Plantar Fasciitis and Working Out

Options

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Avoid stretching and any cortisone or pain masking agents!! Plantar Fasciitis is when the fascia under the arch of your foot is inflamed. When you stretch it, the muscle tears and the inflammation sets in further, preventing your bodies tissue from healing. You need to increase blood flow to the area to treat PF. The symptoms of PF can be treated with cold therapy, but you need to avoid stretching at all costs. Look into BFST by King Brand, they are the only makers of the technology and it works!! I used to really feel it when doing load bearing work outs like squats and lunges. DO NOT STRETCH, you will only make your PF last much much longer.

http://www.kingbrand.com/Plantar_Fasciitis_Treatment.php?REF=39PV1

Do you sell that product? I keep seeing it plugged here by new members. Promotion isn't allowed here.

Also, there is no inflammation with chronic PF, only degeneration:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12756315

Also, stretching does help PF:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12851352

Also, cold doesn't increase blood flow, it reduces it, by constricting blood vessels. That's basic physiology.

OP - if stretching and orthotics aren't helping, and it doesn't hurt first thing in the morning, you might have something other than PF - like heel spurs or tarsal tunnel syndrome. You may need to see a podiatrist to determine the cause.
  • Vince_1964
    Vince_1964 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I've got PF too - pretty frequently in the right foot, only sometimes in my left foot. I do stretching, icing, and foam rolling for it to help, but really I just continue to workout with the pain (doesn't typically hurt while exercing - I am pretty typical of PF sufferers ... as my foot hurts the next morning when I get out of bed).

Seen the doctor for it, he says rest, stretch and has given me some anti-inflammatory meds to take as needed. There isn't really much else you can do (orthotics can help too and you can get the cortisone injections, but those are temporary and can potentially cause greater issues with the tendon).

It really shouldn't be consistent though - tends to come-and-go more typically. As some other posters have said, you may have some additional issues that a podiatrist might be able to find.
  • gophertracts
    gophertracts Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    cool lazier treatments from a Podiatrist. I have had PF off and on for over 25 years and this worked best for me. I had the shots very painful. The stretching did help. Get a pair of orthotics from the Podiatrist , and never go barefooted. Cool LAZIER.
  • Kyle47BC
    Kyle47BC Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Avoid stretching and any cortisone or pain masking agents!! Plantar Fasciitis is when the fascia under the arch of your foot is inflamed. When you stretch it, the muscle tears and the inflammation sets in further, preventing your bodies tissue from healing. You need to increase blood flow to the area to treat PF. The symptoms of PF can be treated with cold therapy, but you need to avoid stretching at all costs. Look into BFST by King Brand, they are the only makers of the technology and it works!! I used to really feel it when doing load bearing work outs like squats and lunges. DO NOT STRETCH, you will only make your PF last much much longer.

http://www.kingbrand.com/Plantar_Fasciitis_Treatment.php?REF=39PV1

Do you sell that product? I keep seeing it plugged here by new members. Promotion isn't allowed here.

Also, there is no inflammation with chronic PF, only degeneration:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12756315

Also, stretching does help PF:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12851352

Also, cold doesn't increase blood flow, it reduces it, by constricting blood vessels. That's basic physiology.

OP - if stretching and orthotics aren't helping, and it doesn't hurt first thing in the morning, you might have something other than PF - like heel spurs or tarsal tunnel syndrome. You may need to see a podiatrist to determine the cause.

