Pilates Core query

Options
I've done Pilates core work before, so it's not entirely new territory. This video? Pretty basic:
http://www.fitnessblender.com/v/workout-detail/17-Minute-Pilates-Core-Series-Workout/8n/

And YET...in the first series, the moment I start picking up my legs (singly or together), even though I'm pressing my lower back to the floor, I'm getting lots of tension in my neck. When I try to relax, it's as if my head wants to lift. I know this hasn't happened in the past. Granted it's been a few years, but really? WTH??

Any thoughts on what's going wrong?

Replies

• Stripeness
    Stripeness Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    *bump* morning people?
  • themelmac
    themelmac Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Seems like you're trying to lift with your shoulders/neck instead of core.

Try to roll your shoulders back and down and imagine that you're trying to touch your shoulder blades together.
  • aerynholly
    aerynholly Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem with some Pilates exercises while I was still strengthening my core. It can help to focus on keeping your gaze up toward the ceiling, since it will encourage you not to bend your neck as much when you're lifting your shoulders off the ground.
  • Stripeness
    Stripeness Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Thank you both! I will try paying attention to my shoulder blades. It's not while I'm lifting my upper body - that's the weird part. It's while lying flat on my back lifting alternate feet. Which is why it's so peculiar...

Still, good ideas, and I'll try 'em!