Why I no longer use MFP

Options
A while back, under a different account, I lost 30 pounds. My Fitness Pal gave me the tools I needed to succeed and when anyone asks how I did it, I proudly tell them about this website. Shortly after meeting my goal, my phone broke and I no longer had access to the precious app that helped so much. I realized that without it, I had really no idea what I was doing. Sure, I knew my almond milk was 30 calories and my cereal was 120, but crunching all of these other numbers made my head spin. I was so sure that I would be able to maintain on my own, but I couldn't.
Fast forward a year later and the same ten yoyo'd pounds, I didn't feel healthy anymore. Nothing smacked me as hard as trying on my dress blues and feeling them tighter than ever.
I considered returning to MFP for a third time when it hit me. I've started and stopped twice in a year and a half; I certainly couldn't keep this up for the rest of my life.
At mealtime I eat my fill of veggies and soups and have a smaller portion of meat. Twice a day I go to the gym and sweat like the best of 'em. I've never been happier. Hungry for a snack? Apple slices. I'm not obsessing on being under my 1200 cal goal or knowing the calories down to the 10 for a Crystal Lite. I'm happy for once, feeling like *I* can do this, and not so dependant on this website.
The point of this isn't to tell you to leave MFP. I don't regret a single day of counting calories because I wouldn't be able to serve my beautiful country if I hadn't found it.
I just have a few questions to ask you:
Do you ever find yourself heartbroken because the little calculator tells you you're 100 calories over goal?
Have you left MFP, only to return because without it you gained weight?
Do you count down to the last raisin, because that 3 calories is important to you?

Maybe if you answered yes, you should test the waters outside of MFP. Live a little and see if you can take the skills you learned and apply them to your meal planning.

I can finally say I'm no longer a slave to calories. I'm just a girl who found out that she can do more on her own than she thought.

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Do you ever find yourself heartbroken because the little calculator tells you you're 100 calories over goal? Nor really. But, I will admit I worried a bit, but found out the worry was for naught.

Have you left MFP, only to return because without it you gained weight? No. This is the first time I've used it.

Do you count down to the last raisin, because that 3 calories is important to you? Nope. Most of the time I am slightly under calorie goal, sometimes I eat more, and once in a while I am way over. The end week calorie count is what matters most to me.

I will count calories and log them for the rest of my life if that's what it takes to keep my weight off.
  • feelin_gr_8
    feelin_gr_8 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Different strokes for different folks. Yes, I stress about the calories. But I know myself and I'm the kind of person that needs checklists (or in this case seeing the numbers) to feel accomplishment. It's like how in college I was a GPA freak...and you know what? Those grades got me full tuition scholarships. And my MFP "grades" give me results too ;) Once I've reached my goal, I'll wean off of MFP I'm sure.
  • Torgrills
    Torgrills Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    To each their own, I guess. I don't use this site because I'm a slave to the calories, I use it as a tool to be accountable to myself. It's my way of being honest after years and years of bad habits.
  • wizkklx
    wizkklx Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I don't disagree with you...But.

>> Twice a day I go to the gym and sweat like the best of 'em.

This is impractical for most people (especially less privileged people). You may not be slaving away at counting calories, but you are slaving away at beating them off.

For smaller people and women in general the margins of error are smaller making it easier to put weight back on. Maybe petite ladies or those with conditions like PCOS will always have to be more vigilant by keep closer track of their weight, either by counting with MFP, counting estimates in their head or in a hand written food journal, or just keeping on eye on the scale and fit of their clothes and restrict or work out if they notice they are increasing. Sometimes keeping healthy will just be more of a hassle for some people than others. Just like when you are at higher risk for any medical condition.
  • twhaley1990
    twhaley1990 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I will count calories and log them for the rest of my life if that's what it takes to keep my weight off.

Yes. The math and accessibility of calorie counting and mfp have made it so much easier for me to lose weight than I ever thought possible.

