Low potassium in regular diet according to app

Options
I've been taking a closer look at the nutrition breakdown and the main trend I have noticed is low intake of potassium. I average about 1200mg but some days are as low as 750. My goal says 3500mg. Is this detrimental at all? Am I missing something in my foods for the day?

Replies

• teachmom32
    teachmom32 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I was just reading about this. If you track your potassium as one of the 5 things you can track with your food, notice how many of the foods say zero for potassium. Then actually look up the amounts of potassium in these items. I just did this and realized that my potassium for today was actually 3800 instead of the 1600 it said. Potassium amounts are just not listed on many foods, so they are not on MFP's site.
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Agreed that the foods in the database are often not accurate with the micronutrients, as in more accuracy with macros and less accuracy with micros.

If you indeed have problems with potassium, consider adding potassium rich foods to your meals....like avocados perhaps?
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Yes, many database entries are missing potassium values. If you use the MFP staff added entries - those without an asterisk - that have been taken from the USDA, they have potassium values. Generally if you eat a lot of fruit, vegetables, meat, dairy, fish etc, you should be getting plenty of potassium.
  • OatFloats
    OatFloats Posts: 119
    Options
    I am also trying to track potassium in the "app". So far, I have figured out that searching with "usda" before "the ingredient" provides results with potassium entries. In other foods, I have had to manually enter the data in My Foods section. I've never been over 2200 mg / day so far but the score improves as I build up my food section.
  • mjudd1990
    mjudd1990 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Developing a full blown potassium deficiency is exceedingly rare for a person in an industrialized country with normally functioning kidneys. Unless you are taking diuretics or have a genetic disorder like bartters/gitelmanns syndrome your kidneys do an excellent job of regulating your potassium levels. If you were the have a deficiency due to your diet alone you would likely have many other symptoms of malnutrition.
  • ashton44
    ashton44 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the replies. I'm not 'worried' about my potassium intake but just noticed the pattern. I think for a few days I will look up the potassium content to see where I am really at per day. I'm sure it's all good. Thanks again.
  • Raasy
    Raasy Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    I had wondered about this as well, but have known that just because a food does not list potassium on the nutrition label does not mean there is none in it. Its just not one of the "must" things to have indicated.. Some companies are starting to add this on the label, however not very many that I have found.
    Just know that if you eat a lot of fruits and veggies have it. I did not know about the "usda" in front of your look ups would work though, that is very helpful to know :smile:
  • brandnewsnickerpuss
    brandnewsnickerpuss Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Agreed that the foods in the database are often not accurate with the micronutrients, as in more accuracy with macros and less accuracy with micros.

If you indeed have problems with potassium, consider adding potassium rich foods to your meals....like avocados perhaps?

Or do like me and eat 25 bananas! *sigh*
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options

Or do like me and eat 25 bananas! *sigh*
    There are better sources than bananas.
  • Npettersen
    Options
    I have a potassium deficiency that requires a prescription. It's really rare and the doctor feels that it is caused genetically in my case. Although it is very unlikely you will get a potassium deficiency, it can't hurt to increase your dietary intake. Avocado, orange juice, raisins, nuts and banana are all great tasting sources. Low potassium is directly linked to an increase in heart attacks. In my case I was experiencing extreme fatigue, loss of muscle tone & some really alarming heart palpitations. TRUST me, you will know if your potassium gets too low.

Good luck!!! It never hurts to incorporate more healthy foods!!!