low carb

Options
OK, I'm at a loss for which low carb plan is the "best". A little ,background in me, I have PCOS, and am ever so lucky to be insulin resistant due to it. I am not on insulin however I am on metformin 2000/mg a day. My last fasting bloodwork for the Dr my sugar was 99, not great but better than it has been. I know for me carbs and I do not mix ( I'm talking the "bad" carbs not fruits and veggies) I can usually do pretty well for myself for a few days but usually always cave by the end of the week. I hold myself responsible for that. I'm looking for suggestions, books that have helped others, cookbooks really anything that has helped you stick to a new healthy lifestyle, 2014 is my year!!! :-)

Replies

• CycloneA
    Options
    While I can't comment on the medical side of your Q I personally have found weight loss hypnosis mp3's really helpful to stop carb cravings. I normally love bread, pasta, potatos etc but have been able to focus more on eating fresh healthy fruit and veg without feeling ripped off with the hypnosis. And for the cynics out there - even if it's a placebo who cares? It works.
  • superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I am trying the 17 Day Diet,which starts out as a low carb diet. I am 4 days in and can tell by the way my clothes fit that it is working so far. I'm not sure how that would work with your needs but feel free to add me anyway!!:drinker:
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I personally follow a LCHF diet, which is working real well for me. If you google LCHF, you will get the info you need. Also, there are a few low carb forums on MFP, such as:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/411-low-carber-daily-forum-the-group-
  • Muir78
    Muir78 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    As a fellow gal with PCOS, insulin resistance and all the other fun stuff that goes with it, I have found that low carb helps tremendously. As my ob/gyn put it..."almost keto, but not quite." There are quite a few recommendations out there to avoid dairy and soy.

I guess one of the benefits of being Celiac as well (usually not a good thing), avoiding grains has become second nature since I've been diagnosed. But really cutting back on cheese and yogurt has been a little more challenging.

A few sites/resources that I've found that help with LCHF and/or PCOS info are:

www.dietdoctor.com (really good info and has a lot of the science behind low carb eating)
    www.pcosdietsupport.com/
    www.marksdailyapple.com
    www.whole9life.com (home of the Whole 30, if you've heard of it)
    and thousands more... just Google LCHF, paleo, primal, etc.

As others have mentioned, there are also a few groups on this site for low carb and paleo/primal eating. I'm not 100% sure about PCOS support groups specifically, though.