I dont believe he is saying cold cures, it treats the symptoms such as inflammation and swelling. Which I had and treated successfully.
  • candykoated
    candykoated Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME responses from everyone! Thanks so much. I'm a person that can admit my faults and I must confess that I'm not consistent with the stretching. I know I know I know... please don't shoot me! But now that I've read so many people saying "STRETCH...STRETCH...STRETCH" I think I definitely have to now. I had an x-ray done when I first went to the doctor and he claimed there was no heel spur, but I know I could see one in that x-ray (of course he's the one with the degree) and I also can feel it when I push on my heel. But what I feel most, is when I'm walking, my foot starts almost cramping up. I have to stop, stretch out my toes in my shoes, lean and press forward on a wall in order for it to go away. I tried the cold bottles under my feet and that hurt so bad right when I got to my heel that I stopped. I was also told to eat pineapple to help with the inflammation. Anyone else ever been told that?
  • candykoated
    candykoated Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I was told emphatically to NOT do cortisone shots because it's only a short-term fix. I was really considering that too. :(
  • AJL437
    AJL437 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    So glad you posted! I got a lot of tips here. I agree with the poster who said you can achieve some of your weigh loss goals through diet while you are in this healing process. This may sound weird but check out chair aerobics. You can google it or look it up on youtube. It's a set of exercises you can do while seated so this may be easier on the days you can't get to the gym to swim or ride the stationary bike. It's all about getting your heart rate up.
  • justateaspoon
    justateaspoon Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    i feel you, hun! I'm a teacher and as you can imagine, am on my feet all day. I also have a fitbit, so I'm determined to meet a 14k step goal every day. I have Plantar Facilitis and did the same thing you did. What I ended up doing was getting the inserts that the doc told me to get and put them in every flat shoe I have. I got rid *sob* of all my sexy heels and bought Dansko shoes, Clarks and one other, I forget the name of them. They are not sexy AT ALL. But they do keep my feet happy. I am on my feet 87% of the time during the day. And I give incentives to my students to harass me if they see me sitting for more than 15. All of the advice about stretching and resting, caloric deficit using food over exercise (for now) really does work.

I used the elliptical, stationary bike and rower all summer to rest my feet. Epsom salt soaks are also very lovely. Massage your foot regularly. Good luck! If it's any consolation, I'm up and walking without wincing since September! And that was with 2 feet PF!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    There are lots of exercises you can still do without having to put a lot of pressure on your foot with PF. Rowing, swimming, cycling, yoga, pilates, boxing are just a few.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • vrmshoes
    vrmshoes Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have PF too, really bad.
    I found icing helps a ton, massaging it with a tennis ball or frozen golf ball, stretching my foot, stretching calf muscles, and taping my arch has done wonders!!! and of course really good orthotics.

Fitness wise, eliptical machine! or rowing machine! or bicycle!
  • halleymw
    halleymw Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    whether there is a heel spur on the xray means NOTHING. If you have pf, you have it. The only exercise I can do is the bike, can't even do the ellptical for more than 10 minutes or it flares up. Never tried the rowing machine as my gym doesn't have one, but I don't think the feet would like it.
    Mike
  • BekaBooluvsu
    BekaBooluvsu Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I've had plantar fasciitis for 13 years. Also have fibromyalgia (chronic pain) for the same 13 years. With that said I feel like mine was directly related to my diet. I ate pizza, soda, candy you know all the stuff you shouldn't have. 73 days ago I decided to focus on my nutrition and I have to say my pain has been drastically reduced. I no longer take prescription or Over-the-counter pain meds.

I jog(high intensity short time) walk (low intensity and long time) and do strength training right now. I still have pain but the more I do the easier it gets.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    hi all,

i'm new to having PF was diagnosed last october. podiatrist gave me 2 cortisone shots (not at once) which temporarily helped, stretching exercises and a soft sleeping boot. everything was great up until 3 weeks ago when it returned. it's only in my right foot. stupid foot. i run, i love it and i'm not going to stop and my podiatrist knows this - he just shakes his head.

since the shots were temporary i don't want to get them again i want to fix it. i plan on returning to my podiatrist after next week's race - yes yes i know the race is only going to irritate it even more. i'm stubborn. right now i'm doing my abc's (with my foot), calf raises, roller, icing, foot flexes. what else can i do? oh and i wear over the counter orthotics (for right now - next apt w/pod going to get fitted for good ones for running).

i thought about buying a pair of low compression socks (trainers performance socks) will this help?
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    bump
  • just_Jennie1
    Options
    Oh, and I was told emphatically to NOT do cortisone shots because it's only a short-term fix. I was really considering that too. :(

Yes, it's temporary but it IS a viable option.

My husband was in so much pain that he HAD to get cortisone shots as well as take anti-inflamatories. The main thing that he did was stop running. He only had to get maybe 4 of the shots (he does not like having to do anything like that but the pain was so bad he conceded) but it took well over a year for it to heal.

He also got custom made orthodics for his shoes (mostly his runners) and they helped a LOT.
  • just_Jennie1
    Options
    I've had plantar fasciitis for 13 years. Also have fibromyalgia (chronic pain) for the same 13 years. With that said I feel like mine was directly related to my diet. I ate pizza, soda, candy you know all the stuff you shouldn't have. 73 days ago I decided to focus on my nutrition and I have to say my pain has been drastically reduced. I no longer take prescription or Over-the-counter pain meds.

