How many of you eat back your exercise calories?

Options
My weight loss has been very slow although I know I'm building muscle. I'm curious to see how many people eat back their exercise calories. MFP tells me to eat 1200 with no activity and I mostly stay on track :) I know some people say to eat back your exercise calories or your body will starve and store fat but I'm not sure if that' working for me. I wanted to lose 20 lbs by May. I started 2 months ago and have only lost a few :(

Replies

• Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Since I started eating back my calories (70% of net calories according to HRM), I've actually been losing faster than expected and have been slowing uping my base calories week to week. Of course to eat back exercise calories you need a fairly accurate estimate, many of theestimates on the site are a good bit off, so if you don't have a HRM or other activity tracker, you may need to experiment with percentages to find what works for you.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    My weight loss has been very slow although I know I'm building muscle. I'm curious to see how many people eat back their exercise calories. MFP tells me to eat 1200 with no activity and I mostly stay on track :)I know some people say to eat back your exercise calories or your body will starve and store fat but I'm not sure if that' working for me. I wanted to lose 20 lbs by May. I started 2 months ago and have only lost a few :(

Starvation mode does not apply the way 'some people' refer to it here.

Without seeing your stats... I'd hazard a guess that you don't want to be netting anything less than 1200 calories per day. Unless you're not logging accurately, I'd try to eat pretty much all your exercise calories back.

To answer your original question. I try to eat my exercise calories back. I have gotten to the point where if I don't exercise enough in a day, I feel like I can't eat as much as I'd like. In other words, I rely on those exercise calories.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    To answer your question, yes, I eat most, if not all of my exercise calories back. Eating those calories is not going to hinder your weight loss, since your deficit is already built into the goal MFP has given you. Do your body some favors and eat the calories. Indulge in some chocolate. Eat the foods you love. You don't have to be restrictive or miserable, or you may never make it to your goal.

Good luck.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i dont but that's because im doing the TDEE method so my workouts are already factored in. It doesn't make a difference because if I did it the MFP way, I'd still be eating around the same amount of calories.

my goal is to net 1000 calories below my daily needs in order to lose 2 pounds a week
  • ScottH_200
    ScottH_200 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Sometimes yes, sometimes no. If I'm hungry, I will. If not, I don't.
  • MildredBarhopper
    MildredBarhopper Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I do, although through the week I usually eat under to make up for going over on Sunday or to save up some calories for the next weekend. At the end of the week though, I have eaten it all back. I'm guessing that I overestimate some things and underestimate others because I don't have a HRM, and I don't weigh my food. When I work out, though, I don't include the warmup or cooldown into my exercise time, so I guess that helps.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Yes I eat mine back, I fuel my body for the workouts I demand of it...... Best of Luck
  • weightedfootsteps
    weightedfootsteps Posts: 4,349 Member
    Options
    I usually eat mine back. It really helps me cause I'm hungrier on days I've worked out usually. But sometimes I feel like I can't get enough cals in on days I work out to cover the exercise..so I space em out and eat over a little through the week or let myself have a splurge day later in the week.

I would definitely suggest eating back most of your cals if you only eat 1200 cals a day.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    I don't technically "eat back" my exercise calories, because they're already factored into my daily calorie goal (1800 a day). But for purposes of the meaning of this post, yes, I eat them back.

It's really important to do so, especially if you're on 1200 calories a day. I hate the term "starvation mode" but it IS true that your metabolism can slow down if you're consistently not feeding your body enough. I would definitely eat back your exercise calories and maybe even increase your calorie goal. In fact a big part of why you havnen't lost much yet might be that you need to be eating more for your body.

