Stairmaster

Amara15
Amara15 Posts: 211 Member
edited September 21 in Fitness and Exercise
This may be a stupid question.. but I don't know the answer! Is running up and down your house staircase for 20 min the same as using a stair master for 20 minutes? I recently moved into a new apartment 30 minutes away from my gym so I'm trying to get creative, since I don't have time for the trip over to the gym nearly as much anymore. Thanks!

Replies

• I think running up and down stairs is actually harder because you don't have the side handles to rest your hands on.
  • Amara15
    Do you think it burns comparable calories?
  • blondie76
    blondie76 Posts: 552 Member
    you burn more on stairs, doing it yourself!
    I just used the database and for jogging up stairs for me was 200 cals, and stair climber was 120 cals!

Good to know!!
  • Amara15
    THanks!
  • JoyJulRay
    JoyJulRay Posts: 99 Member
    I run stairs all the time, thats the only workout I did for my first 30lbs lost, I do 17 steps around 1100 times in 30mins.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Running up stairs is much more intense than a stair climber (the "pedal" kind) because you are actually lifting your body weight up a vertical distance. Doing stairs is more like interval training, since it is practically impossible to find a long enough stairway to continuously climb. So the climbing part is the "work" interval, and going down is "recovery" (although not entirely because you are still eccentrically working the muscles--it just isn't raising your heart rate).

So, if you do it in a focused way -- following the usual guidelines of frequency, intensity and duration, you can, as another poster described, see good results.
This discussion has been closed.