Body Fat % Measurement

Options
I am using a cheap weighing scale from walmart that can also display body fat %, which I thought is great. Entering my current age and metrics I am getting a reading of about 22.2%, when I drop my age to 18 the scale measures 20%. In the gym I have used an omron hand meter that measures body fat % and this show 18% using my current age. So what should I believe? I like to believe the omron meter :-).

Any insight from other people who looked into this topic?

Many thanks in advance.

Replies

• TheNextMrsBiao
    Options
    I have a set of analyser scales, and when I was researching which were the best, the general consensus seemed to be that they aren't a set in stone accurate measurement, like you'd get from proper equipment. They are more of a loose guide so that you can track progress. That's how I see mine anyway. I don't take the results I get as concrete :) The scales send a pulse up your leg and to the waist, then back down the other leg and measure resistance, so it's not a full body reading. I'd go with the omron :wink:
  • angiedeborja
    angiedeborja Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    HI Hofi,
    I have used a both a body fat scale, and calipers above the hip bone. They fair pretty close, 0.2 difference. The chart I use that comes with the calipers incorporates age into the body fat%. I would say that calipers could be your next step to compare and test the reliability. Mine came when I ordered a Beachbody workout program, but you can easily get one online on Amazon for $15 or less I believe. Hope this helps!
  • Vex3521
    Vex3521 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Most accurate would be getting floated in a tank from what I Remember...... I think least accurate is tape measurements. I had a 9% discrepancy with them compared to the Omron handheld. Believe me I Wish the Omron was wrong!! But I know that it's probably closer to correct. Am getting calipers here shortly so I'll do a comparison post between the 3 most available tools we all have.... tapes, calipers and monitors. My scale doesn't do bf so I don't know if we'll be changing that any time soon!
  • nicoleisback
    Options
    Boy fat analysing scales work on measuring the speed of (extremely mild) electric currents through your legs. There are so many things that can affect this such as your body build and the shape of your legs, the ambient temperature, your hydration levels and if you are sweating just to name a few. Any good instructions with scales like this will tell you the results are only approximate, and should only be taken once a week at most to 'measure general trends over time' (the exact wording from my scales instructions). I would suggest caliper measurements as a more accurate (although still not 100%) measuring tool
  • fat2strongbeth
    fat2strongbeth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I find that most scales measuring body fat% are off by quite a bit. I suggest picking one and consistently using it so you can track changes in your body fat, but not depending on it for an accurate %.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    If you join sidesteel and sarauk's MFP group they are willing to give bf% estimates based on pictures. They seem to really know their stuff :)
  • tennyt1
    tennyt1 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    can you post a link to the group
  • GadgetGuy2
    GadgetGuy2 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    .... Any good instructions with scales like this will tell you the results are only approximate, and should only be taken once a week at most to 'measure general trends over time' (the exact wording from my scales instructions). I would suggest caliper measurements as a more accurate (although still not 100%) measuring tool
    ^----this.
    No matter what measurement device you end up choosing, the "trend" is what will tell you if you are going in the right direction.
    What is the goal then, if not a %BodyFat measurement? When the mirror and your significant other (or equivalent) tell you that you have arrived at goal (the device will let you know your getting closer)! Don't let an "average number" for the "average person" be your goal, as we are all different to varying degrees.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
  • hofi2010
    Options
    great thanks everyone for the advice. Looks like there is no exact measuring technique for bf %, which makes sense. Found tip of taking just a picture and having people looking at it interesting. Seems to be probably the most accurate method.
  • JoJo__Fit
    JoJo__Fit Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Hydrostatic or Skin fold are the most accurate.

The scale would tell me 24% and the hand thingy one at the gym.

My reading on the skin fold and dunk test was 15.8% hugh difference :)