has anyone ever tried cauliflower mashed potatoes?

Options
2»

Replies

• kpopa
    kpopa Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I make these at our house too! You can try and add one potato per batch to make the consistency a bit better...

Also, I love adding the Laughing Cow cheese wedges...they come in all different flavors and are super low cal!!

Good luck and have fun experimenting! :happy:
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I make these at our house too! You can try and add one potato per batch to make the consistency a bit better...

Also, I love adding the Laughing Cow cheese wedges...they come in all different flavors and are super low cal!!

Good luck and have fun experimenting! :happy:

Now that is a good idea.
  • mvlaurel
    mvlaurel Posts: 22
    Options
    I really liked them, but my husband and kids didn't so I haven't made them again. I think I'm going to though! It's a great way to get your veggies in :-)
  • TeamLeela
    TeamLeela Posts: 3,302
    Options
    So I took everyone's suggestions into consideration and made a what I consider a very good cauliflower mashed potatoes. Especially for my first batch, I think they were a success.

It seemed everyone preferred fresh cauliflower, so that's what I used.
    I added a drop of milk, a tablespoon of fat free sour cream, about a fourth cup of chives, a dollop of margarine, salt and pepper, a hint of garlic salt. I forgot to add the parm, maybe next time. I'd love to try the bacon bits, I look forward to that in the future too.

I ate it by themselves as a stand alone dish. I think it will make a much better side dish. Maybe with a piece of baked or grilled chicken and green beans or corn. Then it will be more well rounded. But I just had it as a snack. I don't know if the rest of my family would like them, definitely couldn't convince them that they were anything but cauliflower. But I'd have to admit, very yummy cauliflower. Good consistency, had a resemblance of the real thing.

Thanks again for everyone's help in making the perfect cauliflower mashed potatoes.
  • Beth720
    Beth720 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    you'll barely notice the difference. Trust me, I'm a mashed guy through and through, but these are as close as one can get without being the real thing. One note though, the best way I've found to really make them creamy, is to use a electric hand mixer, does a much better job than a regular mixer or a blender.

I agree. I was somewhere once where we had a plated dinner, and it wasn't until after I'd eaten my "mashed potatoes" that I learned it was mashed cauliflower. Had I known before I likely would have been reluctant to try them as I am weird in that I LOVE broccoli but HATE cauliflower. Mashed though I don't mind it!
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    Bump! Sounds like a great replacement. I've been ditching the potatoes in favor of a salad, or other veggies like squash, zucchini. But getting bored.....
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Bump, I need to come back to this thread! Great ideas I would like to try.
  • I ate them quite a bit when I was on Atkin's. I really like vegies though so it wasn't a difficult or bad tasting solution for me. I just ate it with a little butter, salt, and pepper. As you've already read ..... Frozen or fresh is usable, but I preferred fresh.

KIM
  • eva512
    eva512 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Bump, I,ve had them before with just milk and butter, but all these ideas sound so delish
  • vkpmusic
    vkpmusic Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try this! I need more veggies in my diet. I'm a very picky veggie eater. It's may also be a good way to sub some veggies for some carbs. Hubby already likes cauliflower, so I think he would eat them. Thanks!
  • schoen185
    Options
    i love them. for my hubby & kids I mix cauliflower in WITH their mashed potatoes (they didn't like it straight up even though I did). I also mix mashed up cauliflower in the kids mac & cheese (homemade) shhhh!!! don't tell them :) I encourage them to choose fresh fruits and veggies all the time but they get stuck in their list of what they like so for the other stuff I do resort to sneakiness.
  • vkpmusic
    vkpmusic Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Ok, I tried it, and I guess it's a way to eat veggies that I can handle, but mashed potatoes it is not! I can still taste that cauliflower aftertaste. But, hey, at least I can get some more veggies in!
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I like these but have always had them made for me. Just heard someone mention on FB mashed cauliflower with radishes...Might have to try that too..

I think the key with anything like this is not to expect it to taste like something else. If it does then and you like that thing then good but taste it for what it is and decide then. Spelt bread is goofy tasting if you think it is going to taste like white bread. If you just clear your mind of what it should taste like...and you toast it...it is actually quite tasty.

I like the idea of mixing it into foods. The kids like hamburger helper type meals (my own creations...a box doesn't make enough for us anyway...four kids and married to a fireman...hard to ever cook enough) but adding veggies always stretches out our meals and add some nutrition. While I never "hide" veggies that I mix in don't make a big deal about them unless asked. It has been a year since someone asked what the little orange things were in their ground beef. (always brown up a finely chopped carrot with ground beef)