Did i raise my calories too fast?

Options
I upped my calories recently after I continued to lose weight past my goal using MFPs maintenance calories.

Based on my current assumed maintenance calorie goal (1750 4'11" 110lbs) I have been under about 2500-3000 calories per week for the last 3 months or so (hence the continued weight loss). Since I upped my calories, however, I'm under 500-1000 a week. I don't own a scale but I feel so bloated and my clothes are tighter, etc. it's making me nervous! I've been eating at this higher rate for maybe 10 days but I've only noticed the bloat the last few. Is this normal for increasing calories? Did I go too quickly? And if so should I reduce calories slightly or wait it out an assume things will return to normal?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Replies

• ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Check your sodium and water intake. Sodium causes water retention and lack of water can maintain that bloat.
  • Chicharone
    Options
    My sodium is almost always under my limit but I do need to up my water intake. Thanks!
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    sometimes it just takes time for your body to re adjust to the extra cals... give it time. drink h20 and re evaluate in another week or 2
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Based on my current assumed maintenance calorie goal (1750 4'11" 110lbs) I have been under about 2500-3000 calories per week for the last 3 months or so (hence the continued weight loss). Since I upped my calories, however, I'm under 500-1000 a week.
    These numbers make no sense. If you set your goal to maintenance and MFP says to eat 1,750 calories per day, then eat 1,750 calories per day (or 12,250 calories per week).

Do that for a few weeks, eating back your exercise calories at the same rate you did while losing. It takes trial & error to find the number of calories at which your weight stabilizes. If you're still losing, eat back all your exercise calories (if you weren't before) or raise your calorie goal to 1,850 calories per day (12,950 calories per week). If you're still losing after two weeks, raise your calorie goal by 100 calories per day, and reevaluate after another week or two.