Time to stop being so thin?

Options
2»

Replies

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I am 5''6" tall and I used to weigh 96 lbs so I was very skinny. I went to the doctor and he gave me a prescription for periactin which is an allergy medicine but a side effect is it increases your appetite...a lot! I took it and could eat 3000-4200 calories a day. I started gaining weight very quickly. I would eat and also drink these boost vhc (very high calorie) drinks which contain 530 calories in one drink. You can only order them online at amazon or ebay or through a medical supply company. So, I got up to 119 lbs in about 2-3 months and felt great! But, I was eating the wrong types of food, sugars, fast food etc so the weight I gained was fat. I ended up with cellulite and not toned up. I ended up losing a few pounds recently and plan on starting that medication again but now I will work out more and eat healthier to gain lean muscle. Maybe you should try that medicine or those vhc drinks. Good luck!

It's a very bad idea to advise someone to take a prescription medication they don't need just for a side effect of appetite increase. It is very dangerous for anyone to take a prescription medication that is not prescribed to them. There are other ways to stimulate the appetite.
  • trainingman123
    trainingman123 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Eat high protein, low carb diet, with lots of veggies. Do the strongman 5x5 workout program for as long as you can 3 days a week. You will get core strength, lose fat and be very fit. Trust me.

Strongman 5x5 workouts consist of:

Workout A
    Squat 5x5
    Bench Press 5x5
    Barbell Rows 5x5
    Pushups 3 x Failure

Workout B
    Squat 5x5
    Overhead Press 5x5
    Deadlift 1x5
    Pullups 3 x Failure

-Workout A monday friday, workout B on Wednesday. Then mix it up.
    -Add 5lbs. total weight each workout until you can't get 5 reps on all 5 sets anymore
    -If you happen to stall on an exercise and cannot perform 5 reps then take off 10% of the weight
    -Continue adding 5lbs total weight each workout until you stall again
    -To ensure fat loss, be sure to add 10-20 minutes of some type of HIIT after each session.
  • GretaGirl8
    GretaGirl8 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I think weight lifting is all good and everything, but at your height/weight...you are operating at an extreme calorie deficit. you need to add some more weight so it can be converted into the curvy/sculpted body you desire. At your current bmi, you can do some toning, but to really add muscle--increase the daily calories with calorie dense foods: peanut butter, avocado, full-fat dairy products, protein drinks, ensure or carnation instant breakfast between meals, etc. (not that adding weight alone will add muscle--but it will give you the materials you need to create muscle). good luck.
  • aiyahM
    aiyahM Posts: 4
    Options
    I wasn't advising her to do anything dangerous. Of course with this being a prescription she'd have to get the okay from her physician. This medication is often prescribed for children who have low appetites so it is safe for adults as well.
  • emilyisbonkers
    emilyisbonkers Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    slowly add more calories including fats and proteins and start lifting weights!
  • kathleennf
    kathleennf Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    I don't have much to add to the advice above. Just wanted to say ME TOO! But it was "me too" a few years ago- everyone telling me I was too thin and I was focusing on problem areas. I have been working on this for about 3 years now and am making good progress- putting on muscle and SLOWLY getting rid of fat. Sometimes I set my calorie goal a little above maintenance to try to put on more muscle, other times I set it a little (but VERY little) below to work on losing the last bits of lower body fat. I am really happy with how I look and feel... even though it's a work in progress.
  • kathleennf
    kathleennf Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Oh and yes- weight lifting, avoid too much cardio, and eating lots of protein. I am aiming for protein of 100-120gm/day on my diet of about 1600-1700 calories.
  • aiyahM
    aiyahM Posts: 4
    Options
    I am 5''6" tall and I used to weigh 96 lbs so I was very skinny. I went to the doctor and he gave me a prescription for periactin which is an allergy medicine but a side effect is it increases your appetite...a lot! I took it and could eat 3000-4200 calories a day. I started gaining weight very quickly. I would eat and also drink these boost vhc (very high calorie) drinks which contain 530 calories in one drink. You can only order them online at amazon or ebay or through a medical supply company. So, I got up to 119 lbs in about 2-3 months and felt great! But, I was eating the wrong types of food, sugars, fast food etc so the weight I gained was fat. I ended up with cellulite and not toned up. I ended up losing a few pounds recently and plan on starting that medication again but now I will work out more and eat healthier to gain lean muscle. Maybe you should try that medicine or those vhc drinks. Good luck!

It's a very bad idea to advise someone to take a prescription medication they don't need just for a side effect of appetite increase. It is very dangerous for anyone to take a prescription medication that is not prescribed to them. There are other ways to stimulate the appetite.

I wasn't advising her to do anything dangerous. Of course with this being a prescription she'd have to get the okay from her physician. This medication is often prescribed for children who have low appetites so it is safe for adults as well.
  • emilyisbonkers
    emilyisbonkers Posts: 373 Member
    Options

hahaha very high calorie drinnks!? just try a friji milkshake or sometihng