How does nutritional info (fat, sugar, etc) play into diet?

Options
If losing weight comes down to creating a calorie deficit, then how do things like fat and sugar content affect it?
If my BMR is 1400, then what's the difference if I just ate cookies and ice cream that added up to 1400 calories as opposed to eating healthy?

Replies

• Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    If losing weight comes down to creating a calorie deficit, then how do things like fat and sugar content affect it?
    If my BMR is 1400, then what's the difference if I just ate cookies and ice cream that added up to 1400 calories as opposed to eating healthy?

"Healthy" can mean a lot of things. But the short answer is if the goal is weight loss, then calories in and calories out are what matters. There are a whole bunch of other considerations during weight loss (personal health issues; body composition issues; exercise goals; personal views on certain foods, etc.) that may play a role in your own personal plan.

Don't just eat your BMR. Figure out your BMR, your maintenance level, and how much you should consume to achieve the weight loss goals you set for yourself in line with your other personal goals. Once that's done - focus on eating your calories.

I personally am focused on consuming a lot of protein -- hoping to minimize the loss of lean body mass / muscle while losing weight, and also wanting to eat enough to fuel my exercise and my daily life -- so I watch my calories, and I watch my exercise, and I watch my protein, and I watch my fat to a certain extent (trying to keep the fat high enough). I also have some concerns over sodium + potassium, so I keep an eye out without really focusing on it.

Your approach may be different. And depending on what your goals are, you may find that you can eat an awful lot of cookies and ice cream and still meet and exceed those goals!

ETA: fat-fingered a few words.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Is your goal just to make the scale go down?
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options

^This.

Sure, you could eat nothing but twinkies at a deficit and lose weight but you'd probably feel like poo. I'm all for cookies, ice cream, and pizza but your macronutrients are important to help make your diet sustainable and help you feel good.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants 

Read this if you like the idea of not having to give anything up. It's about finding balance
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

^This.

Sure, you could eat nothing but twinkies at a deficit and lose weight but you'd probably feel like poo. I'm all for cookies, ice cream, and pizza but your macronutrients are important to help make your diet sustainable and help you feel good.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants 

Read this if you like the idea of not having to give anything up. It's about finding balance
    +1 for the sexypants thread!
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Dietary fat is important for hormone production, nutrient absorption, brain and organ function, and hair and skin health. Protein is broken down and the resulting amino acids are used for muscle synthesis, so adequate protein intake is important to prevent muscle loss while eating at a deficit, or build muscle while eating at a surplus.