Bacon and other local meats

Options
We like to buy our meat in bulk and stock the freezer, so instead of buying at the grocery store, we buy local meat from a local butcher. Since it's not packaged with extra salt, preservatives, etc., I don't have any idea what the actual counts are. I've been using whatever comes up when I type something in, but am just wondering if others who buy this way know do something different?

I hope this is the right area to ask this question. TIA :)

Replies

• MadDogManor
    MadDogManor Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    We participate in a monthly meat CSA from a local farm, where they both raise and process the animals. - we get a box of whatever each month. When I log, I look for organic meat, and many times have used entries from Whole Foods or Trader Joes, just cuz it's easier. I figure all entries are estimations anyway, and as long as I've weighed it I'm as close as I can get. Good luck
  • wpwarrior88
    wpwarrior88 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I would agree with MadDog - you can check with your supplier to see if the have nutritional info, otherwise I would go with the organic version of your cut of meat.
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I also buy all of our meats and chicken from the local butcher and just log it as the organic option available.
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I buy meat in bulk from local farmers who raise and butcher their animals (free range, grass fed, no grain feed, etc. ) I do the same as the other posters. I just take the generic organic meat nutritional data and plug that in. I often do double check by comparing multiple entries in the MFP database in comparison to other databases. Once in a while a find a bad entry, but for the most part they are ok. I also weigh my portions.
  • jennicole4
    jennicole4 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! We don't have wholefoods and I'd never heard of trader joe's, so I didn't know they were organic meats. I will definitely start using the organic selections for my counts! Thanks again!

:smile: