Heart rate too high while running?

Can one's heart rate be too high while running? I've gotten back into using my HRM. The last 2 runs I did, my average heart rate was 160 and maximum was 180. I don't have an issue right now sustaining that heart rate for my runs. Just wondering if I'm getting it too high.

My resting heart rate is in the mid to upper 50s and I'm 27.

Replies

• LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Your maximum HR at 27 is 193,so at 160 you're not too high. You should try to keep it under 164 so that you're in an aerobic (vs anaerobic) state. It's better for your body.

C25K might help you with your heartrate, have you tried that before?
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    My max has been 210. 170 is normal for me when running.
  • runnermom419
    runnermom419 Posts: 366 Member
    Your maximum HR at 27 is 193,so at 160 you're not too high. You should try to keep it under 164 so that you're in an aerobic (vs anaerobic) state. It's better for your body.

C25K might help you with your heartrate, have you tried that before?

Yep, finished a few weeks ago with it.
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Different things can affect your heart rate. Caffeine consumption, medications, stuff like that.

I take a medication that raises my heart rate a bit, and it's unavoidable. See if you're taking or doing anything which could add a bit of stress to your heart. If not, you can try to work on your pace until your heart gets used to it.

If none of that works, you can check with a cardiologist, but that's probably not necessary just yet.
  • Floobaloob
    Floobaloob Posts: 25 Member
    At 170-175bpm I'm definitely still aerobic and able to sustain a nice pace for longer runs with even breathing (15km no bother). I have one horrible hill run that puts me over 200 for short stretches.
    I wouldn't worry about a 160 average on a run. I'd love to get mine that low (my resting heart rate is low 60s)
  • xX_PhoenixRising_Xx
    xX_PhoenixRising_Xx Posts: 622 Member
    Agree with most of this. When I started running my HR went over 190 sometimes - I'm 34. I was very careful not to sustain that HR although I felt okay, it was the running that felt like it was going to kill me at first. Talk about unfit! Now I can run 6km with an average HR of 157. Granted, I run fairly slow but the same speed that used to spike 190. I'm working on distance rather than speed, and the highest it gets now is around 170, but that's not sustained. The more I run the lower it stays. At that HR I'm breathing easily and just have a good stride going. My usual resting HR sits under 50.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    sounds fine to me