See this thread for an awesome guide on how much to eat and such: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • MickeyCastello
    Options
    I eat mine back. I find I can still maintain if I do.
  • jamicroslow
    jamicroslow Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I usually don't eat back all of my calories because I listen to my body. If I am hungry and I have exercise calories left, I will eat a healthy snack. If I'm not and feel satisfied, then I won't.
  • peaceenharmonyy
    Options
    i didn't know i was suppose to eat them back.
    so i had 193 for breakfast
    174 for lunch
    a horrible snack that was 160
    then i exercised..... leaving me with 889 calories.... there's no way i'm gonna eat that much for dinner
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    My weight loss has been very slow although I know I'm building muscle. I'm curious to see how many people eat back their exercise calories. MFP tells me to eat 1200 with no activity and I mostly stay on track :) I know some people say to eat back your exercise calories or your body will starve and store fat but I'm not sure if that' working for me. I wanted to lose 20 lbs by May. I started 2 months ago and have only lost a few :(
    Honestly, I doubt you're building any muscle on 1200 cals a day (unless you are a very tiny person!), especially if you're not eating back exercise cals.

MFP is designed that you are SUPPOSED to eat back your exercise cals. The daily goal you're given already has a deficit built in - meaning eat TO GOAL every day, do zero exercise and you'll lose weight. Burn off more cals through exercise and now you're creating a HUGE deficit, which is no bueno. Especially if your goal is to actually build, or even retain your muscle and lean body mass while dropping fat.

Food is fuel - don't sell yourself short by underfueling & thinking that eating soooo much less is going to result in quicker weight loss. It may cause some loss, but you risk losing muscle along with fat, running out of energy, stalling weight loss, and eventual burn out and exhaustion.

There's a reason MFP adds those cals back into your daily goal. 1200 is the very minimum recommended for women (and it really too low for most of us!), so your daily NET cals should be 1200, especially if you are exercising.

Good luck!
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    yes. That is the point. Net calories matter
  • LaurenAOK
    Options
    Now onto the question of "Eating your exercise calories"

As I have hinted to throughout this summary of metabolic process, the body has a "range" in which it feels it is receiving the right amount of fuel. The range (as most doctors and research scientists agree) is somewhere between 500 calories above your maintenance calories and 1000 calories below your maintenance calories. This means that the metabolism won't drastically change it's functionality in this range, with that said, this is not exact, it is a range based on averages, you may have a larger or smaller range based on the 3 factors of metabolism stated at the top.
    On our website (MyFitnessPal), when you enter your goals, there is a prebuilt deficit designed to keep you in the "normal" metabolic functionality while still burning more calories then you take in. This goal DOES NOT INCLUDE exercise until you enter it. If you enter exercise into your daily plan, the site automatically adjusts your total caloric needs to stay within that normal range (in other words, just put your exercise in, don't worry about doing any additional calculations). Not eating exercise calories can bring you outside that range and (if done over an extended period of days or weeks) will gradually send your body into survival mode, making it harder (but not impossible) to continue to lose weight. The important thing to understand is (and this is REALLY important) the closer you are to your overall healthy weight (again, your metabolism views this a a range, not a specific number) the more prominent the survival mode becomes (remember, we talked about efficiency). This is because as fat becomes scarce, muscle is easier to break down and transport. And thus, the reason why it's harder to lose that "Last 10 pounds".

Your whole post was great, and I think this part is really important to read and understand. Have you posted this as a main topic somewhere? I'd love to have it to be able to link people to for reference.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    174 for lunch
    then i exercised..... leaving me with 889 calories.... there's no way i'm gonna eat that much for dinner

aint no way. Youd be fainting.
  • Linda09189
    Options
    never eat them
  • LaurenAOK
    Options
    174 for lunch

First of all, 889 calories for dinner is not much at all... especially if you allow yourself a dessert :)

I also have a question, and I do not mean this to be rude AT ALL, and I am not trying to single you out. I wonder this a lot because it seems to be a common problem on MFP and I don't really understand it. My question is, how did you not know you were supposed to eat them back? When you log your workouts here on MFP, it automatically adds the calories back into your goal. In my opinion, that makes it pretty obvious that part of the "program" here on MFP includes eating your exercise calories. So I'm a little confused why so many people never seem to even realize they are supposed to do that. Again, I apologize if this sounds rude, I'm just genuinely curious!
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    174 for lunch

Check this

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

and consider this

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1161976-adopt-a-noob-official-mfp-thread