Need some dieting advice!

Options
Hey yall!

So the past two weeks I've been trying to make healthier choices in my diet. Eating more breakfast, juicing in the mornings when I can't eat to at least get nutrients, trying to eat overall healthier foods. However, I am having the HARDEST time giving up starches. I just love them :( A few people have told me you are not supposed to eat any potatoes/pasta/breads during dinner, especially after a workout, but it is really hard for me. I grew up in an Italian family lol I live off of it!

Do I really need to give it up completely? If I moderate my intake and portion size, (for ex, 2 times a week, and only one serving size during dinner), will I be able to stick to my weight loss goals? I am willing to make changes..but I'd like to maintain some of the things I love.

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    You don't need to give up anything unless there's a medical reason deeming it so. All you need for weight loss is to maintain a calorie deficit, which if you follow MFP's calorie goal, is already built in for you. You can literally eat ANYTHING you want, just fit it into your calorie goal.
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    As above.

Don't give up anything you're not prepared to give up for the rest of your life. This is a lifestyle change, not a short term diet.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    No, you don't have to give up anything. If you want to lose weight, all you have to do is eat at a calorie deficit. How you choose to set your macros (protein, fat, and carbs) is up to you, although a balanced diet is optimal from a nutritional standpoint, and you'll probably feel more satisfied and less hungry if you eat plenty of protein.

I haven't eliminated anything from my diet. I also don't eat a traditional "breakfast" and tend to wait a few hours after waking up before I eat anything. And I pretty much always eat some form of carbs at dinner (which can be as late as 8pm) because that's just how I roll. If you choose to eat in a way that's sustainable for you, you're much more likely to stick with it.

If you eat at a moderate deficit and log what you eat/drink accurately and consistently, you can eat whatever you want, whenever you want and still meet your goals. :smile:
  • Kabijots
    Kabijots Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    You don't need to give up anything unless there's a medical reason deeming it so. All you need for weight loss is to maintain a calorie deficit, which if you follow MFP's calorie goal, is already built in for you. You can literally eat ANYTHING you want, just fit it into your calorie goal.

^^^This. Enjoy food. Enjoy life. Nothing is off limits if you weigh it/log it. *salute!*
  • wittman01
    wittman01 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Well, I Love starches as well!! But for dinner I had a sweet potato with yogurt(protein),vegies-YUM!! Yesterday I had half a baked potato with yogurt no butter-OMG delicious. I have learned to love whole wheat rice and whole wheat pasta..with the right flavoring is scrumcious! I have a open diary if you want to add me-sometimes Im pretty creative in the starch department ;)
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    It's about moderation NOT deprivation. I've lost 45 lbs eating what I want when I want.

Read this...
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet?hl=short+sweet+<span class=

And most definitely read this!!!
    http://www.vicmagary.com/blog/fitness-motivation/#comment-10883
  • frodopuppy
    Options
    eat what you want just eat less you won't feel deprived and you can still lose. don't give up the foods you love
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Hey yall!

So the past two weeks I've been trying to make healthier choices in my diet. Eating more breakfast, juicing in the mornings when I can't eat to at least get nutrients, trying to eat overall healthier foods. However, I am having the HARDEST time giving up starches. I just love them :( A few people have told me you are not supposed to eat any potatoes/pasta/breads during dinner, especially after a workout, but it is really hard for me. I grew up in an Italian family lol I live off of it!

Do I really need to give it up completely? If I moderate my intake and portion size, (for ex, 2 times a week, and only one serving size during dinner), will I be able to stick to my weight loss goals? I am willing to make changes..but I'd like to maintain some of the things I love.

What's wrong with carbs after a workout?!? That's just silly....I eat most of my carbs post training, as part of my dinner and have no issues....
  • GlitterrMagpie
    GlitterrMagpie Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Potatoes, pasta and bread, 3 of my favourite foods :)

Portion control was key for me, I was eating way too much of everything, I still eat all the yummy stuff, just less of it. If I'd tried to give up all the food I love I never would've stuck with it.
  • darthlacey
    darthlacey Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thank you all!! Seeing so many of you who are just eating what you want in moderation and still achieving results makes me feel so much better. I've been sticking to the calorie deficit and trying as hard as I can to stick to the macros lol, I go over those a little more frequently but never enough to where I think I'm defeating my purpose (typically only ever by like 5 or 10 points/grams/whatever). It makes me happy to know I can stick to eating what I love and just make healthier versions and smaller portions of it!
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    <
    lost over 50lbs eating whatever I wanted, including fast food, packaged 'processed' foods and all the yummy starchy food :drinker:

Weight loss is about calories. Period :smile: