Heart Rate Monitors/Calorie Burners

Options
Hey there anyone LOVE their HRM and wanna recommend it? I am in the market for one and with so many to choose from would love some suggestions ;)

Replies

• kendra1976
    kendra1976 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I have a simple HRM (that a friend gave me). It does it's job, but I would invest in a Polar with a chest strap. They are awesome and this way you don't have to stop and push the watch to get a heart rate reading. They are worth the money. I am saving for one now! :-)
  • Jenks
    Jenks Posts: 349
    Options
    Polar FT4 <3 it :happy:
    It was just under $100.
  • CharityD
    CharityD Posts: 193
    Options
    I have a Polar F6 and love it! It's easy to use, has a chest strap and is PINK :flowerforyou:
  • seledka
    seledka Posts: 1
    Options
    I have Polar FT 40 F, that is the less advenced. It works, give me my HR and my calorie count. This week (or 3 days) it is on sale at RAI store fro $110, if I remember it correctly.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I use a BodyMedia FIT, which is the same thing as a bodybugg, and I love it! Both types of devices - this and a HRM have their pros and cons. This isn't waterproof, but it is designed to be worn all day and is much more accurate in terms of non-exercise calorie estimates than a HRM is. A HRM on the other hand gives you feedback on your heart rate, which some people use as a specific training tool (zone training). It all comes down to what you want to use it for. I wanted a fairly accurate device to estimate my calories for the whole day, which is why I decided to get the BodyMedia FIT.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Polar FT7, mine was around $90
  • Jamiebee24
    Jamiebee24 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I have a polar ft7---love love love it! It has a chest strap, and tells you everything you need to know--super easy to use too! I got mine off of amazon--and if you shop around there for a few days, you can get a really great deal! :)
  • emalay
    emalay Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar RS100 that I bought used on kijiji for $50 and I love it. If it doesn't have to be brand new there are lots out there on sites like kijiji, ebay, craig's list..etc. I agree with others that having the chest strap is a must. I find I burn significantly more calories than what is recorded here on MFP for activities, and every calorie counts when you are dieting and exercising!!
  • clearwaterfin
    clearwaterfin Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I just purchased a polar, FT7 and I really like it, it was easy to set up and it does come w/ a chest strap, helps track your heartrate when working out..a little expensive but worth it..it just depends what your wanting out of it. it monitors your heartrate and also tells u if your burning fat calories. plus it gives u how many calories u burned during your workout...u just have to do some research on them and see which brand is best for your needs...good luck..
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    I had a Polar with a chest strap and it didn't track my calories burned.
    I now have a Sportline model.
  • yummygoods
    yummygoods Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I just got the Polar FT4 which I found online for $70. I don't have much experience with it yet, ,but I like it so far!
  • luvstolose
    Options
    I have a polar F4 with chest strap I love it. I compared it to the computers on the gym machines and the heart rate was right on the money the calories were a little off but not bad.
  • mookia
    mookia Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have FT11 for a long time and love it. I am planning to trade in ft60 because it adds running miles and speed..
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    I have a polar ft7---love love love it! It has a chest strap, and tells you everything you need to know--super easy to use too! I got mine off of amazon--and if you shop around there for a few days, you can get a really great deal! :)
    Of the Polars FT7 is the newest, it's replacing Polar 6 and 7 although I'm sure you can still buy those but I noticed the FT7 does more than those and it's about the same price so that's why I'm looking to get the newest one.

I've done lots of research view the web, Polar sites, Amazone comments, other web comments, MFP archives, members etc. I'm looking to use mine for swimming (which other owners on here verify works well YAY), and of course other workouts so I'm good to go on picking one up, just need to wait a bit. I'm seeing about $109 local on mine. I don't have a Sports Authority etc., or I could probably pick it up cheaper. I do look from time to time online for deals though. :) I typcially like to buy local though and only purchase on the web if something isn't available from my area.

Good luck finding one that's perfect for you :drinker: