Anyone else find it hard to be satisfied with their body?

I see progress, but I don't feel any happier with myself.
If anything I was more comfortable in my own skin 10kg ago!

I'm eating healthy, exercising regularly; but hapiness has decreased for me.

Anyone else find this kind of mindset creeping in?

And no I don't have any DSM version of body dismorphia.

Replies

• beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    I believe that being happy with yourself is about a lot more than what you see in the mirror.
  • BIGJIMMYU
    BIGJIMMYU Posts: 1,221 Member
    I may not have a super body but it"s great compared to how it used to be. If completely satisfied one gives up!
  • mrsamanda86
    mrsamanda86 Posts: 869 Member
    Most days I feel like I look a lot better. When I don't feel that way, I try to keep my mind on how much I have improved at day to day things and in the gym. I just got my old exercises from my trainer, and in just the past few months, my workouts have gotten way more intense(ETA: because I can actually DO more intense now), and I've moved up in weights on pretty much EVERY workout I've done. Before and after pictures help sometimes too, as does going to the gym and weighing myself on that scale and NOT having to put the big bar on 150 and keep moving the little bar further to the right anymore LOL Wherever you see progress, focus on that!!
  • bridgew24
    bridgew24 Posts: 143 Member
    I've definitely hit a plateu with the scales, so they aren't any comfort! haha

I've gained weight, but in muscle I'm fairly sure. It's more that my shape is just not forming into what I pictured all this hard work looking like? Does that make sense?

I maybe a tough mudder or something of the such might kick my butt into gear. haha
  • stt43
    stt43 Posts: 487
    If you are not getting enough calories/nutrients then it will effect your mood.
    If you are focusing a lot more on your body, as most people do when trying to change how it looks, then you will perceive more flaws in it.
    Your happiness may be unrelated to your eating/body, and so changes to these factors may not influence how you feel.
  • You need to get used to your new body before you'll feel comfortable in your skin. It's true that you may be eating a little too little food which could effect your mood.

But positive thinking all the way! Look in the mirror every morning and compliment three things about your body. You'll get used to the new you soon enough, just remember that you've left your comfort zone and have to make a new one!
  • bridgew24
    bridgew24 Posts: 143 Member
    just remember that you've left your comfort zone and have to make a new one!

Ah I love that.
    I really do think I'm getting enough calories though. I stopped tracking a while back however because I spent wayyyy too much time calorie counting and thinking about food I could let myself have.
  • Edensienna
    Edensienna Posts: 180 Member
    I'm pretty close to my ultimate goal weight.. I feel lighter and more energised but I still have areas that I'd love to change but will have to accept even at my goal weight. I don't plan to push my body to extremes to look perfect...
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    I think those feelings are quite common, especially when dieting.

Dieting can set up a conflict between your mind / desires and body. You mind wants one thing "I want to be slim right now. I want to be this weight. I want to look like Jessica Alba" but your body wants another "I want nutrients. I want to survive. I want to hold on to these fat stores as insurance".

What this does, especially if you are overly concerned with your weight and appearance is create a constant state of anxiety about your body which turns into resentment "Stupid body. It hates me. It doesn't do what I tell it to do". This decreases your happiness.

If you shift your focus from that to a more positive place then you will be happier. Your body is AMAZING. So is mine. So is the body of an obese person. No, not because of the way it looks but the way it operates. What it does for you. It keep you alive. It lets you feel the warmth of the sunshine on your face. Your heart has never failed you despite the pressures you put on it. It allows you to cycle in the mountains, swim in the lakes, run on the trails. It allows you to be...alive.

Respect your body. It is truly beautiful.
  • CarlKRobbo
    CarlKRobbo Posts: 390 Member
    Just a bit...... ALWAYS! And that's after the latest progress shots getting me 15 positive comments, and 0 negative!
  • All the hard work sometimes can make you a little depressed... keep up the hard work!! You will feel much better as time goes on...
  • I see progress, but I don't feel any happier with myself.
    If anything I was more comfortable in my own skin 10kg ago!

I'm eating healthy, exercising regularly; but hapiness has decreased for me.

Anyone else find this kind of mindset creeping in?

And no I don't have any DSM version of body dismorphia.

lol I know... ): But maybe our bodies will recomposition (or whatever it is called) with time, along with our mind-sets. :) Shopping trips to make yourself feel cherished and good-looking/beautiful, in a new piece of clothing, never went astray. :happy:
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Increasingly women in general seem to be more dissatisfied with their body.

How much of this is down to media telling you 'how to get the perfect body' (i.e. perfect through the eyes of the snooty editor), or how to get a tummy like 'X Celebrity (as if a tummy is something you could buy off a supermarket shelf).

Also fakeness and shows that follow people around who go and get plastic surgery to try and give themselves some kind of advantage. It is all a load of crap.