Does anyone just really enjoy running?

Options
2»

Replies

• morty1966
    morty1966 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I loved it from day one, when I was red faced and puffing from running for 30 seconds. I hate, absolutely loath classes like Zumba. I don't know why anyone would want to do a class like that, and I have tried many a time. All that fussing about and learning steps etc, nope not for me.

I think if you love running, you love it, if you don't you don't.
  • Be11adonna
    Be11adonna Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I hated running in my school years and up until recently. It all changed one day when a friend mentioned the c25k training plan and urged me to give it a go because she went from a couch potato to running 5k. I decided to give it a try and I never looked back since! I have ran few 5k races and I signed up for 10k and a HM. I enjoy running so much. Go for it, six months is enough time. Find a decent training plan and shoes and do not try to do too much too soon to avoid injury. Good luck.

Edited to say : feel free to send me a friend request.
  • Dawn810511
    Dawn810511 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Running is my most favorite exercise out of any other ones out there! I love being outdoors, I do not like running on a treadmill. I'm lucky enough to have a 1/4 mile track about 1 mile from my house. I've also thought about going to my nearest small town and walking around the downtown area for about 45 mins to an hour, give myself more scenery.
  • redcon1228
    Options
    I used to love running from grade school days on up, ran Cross Country and track in HS and continued running in college, as a soldier, then a former soldier. 10 miles was my sweet spot, although I ran some marathons and two ultras.

Unfortunately the impact over the years, plus injuries from active duty have ended my running days. Both knees and one ankle will not stand up to running more than a few miles, and even that is not pain free. But luckily I can cycle almost without any pain, and now have many miles on the bike.

But if I could go back to running I would in a heartbeat. It was much more than a great workout; it was a calming place for me mentally when I was out on a 10-miler. LSS-- Don't take running for granted... learn to embrace it!
  • just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    Options
    I do! I do!!

I didn't really realize how much I enjoyed it until there was a span of 3 months where I couldn't run. I'd see joggers out during the summer and feel envious that they were doing what I couldn't at the time (my podiatrist looked at me like I had 6 heads when he asked if I was training for anything particular and I said 'No. I just love running!' :laugh: )

I run four times a week for 30 minutes which depending on what I am doing is 3.1 - 3.5 miles. Starting in March I will be training for a duathlon so my running will be upped a bit.
  • bobbijodmb
    bobbijodmb Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I think it's possible. 8 weeks ago I hated run, most of my life, if not all of my life I have hated running it. Until the last couple of weeks. I ran 6 miles last weekend and plan to run a half marathon in April =)

Anything is possible =)
  • Levesque_7
    Options
    yes me! you can see by name alone LOL
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Nope! I hate it! I am just addicted to it. I hate it so much that I decided to enter a 10K this March and half marathon in April. Both are my firsts. I also made so many running friends on here and I do run a lot. I even started my own monthly running challange on here. Yup! :-)
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm doing C210k. :)

I enjoy running because all around it's "easy" (of course it's physically challenging especially at first, but let me explain):

1) All you really need is a good pair of shoes. You don't even need a treadmill. I personally prefer to run outside.
    2) It's self explanatory. Not complicated to do. There are some things out there discussing proper running form but even that isn't a headache to accomplish or stress out about.
    3) You don't have to pay a gym membership to do it.
    4) The C210k app on my phone is super straight-forward and makes me look forward to my running days. And it's free, unless you want the pro version but you don't need it. They have other ones. 5k, 10k, half-marathon, marathon...

Enjoy it! I was never previously a runner, or really physical/athletic in any sense during high school. This was something I had to find and appreciate on my own. It's my time for sure!

This...dont get me wrong though there are days id rather not crawl out of bed to hit it.
  • patrickfish7
    patrickfish7 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Used to hate it, now love it. Getting out early in the morning, sights and sounds or nature etc adds to it. You can go anywhere when running but you cant lug a treadmill up a canyon or down a valley :smile:
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I hated running when i couldn't do it. Now that i can, I love it. I think it's fun.

About the other part of your post, sure you would be able to build up to 10 miles in that amount of time if you worked at it. I went from being able to only run 15 minutes to finishing my first half marathon in 5 months. And I wasn't fast, my goal was just to finish, but I finished in 2:22 feeling great, which I thought was a success for my first one. That was Oct. 2012 and right now I'm training for my 5th in February.
  • ItsMeGee3
    ItsMeGee3 Posts: 13,254 Member
    Options
    I love running! Running is my "ME" time, my think time, MY time! I can solve the world's problems after a good long run. Not to mention that I can probably move the world too! Running keeps me sane.
  • frank6666
    frank6666 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Definitely possible to train for a 10K in 6 months. I used to hate running but a couple of months ago with some friends we decided to challenge ourselves and enrolled for an half marathon next April. At this point I can run 10K at an acceptable speed (acceptable for me but still slow)

Now I am working on getting the distance and improving the speed

There are tons of good race training web sites out there. Some of them will offer training plans (free) adapted to your current fitness condition and the amount of time per week you can go out and run

From personnal experience I would say the good way to start is to start slooooooowwww. Short distances, very very slow pace. Otherwise you get discouraged because you can't run the distance or keep a faster pace. Distance and speed all come later during the training.

The intervals trainings included in the training plans are really effective (from my point of view). At first I did not see the point to run fast short runs (fast intervals) if in the end I wanted to run a 21K. It helps improve the machine!

Good luck with your run
  • mamma_nee
    mamma_nee Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Hate it with a passion LOL I can walk forever though!
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I LOVE it. Can't wait until the weather gets a little nicer out. I don't run when it is icy. I signed up for a 10K in April. LOVE IT!
  • amiehope71
    Options
    No I hate it. I started slow with walking and I would stick in walking up to 4.0 and up hill set at 10 for 1 min. Then back down for a few and repeat it as long as I could. One day I realized I was running (slow) but running almost the whole time and I got up to running a mile in 8 min. That was so cool. Good luck.
  • librarygirlontherun
    Options
    I do! I have been running for 35 years. I am 51 years old and have done SEVERAL 1/2 marthons and am training for my first full marathon OKLAHOMA CITY MEMORIAL MARATHON at the end of April.
  • asilmegan34
    asilmegan34 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    If I can give you some advice... Yes it is possible to do 10 miles in 6 months. I encourage you to do the couch to 5k program to start up. My advice is to not do too much too quickly. That is what I did (training for a half in 6 months) and now my knee is swollen and messed up from overtraining.