is it really *that* wrong to let yourself be hungry?

Options
2»

Replies

• UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    The idea that your metabolism could be ruined if you don't eat is a diet myth. The truth is, it is malnutrition that is far more damaging to the body and the metabolism than simply going hungry for awhile.

However, at 20, your question is a bit disconcerting as this concept could evolve into damaging habits. However, so long as you are supplying your body with the appropriate energy and micronutrients that it needs to sustain yourself, then I would say you are fine.

I would recommend doing a little research on intermittent fasting. You might find this method of dietary management appropriate for you. But be prepared, because people who don't understand it will likely condemn it.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    Words from my personal trainer: Envision your stomach like a bucket of water with a small hole on the bottom. You never want to let it overflow nor do you want to let it be completely empty. Your goal is to keep something in it moderately. Small snacks every few hours, even if you are not hungry. If you start having hunger pains, your body will create insulin (sugars) that store fat and eat muscle.

I like your analogy of the bucket of water, but "insulin that eats muscle" - not so sure about that one.
  • bamf82
    bamf82 Posts: 14
    Options
    I get hungry right after I eat, or at least I think I'm hungry! It's confusing. I'm sure it's because the volume of my food has been decreased and now my body, stomach (and mind) is trying to adjust to the changes. I think if you are hungry and it's been 2+ hours since your last meal them eat something, that's going to be my general rule of thumb.
  • ArtsyGarbage
    Options
    I've definitely gotten some really useful feedback. In no way am I allowing myself to stay hungry and in no way am I'm starving myself. Thank you all so much for reading & replying! (by the way, my raisin bread toast is the best right now, lol!)
  • LoggingForLife
    LoggingForLife Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    What you are doing has been referred to as mindful eating or intitutive eating. It involves really paying attention to what your body is telling you and asking for. I didn't feel hunger from Thanksgiving through New Years day. I have allowed my self to get hunger pangs for the past few days and then eat until I'm neutral...not hungry, not full. That is the one problem i have with the calorie counting is that it is an outside influence when we should probably be turning to our bodies to guide us. It takes a lot of mental energy though and a health realtionship with one's body.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    Words from my personal trainer: Envision your stomach like a bucket of water with a small hole on the bottom. You never want to let it overflow nor do you want to let it be completely empty. Your goal is to keep something in it moderately. Small snacks every few hours, even if you are not hungry. If you start having hunger pains, your body will create insulin (sugars) that store fat and eat muscle.

I like your analogy of the bucket of water, but "insulin that eats muscle" - not so sure about that one.

Yeah, people really don't understand insulin at all. Insulin doesn't do anything but regulate the level of sugar in the blood.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    As other said, if you're getting plenty of calories, protein, healthy fats, carbs, etc then you should be fine. Obviously though, as you said, professional advice is best if there's real concern.

IMHO, this is another one of those personal preference things... In my case, waiting until I'm hungry leads to major binging because by the time I actually feel hungry (and shakey) I've gone too long without food and will just keep wanting to eat. This is pretty much how I got fat - ate hardly anything for breakfast in order to "save" calories, ate lunch which revved up my metabolism and then continued to eat almost constantly the rest of the afternoon. Now I pretty much graze all day because that's what works best or me. YMMV
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    When you are thirsty you actually experience hunger before thirst, so always have a drink first, if you're still hungry - then eat. Don't ignore it.

Yeah, this. Plus when I'm actually "hungry" I sort of turn into the Hulk. I swear all I feel is rage. Hangry. Anyway... I usually eat by the clock due to my busy schedule, but if I have hunger pangs in between because I ate less or whatever, I drink water. Then eat a light snack if I'm still feeling hungry. I have to keep the Hulk in check.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    As other said, if you're getting plenty of calories, protein, healthy fats, carbs, etc then you should be fine. Obviously though, as you said, professional advice is best if there's real concern.

IMHO, this is another one of those personal preference things... In my case, waiting until I'm hungry leads to major binging because by the time I actually feel hungry (and shakey) I've gone too long without food and will just keep wanting to eat. This is pretty much how I got fat - ate hardly anything for breakfast in order to "save" calories, ate lunch which revved up my metabolism and then continued to eat almost constantly the rest of the afternoon. Now I pretty much graze all day because that's what works best or me. YMMV

Metabolism is constant. It does not rev up when you eat or slow down when you don't. It revs up when your heart rate is up, and therefore, active. The thought that eating revs metabolism evolved from the thought that the body requires energy to digest food, but that energy expenditure is relatively minimal in comparison to the energy expenditure of a brisk walk. Your metabolism is the rate at which your body uses energy. If it stops, then that means you have died.
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I had (and still sometimes do have) a really big problem with eating out of boredom and I thought it would be a really big help to let my body and mind experience what true hunger is. ** I don't eat anything unless my body is feeling hunger pangs or my stomach has growled. ** I've lost 40+ lbs on my own before joining MFP and this is something I've only recently started doing.
    I'm sort of stumped on the metabolism point though- is it bad for my metabolism? I'd have to think no? Because it's natural to be hungry.... but I'm not a nutritionist or a doctor.

You're doing just fine. You don't seem to be starving yourself, or getting the shakes, or binging because you're so hungry. You're listening to your body.

No, you aren't damaging your metabolism. There's no requirement to eat every two or three hours; it works for some people, but is counterproductive for others.

Good job on the weight loss so far!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    This is why we don't listen to personal trainers for nutritional advice. That is quite possibly the most incorrect thing I've read on this board today.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    As long as you're eating an appropriate amount of calories for your body and meeting your nutritional needs, you're not starving yourself or damaging your metabolism.

I used to be a boredom eater as well, so I think it's a good thing that you're trying to teach yourself the difference between feeling the urge to munch something and actually being hungry and needing fuel. That said, if you are truly hungry, eat something. :smile:
  • Fayeguiebcoe
    Options
    You can always have a low calorie snack like veggie sticks or "light" popcorn. Was taught at WeightWatchers that it is Okay to be hungry sometimes, but starving yourself can be harmful. Congrats on your weight loss!
  • nashvillenellie
    nashvillenellie Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    When I get those hunge pains between meals I like munching on dill pickles or something like celery or maybe a small orange or apple. I hate feeling hungry.
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    OP, you're doing just fine. You're not hurting yourself or your metabolism; to allow yourself to be truly hungry is a good thing! North American society has gotten so used to eating at the first sign of anything (boredom, slight hunger, thirst, a particular time of day) without really discerning whether or not they/we are actually hungry.

The French have a saying; "hunger is the best seasoning"; I mention the French because they have one of the most sophisticated and intense relationships with food, resulting in (arguably) some of the best cuisine in the world. Funny thing about their love affair with food- they do not snack between meals. It's breakfast, lunch and a [late] dinner; only children are allowed an afternoon snack. They allow themselves to become truly hungry and then they thoroughly enjoy their meals.

You got this OP, ignore the chatter. :smile:

^^Agree. OP, you do have this. For some, this method might not work. It might lead to overeating because they are so not used to feeling hungry that it "feels" much worse than it is. Also, if you have some medical issues (diabetes), it could be a factor. But good grief, hunger pains are the natural way for the body to say "hey, time to eat... just in case you forgot or something". Like I'd ever forget. LOL
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Options

Uh, which is why all cave men were thought to be obese? (Not.) I have no problem with the "grazing" method, either, but to say hunger will cause you to store fat and eat muscle... that's just silly.