That being said, I'm glad you've found a system that works for you and peace of mind! This should be a tool, not something that stresses you out :)
  • sarahwitnh
    sarahwitnh Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I think what you have done is Awesome. You took what you learned and figured out how to make it your own. There is nothing wrong with that. In fact, that is what most people do. It worked for you and that is Great. Yes, everyone is different and this worked for you but maybe not everyone. But there still might be people who might read this and figure out their own path!
    If you use MFP or not, I thank you for sharing your story and inspiring me to stick with my goals of a healthier life style.
  • getfitaye
    Options
    I really am glad for you all that it works and you can keep at it! Like I said, MFP definitely changed my life and I don't regret it at all.
    I guess all I wanted was to give kind of insight to the struggle of
    "quitting". I'm really happy for you all and I wish you the best of luck!
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    I admit that most of the weight I lost was without MFP, in the beginning, because I didn't know about it, and really had no desire to count calories at the time. Now that I'm closer to goal, it's harder for me to lose weight, and I want to be able to eat as much as possible, and still lose weight. What can I say, I love food. I also can't live off of a 1,200 calorie diet. Good luck to you though! Edited to say that I also did try to quit MFP for a while, and gained almost 15lb's.
  • getfitaye
    Options
    You may not be slaving away at counting calories, but you are slaving away at beating them off.

I understand why you would think this, after all, that's what I used to do. I would work extra hard to earn that extra scoop of ice cream. After I stopped counting, exercise was suddenly more fun. It wasn't about punishing myself for eating a bit much or making sure I wouldn't gain anything; it was about rekindling my love for running and challenging myself. I needed that freedom. I know some people don't have that privilege, and I'm grateful that being in the military, staying fit is important so we have free gym access. (Run on sentence... too late to care!)
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    tl;dr
  • getfitaye
    Options
    tl;dr
    I don't use MFP anymore because I found out how to lose weight without the assistance of an app that I became obsessed with.
    Short enough? ;)
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    tl;dr
    I don't use MFP anymore because I found out how to lose weight without the assistance of an app that I became obsessed with.
    Short enough? ;)

yup.
    thanks. :drinker:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I don't log my workouts so I do not feel the need to exercise to 'earn those calories'. My exercise (which is lifting) is fun, regardless of whether I track or not. They are not related for me.

I continue to have body composition goals, even though I hit my goal weight quite a while ago, and tracking macros...yes, sometimes down to the last raisin...is sometimes part of that.

So, it is not in my interests at the moment to stop using this site, especially as it's so much more than a calorie counting tool.
  • Jess732008
    Jess732008 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    without it you gained weight?

Maybe if you answered yes, you should test the waters outside of MFP. Live a little and see if you can take the skills you learned

It is actually normal for people to have to use a calorie counting tool for the rest of their life. Most people will not be successful long term if they quit what helped them lose the weight, especially if they lost a lot of weight. I would not be encouraging people to quit what has helped them lose weight. That is exactly what gets people into trouble according to the "why people gained weight back" thread.
  • getfitaye
    Options
    I really wish people understood what I was trying to say. :(
    Once again, for the record, I would never tell anyone to quit MFP. Like I said, it changed my life. All I said was that sometimes you can branch out and find something different that works for you. I'm not ecouraging people to quit. I was one of those people who gained when I left. This post was pretty much me saying it doesn't have to be that way, and I'm proof of it!
    I applaud all of you for being here and you should be very proud of what you did! Please don't think I'm trying to make any of you quit.
  • ladyj_sa
    Options
    To be honest, I stopped using it because it wasn't working for me full stop. I started finding ways to eat bad foods by not eating good foods.

When I turned to Paleo and started following the principles 75% of the time I dropped some weight.

The reason I'm back on is for fear that I'm not eating enough calories to actually sustain myself... have a friend who actually started on a starvation diet of between 550 - 650 calories a day for 6 weeks (with the "Slender Wonder" programme). I didn't feel that it was good for her and then started questioning what I was eating.

But Paleo is the way to go for me!
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    Good for you, said with no ill-will.

However, I'm a little confused by the purpose of this post.
    The point of this isn't to tell you to leave MFP. [...] you should test the waters outside of MFP. Live a little and see if you can take the skills you learned and apply them to your meal planning.

It's just very odd.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I really wish people understood what I was trying to say. :(
    Once again, for the record, I would never tell anyone to quit MFP. Like I said, it changed my life. All I said was that sometimes you can branch out and find something different that works for you. I'm not ecouraging people to quit. I was one of those people who gained when I left. This post was pretty much me saying it doesn't have to be that way, and I'm proof of it!
    I applaud all of you for being here and you should be very proud of what you did! Please don't think I'm trying to make any of you quit.

When you said this:
    Maybe if you answered yes, you should test the waters outside of MFP.

what *were* you trying to say?

I am still a little confused tbh.
  • getfitaye
    Options
    Sorry for being confusing! The part at the end about testing new waters was meant to be for those who have fallen off the wagon or feel more sadness about MFP than they used to. Kind of like... If you feel like it's not for you anymore, don't be afraid to venture out. Sometimes failure is just the beginning of success.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    Okay I think.
    Maybe it's just late at night.