Forcing yourself to eat.... Say wha?

Options
Yep. You heard right. You'd think I'd be asking about how to CUT what I eat and yet I'm asking about forcing to eat.

Lately I haven't had the appetite to eat more than usual. I've gotten really used to eating 1200- 1300 calories per day without exercise. It's how I've lost all my weight so far. But now I've actually incorporated exercise. I do one hour of cardio OR 45 minutes of strength training per day. I don't actually know how much I burn doing either but based on my research at 141 pounds I'm probably burning 300 calories. Well that has put me at a 900-1000 calorie net which is not good. My net should be at 1200-1300 calories. However, I'm finding it hard to eat those calories back. Not because I'm worried but because I have no appetite. For the past week I've been binge eating at night because by the time it's evening, I've net too low and at a last ditch effort, I try to get to my net requirements.

Has anyone dealt with this? How have you overcome that?

Extras: I eat the same meals at the same time daily because I'm one of those people who like consistency. I'm afraid that the late night binging will instead promote bad habits which will be counterintuitive to my goals.

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Handful of raw almonds for a snack.
    Dip sliced apples in peanut butter.
    Add avocado to eggs, salads, sandwiches, just about anything.
    Use olive and coconut oils.
    Top your oatmeal with a handful of walnuts. And half a banana. Then drizzle it with a tablespoon of honey.

All give you a good dose of calories in small portions - you get closer to calorie goal without having to eat large portions of food. :smile:
  • kaitlyn_lewis
    Options
    i have also had this problem! I am always under my 1,200 calories by like 300 and i dont know what to do !!
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    Ice cream is the answer. :bigsmile:
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Can you add something calorie dense to you meals to increase the cals with little volume? An extra drizzle of olive oil on a salad, have fruit spread with nut butter, choose higher fat meats and fish?
  • Brad592
    Brad592 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    If you are trying to lose weight, then don't eat!
  • chelseascounter
    chelseascounter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Macadamia nuts. Those are extremely high in calories. I like the salted ones.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Wrong. Your body needs fuel and nutrients to survive and perform at optimal efficiency.

It can be hard to force yourself to eat. After just one week I found it hard to hit my calorie goals because I grew accustomed to not eating as much food very quickly. Try eating something high calorie along with your other meals, like a spoon of peanut butter with lunch. You might not notice it as much if it's part of a meal.
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options

:noway: yep, starvation's totally the answer
    OP, don't listen to this advice. I'd recommend either a small bowl of ice cream, or some peanut butter toast. Some yogurt with strawberries. Something small, simple, yet filling. Nuts are always good, too.
  • Snow__White
    Snow__White Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Is that how it's done?
    Dammit I wasted all this time actually eating calories to lose 45 lbs
    and I could have lost weight without eating!!!
  • nicoleisback
    Options
    Handful of raw almonds for a snack.
    Dip sliced apples in peanut butter.
    Add avocado to eggs, salads, sandwiches, just about anything.
    Use olive and coconut oils.
    Top your oatmeal with a handful of walnuts. And half a banana. Then drizzle it with a tablespoon of honey.

All give you a good dose of calories in small portions - you get closer to calorie goal without having to eat large portions of food. :smile:

^^^THIS^^^

I find the more I exercise in a day, the less I want to eat. Maybe it is because I drink a lot more water? When I am like this instead of lunch sometimes I will eat a handful of nuts and some dried fruit. It still gives me a decent amount of calories, some fats and sugar, but I am only eating about half a cup of food.

You could also try a post workout style drink. Something that will give you some protein and energy without you actually having to eat. Most of these types of drinks are 200-500 calories themselves.
  • CristinAndrus
    CristinAndrus Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are in the same boat as you. Thanks to everyone posting helpful ideas to add calories in small portions.
  • Brad592
    Brad592 Posts: 28 Member
    Options

If you are not hungry, then you don't NEED to eat.
    Your body will tell you if it is "Starving" or needs nutirents.
    If you are not feeling hungry, you don't need to eat!
    Please remember that the calorie goals set by us/programs are a guide only - your body will tell you what is right if you listen to it.
  • esmeylull
    Options
    Try adding a high calorie food but it has to be healthy. Like nuts, or an extra banana, or put honey on your bread, cook with a little more olive oil, things like that. This won't cause you weight gain.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options

Please remember that the calorie goals set by us/programs are a guide only - your body will tell you what is right if you listen to it.

Our bodies are terrible at telling us what we need. That's why a lot of us got fat in the first place, because our bodies told us that wow those cookies were good, let's have another! My brother went to law school and studied so hard he wouldn't eat for days at a time. He wasn't hungry. He permanently wrecked his thyroid.
  • KnM0107
    KnM0107 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I add in small amounts of calorie dense foods throughout the day (coconut oil, olive oil, peanut butter, alvacodo, cheese). These add up quickly, but you won't be adding much volume.

Or I just eat ice cream!
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Aim for more calorie dense foods. They are an easier way to get the calories in without feeling stuffed. (And while you're at it, check that you haven't accidentally switched to only eating low fat, "diet", "lite" and generally low calorie foods. Seems to be a common error amongst dieters).

If you don't like eating so much in the evening, plan better so that you eat more during the day. Pre-log your food for the day so that you're not surprised when you get to the end of the day and haven't eaten anything.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Grr!! This thread makes me so MAD!! Wish I had the can't eat more than 1200 calories gene :(
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options

So how is it that people who are on very low calorie diets often report having no appetite? And why do people who are over-eating often still feel hungry? How does the body differentiate between enormous quantities of low calorie foods and tiny quantities of high calorie food?
  • Vegan_85
    Vegan_85 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Can you increase your intake with a smoothie? It might be easier to drink the extra calories.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    Ice cream is the answer. :bigsmile:

+1.