Medications that make you hungry, help!

Options
I recently had a back injury in which my Dr. prescribed me steroids. Because of this I am STARVING all of the time! What are some things I can do/eat to help with this without throwing me off? I cannot really exercise yet because of the injury so I can't "earn" calories that way. Help!

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Protein and Fiber will help you feel fuller for longer. Try to get a good amount of that in.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above re: protein and fiber. Also, keep foods that are bulky but lower calorie around to fill you up. Think carrot sticks and hummus, celery with a little peanut butter, dipping other vegetables in a lower calorie dip/dressing, etc. A giant salad with lots of greens and vegetables will give you lots of volume and lots to chew with few calories.
  • Greytfish
    Greytfish Posts: 810
    Options
    Protein and Fiber will help you feel fuller for longer. Try to get a good amount of that in.

^^^^^ Especially since the steroids are muscle wasting. Also, drink enough water.
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I have been on prednisone for...well, seems like forever now. I gained about 40 pounds on it, is why I am here LOL. I can only second all that has been said, and to just try and keep yourself busy. Mostly drink as much water as you can.
  • train_01
    train_01 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I will try to add more protein and fiber and veggies to my diet. I do tend to drink a lot of water when I'm at work but struggle to when I'm at home. I will try to make a point to do so. Fortunately, I'm only on the meds for a week (I hope).
  • Greytfish
    Greytfish Posts: 810
    Options
    You might consider getting a refillable water bottle for home. I like the Camelbak bottles because they are easy to clean, virtually indestructible, and have the bite/sip which makes water drinking more intuitive for me. If you keep water with you, you are more likley to sip it.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    These are all good suggestions. You might want to consider increasing your fat % and decreasing your carbohydrates. Fats are satiating and reducing carbs might help with the water retention issue. Watching your salts will help that too.