Atkins/weight waterchers/fad diets...aren't doing it for me!

I lost 4 lbs this week but cutting pop (I was drinking at least a 2 liter a day) and increasing my water! I made a plan to work in baby steps. Step 1. no pop and more water. When I say "no pop" I didn't mean NONE. I did have 2 20oz this week. Step 2. Track my food. And Step 3. Gym! So this week I consider myself successful in no pop :) Now I am on to step 2. Anyways, I was at the store and they have all the fad diet stuff in the high light isle, you know because it's that time of the year. I walked down that isle looked at my husband and said, "I feel so sorry for people starving themselves and eating only what's in this box *points to box full of an "entire day's meal"* I ate whatever I wanted last week and STILL lost weight! I'm so happy to be doing it the right way!!! So in a way, I consider a success of 4lbs, hey it's weight! And a success of realizing you don't need a fad diet, and chances are, the fad diet wouldn't work anyways! :D

I spelled Weight Watchers wrong in the title...how terrible. :/

Replies

• mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    I feel rather smug too.... :happy: I read somewhere (think it was BBC) that only 20% of WW and Slimming World dieters reach and maintain their goal weight over a 5 year period, which means that 80% of people fail on WW and Slimming World, despite the fact that they are probably the widest known and followed diets in the UK. The NHS itself says that although they teach people a bit about how to eat a balanced diet, they do not teach about portion sizes and calories so people may not lose weight, and aren't equipped to maintain even if they do.
  • Fitnin6280
    Fitnin6280 Posts: 618 Member
    Great Job! Four pounds is a fantastic first week! Keep up the good work! Those weeks add up very quickly!
  • WallyH4EverVersion
    WallyH4EverVersion Posts: 172 Member
    Good Job... 4 pounds it is an excellent loss!! Keep it going!!
  • Congratulations on your lose!! Those steps are great to start and build on. Regarding fad diets, I don’t consider Weight Watchers to be a fad diet. I personally followed the program and lost 35 pounds. Because of WW I learned a lot about portion control, substituting for healthier options, and learned how to read labels which I never did before joining. You can eat anything on the program within moderation and still lose. Any program works if you stick to it. The problem with WW is that there is a monthly fee and MFP is free and you get the same support which is why I love this site.
  • ashleymmannisto
    ashleymmannisto Posts: 62 Member
    I agree with the weight watchers a bit....but I couldn't think of a single name so up it went :P And, I'm not super familiar with it, so IDK how it really worked. :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    I feel rather smug too.... :happy: I read somewhere (think it was BBC) that only 20% of WW and Slimming World dieters reach and maintain their goal weight over a 5 year period, which means that 80% of people fail on WW and Slimming World, despite the fact that they are probably the widest known and followed diets in the UK. The NHS itself says that although they teach people a bit about how to eat a balanced diet, they do not teach about portion sizes and calories so people may not lose weight, and aren't equipped to maintain even if they do.
    I believe that statistic (and actually, it may be higher) holds true for dieting in general. Granted, those stats are pretty faulty. But I think we all know many folks who've lost and regained, and we probably know a handful who lost and kept it off.

The key is to find something that you can do for life, which is what the folks who kept it off probably did.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!