struggling with a 1200 calorie allowance

Options

Replies

• Binnee95
    Binnee95 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I've been averaging about 1500 calories and have lost 3 pounds in my first week. I'm eating a bit of everything in moderation. If I want cookies I just eat a portion. I don't want to lose the weight that fast so this method is working for me. I am a stress eater and used to eat a lot of calories so the 1500 is not so much for me.
    I was given 1250 calories when I first signed on... Is there any way to change that amount to 1500 so I don't go over every day?
  • red_road
    red_road Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    eat more. i find a good balance between results/satiety at 1500.
  • gemaquaries
    gemaquaries Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Most people try to jump in and start with the "Lose 2lbs" a week program. Start at a lb or 1/2 a lb until your stomach shrinks, and you get use to the smaller portion sizes, then lower your calorie count. Determination isn't a bad thing, but don't make the boulder too big to push up the hill. Start with a smaller stone, then when you are use to pushing it, make the stone bigger. Don't set yourself up for failure. JMO

So true! This is my 4th attempt at MFP and the first time I've stuck with it for that exact reason. You have to ease into the deficit to let your body adjust :)
  • emobert97
    Options
    What I do to help is exercise. If I exercise from 30 to 40 minutes a day and add that to my exercise diary, then it adds however many calories I burned to how many calories I can eat. That's what helped me. :) good luck!
  • MsMacL
    MsMacL Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    That's a good idea. Too strict too soon and you won't last the pace.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Its interesting that many of you say you don't worry to much about the natural sugars in fruit. I used to do weight watchers ( lost 50lb, but its maintaining where I fall down ) and on the weight watchers plan mostveg and fruit are considered free to eat I.e. not counted in your food intake and it used to work too. So the question question is... Is fruit andveg worth counting/should you count it? Any thoughts?

They have calories, so yes, they should be counted.
  • LovingLifeInCalifornia
    LovingLifeInCalifornia Posts: 9,362 Member
    Options
    I can't eat that little. Makes me CRAZY angry and hungry. HAHA.

When I first started on MFP (in July 2011), the system told me to eat about 1200-1300 calories/day in order to reach my goal weight. I was horrified. It wasn't enough. I changed the settings to 1600...and I ate back all my exercise calories. At one point, I even changed it to 1700 calories....

I lost 25 lbs. in 6 months.

Hope this helps.
  • lyndor90
    Options
    Hi!

I get what you're saying, that it's not enough, and depending on the foods you're eating, it would be difficult.

If you want to eat more, you should probably exercise to compensate

A chocolate bar alone takes up a quarter...

try following one of my days

protein shake with trim milk (250mls) - 200cals
    mandarin Satsuma & 1/2 cup blueberries - 108cals
    rice crackers with 20g peanut butter, 100g of banana and cinnamon - 250cals
    Carb-less snack bar - 120cals
    1/2 tin of vege soup - 84cals
    2 slices of wholegrain bread - 150cals
    5 dried prunes or apricots - 100cals
    1/2 cup blueberries - 46cals
    lyndor chocolate truffle - 70 cals
    fresh peach - 65cals

total - 1193

I have lost 24kg/55lbs since early september

Eat little and often :)
  • bonitaneko5
    Options
    going up to 1500 or even 1700 is okay concentrate on what foods you are eating how to make good food choices
  • sue_stef
    sue_stef Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I think it all comes to food choices. You need to find lower calorie food that will fill you up and stay with you. I eat a lot of homemade soups. I enter the ingredients on "My Recipes" and it calculates the number of calories per serving. I recently made a clam chowder that was 53 calories for one cup. I kept some in the fridge and froze some for workday lunches. With so few calories, I eat one and a half cups and some times add crackers. Just be creative. You can do it!:smile:
    I'd love that recipe for Clam chowder if you are willing to share
  • sarafischbach9
    sarafischbach9 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I have been on a 1200 calorie diet before. Back in 2009-2010 I lost some weight ( although it turned into disordered eating and my weight became very low ) I was on a 1000-1200 calorie diet. I ate anywhere between 1000-1299 calories a day. Everyday. I didn't exercise much. Maybe 30 minutes a few days a week. I dropped almost 20 lbs in a few months.

1200 is a little on the low side for me. I CAN do it but it brings me back memories of when I restricted a lot back in the day. I eat anywhere between 1200-1600 calories a day today. I do not eat a "set" amount everyday. I just eat what I like and I plan what I eat in the morning. I mainly am focusing on portion control, especially with things that are to be eaten in moderation, like cookies for example.

