musical show in a drama than a comedy like Scrubs
  • akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    1. Buffy when she died.
    2. ER- when Dr. Green died
    3. The Sopranos - When Tony killed Chris
    4. Supernatural - When Sam jumped in to the pit with Michael
    5. Cosby Show - When Denise came back