Any other Atkins dieter's out there?

xDeannaGarciax
xDeannaGarciax Posts: 675
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
I am in my phase one and have been doing pretty ok. I just set my profile up today on the Atkins website but have been following the diet since Friday. I really really like it and I love mfp too so I wondered if there are any Atkins groups on MFP I could join or if we should just start a new one, or maybe if this even sparks anyone's intrest into joining Atkins as well with me for support. i'm really excited about it and have some GREAT recipes already.:flowerforyou:

Replies

• saverys_gal
    saverys_gal Posts: 808 Member
    Woops...replied to wrong post! Sorry!
  • modify24
    modify24 Posts: 12
    I did Atkins for about 3 months and lost 36 pounds. It is a hard one to stick with. I personally have done it 4 times now and if you are not careful the weight comes right back. You will lose alot from this diet just stick with it and try not to take in over 15g of carbs a day :)
  • Yeah I've learned alot about it over the last few days. It sounds difficult but that's ok. I like a challenge, lol!
  • CeleryStalker
    CeleryStalker Posts: 665 Member
    I did Atkins....then I got gallstones, and the dr said it was thanks to Atkins. I just returned to work today after 6 weeks of excruciating pain due to the laproscopic removal of my gallbladder and 'completely normal complications' that went along with it (and two additional surgeries to fix said 'complications). I wouldn't wish that kind of pain on anyone.

Basically any doctor will tell you that extremely limiting the intake of one macronutrient is not a good idea. It's perfectly doable to lose weight by consuming an appropriate balance of carbs, healthy fats, and proteins. You just won't see the lightening quick weight loss that you'd enjoy on a low carb diet. I don't know.

It's easy to say in retrospect, but I wish I had I listened to my doctor and all the other anti-low carb people out there. I just figured it wouldn't happen to me. Fact of the matter is, though, low carb diets and fast weight loss are two of the main contributors to gallbladder disease. Easy to scoff and say 'big whoop' when you have a healthy gallbladder. Sucks to have to say 'I should have known better' when you are laying on the operating table, close to a healthy weight, racking up a hundred grand in hospital bills.

Truth be told, it's still very tempting to go back to low carb dieting, but I've promised myself not to. Dang if I wouldn't like to see a 10# drop this week as I return to my weight loss journey though, LOL!
This discussion has been closed.