Today I had 1400 calories. A few days ago I had 1200 calories. A couple days ago I had over 1500 but under 1600, but that was when I had Chipotle with my friends and didn't want to be weird by not eating it with them.

I've been averaging a couple pounds a week, although I am sure it will slow down in a month or so.
  • sarafischbach9
    sarafischbach9 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    eat more. i find a good balance between results/satiety at 1500.

1500 is always a good amount.
  • cbeet
    cbeet Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    sugar is sugar.
  • F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I am eating 1500 a day and losing 1Lb a week steadily. I never feel hungry and it's not difficult to stick to. Seriously consider upping your calories unless a doctor has specified you stick to 1200. It's really not enough for most people. You can eat at or above your BMR and continue to lose weight. It will be a slower process, but you will be losing more fat and less muscle. You will look less flabby once you reach your goal instead of proportionately a similar BF%. Personally, if I'm going to do this, it is a lifestyle change and I want to lose the fat itself and look good when I get to my goal.
  • Jazzakazz
    Jazzakazz Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You need to start somewhere.....i ve been back at this for 5 days and each day i went over but it's less everyday....you won t lose 50 lbs in 3 weeks just Don t get discouraged and if you are tracking your progress use it to motivate you
  • trinakiddo123
    Options
    hey guys, ive been doing the 1200 cals a day for about a year now - but i allow myself atleast one blow out cheat meal a week! think it stops me from going insane. i also dont eat back the calories i burn off,
    i find really good foods are eggs, tuna, skinny pasta, loading bologneses/stir frys/chillis with LOTS of vegetables and small amounts of meat! i also weigh pretty much everything as it is so easier to go over the weight of pasta etc.

there are some days when im starving and some when im stuffed! very strange.

keep at it :) produces amazing results. xxxxx

Isn't this a bit misleading? aren't you consuming a lot of your calories that you burn in your one cheat meal?

no, i burn on average around 600 cals 5/6 times a week. my cheat meal is normally 1000 max. i never eat back the calories i burn, even if i burn 800 i will still only consume 1200.
  • Shoechick5
    Shoechick5 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    hey guys, ive been doing the 1200 cals a day for about a year now - but i allow myself atleast one blow out cheat meal a week! think it stops me from going insane. i also dont eat back the calories i burn off,
    i find really good foods are eggs, tuna, skinny pasta, loading bologneses/stir frys/chillis with LOTS of vegetables and small amounts of meat! i also weigh pretty much everything as it is so easier to go over the weight of pasta etc.

there are some days when im starving and some when im stuffed! very strange.

keep at it :) produces amazing results. xxxxx

Isn't this a bit misleading? aren't you consuming a lot of your calories that you burn in your one cheat meal?

no, i burn on average around 600 cals 5/6 times a week. my cheat meal is normally 1000 max. i never eat back the calories i burn, even if i burn 800 i will still only consume 1200.

So the day you have a 1,000 calorie meal the rest of the day you only eat 200?

Whatever works, but holy cow only netting 400 calories a day, :explode:
  • JaneWalerud
    Options
    There is decent research saying that protein makes you feel more full, and eat whole fruits and vegetables rather than puréed ones; they take longer to eat so you have time to feel more full.

So I eat a vegetable omelette many mornings. No cheese, mind you.

It keeps me full until a late lunch and doesn't contain any sugar.
  • wmahunter
    Options
    Same here. But here is what I did. Added a tbsp of cinnamon to your cereal in the am. It will help resolved the shakes. Plus I added a piece of fruit in the am between breakfast and lunch.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    Read this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819925-the-basics-don-t-complicate-it

Figure out how much you really need to be eating and eat at that level. Even if you have a sit down job, I do 12.5 hrs. minimum per shift in front of two computer monitors and a keyboard, your body probably needs more than 1200 cals on regular basis, a few days a week probably not an issue but if you do anything like clean house, walk in from a parking lot, shop at a mall or big box store, you will probably need more cals than 1200. I am 5'3" and not athletic in the least.

Some have done, often with dr. and dietician supervision. I did it before (lifetime WW member) , but I had absolutely no strength at the end and I regained it all when I tried to stop eating at that level. I am 5'3" and not athletic in the least.

Good luck on your journey.