I jog(high intensity short time) walk (low intensity and long time) and do strength training right now. I still have pain but the more I do the easier it gets.

Your fibromyalgia or your plantar fasciitis was due to your diet? I can see the former but not the latter. PF is caused by a tearing in your faci which is the tendon that runs down the middle of your foot and basically holds it together. It tears from things like running, walking, being on your feet all the time. Not your diet.
  • yogacat13
    yogacat13 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I had plantar fasciitis and now I don't. I had no choice but to do lots of walking when I had it (I live in central London so you have to walk basically everywhere). I even had to walk half an hour to get to the physio. Here's my advice for knocking it on the head:

Firstly, get some epsom salts or dead sea salts and soak your feet in warm to hot water with about half a cup of salts every night. My physio was so impressed at how well this worked that she started advising other patients to try it.
    Second, tape your foot/feet when walking (a sports medicine guy or physio can show you how). This helps immeasurably.
    Thirdly, see a physio if you can and get them to use ultrasound on it.

Avoid cortisone shots if you can - my mother tried that with hers and ended up with nerve damage (there's too many nerves in the feet for this to be really safe in my view after witnessing that).
  • yogacat13
    yogacat13 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME responses from everyone! Thanks so much. I'm a person that can admit my faults and I must confess that I'm not consistent with the stretching. I know I know I know... please don't shoot me! But now that I've read so many people saying "STRETCH...STRETCH...STRETCH" I think I definitely have to now. I had an x-ray done when I first went to the doctor and he claimed there was no heel spur, but I know I could see one in that x-ray (of course he's the one with the degree) and I also can feel it when I push on my heel. But what I feel most, is when I'm walking, my foot starts almost cramping up. I have to stop, stretch out my toes in my shoes, lean and press forward on a wall in order for it to go away. I tried the cold bottles under my feet and that hurt so bad right when I got to my heel that I stopped. I was also told to eat pineapple to help with the inflammation. Anyone else ever been told that?

And yes, pineapple does help with inflammation. It's the bromelain. You can buy the bromelain supplements as well, jsut make sure you take them on an empty stomach.
  • justifit
    Options
    Ouch PF! I am experiencing the pain of PF. All of the information is so helpful. I will try anything. As of now, I am still able to work out but have to watch my moves closely. I stretch and ice my feet which helps but once I start any dancing or aerobics it can flare up. My other mistake...HIGH HEEL SHOES. :( I love to wear high heels once a week (Saturday night) and even once a week has killed my legs, knees and feet. I did notice that if I strength train with leg exercises there is less leg pain. I am in comfortable shoes ALL THE TIME (except and occasional Saturday) even in the house sometimes. I find the most comfort in keeping my shoes on. I can't give any better advice that has been given but just know you are not alone. Let me know how and when you are healed.
  • froggiebecky
    froggiebecky Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I've had PF for about a year now. When I was diagnosed, the docs took me off of any exercise that involved running, jumping, or stretching my calf muscle (squats, lunges, etc). I was also banned from dancing, and I was only allowed to keep wakeboarding/snowboarding because it involves wearing big supportive boots. This is the rest of what I've done/tried:

*Closet clean out: All flip flops, cute flat sandals, ballet flats, any shoe with no arch support: GONE. Banned from the closet forever. I had to replace this with a pair of old-lady orthotic shoes (I found the cutest ones I could), new arch-support inserts for my gym shoes , and a pair of shoes for the house. The docs recommended trying birkenstocks, but I was happy with a pair of crocs. These got worn from the second I put my feet on the floor in the morning 'til the minute I went to bed at night. Any new shoe purchases need to have 1/4-1/2" heel to take the pressure off the fascia. --You mentioned that your job involves standing. You probably need some new work shoes with proper support. Heels have been temporarily banned for me, but aren't the culprit, so they can be added in when I'm pain free.

*Acupuncture/dry needling. This hurt like heck, but man, it worked. Along with serious massaging from a physiotherapist.

*Strassburg sock: I had the soft version, someone else I know got the hard-framed one. We both had a lot of success with this.

*Taping: Started out being taped all the time, and has gradually decreased. I should probably still tape on occasion, but don't.

*Ice/stretching. I hate having cold feet, so I wasn't very compliant with that. Stretches, yes, but only after the acute phase has passed. I started stretches after 3 months, and had to stop because the pain was getting worse. Just now adding them back in with some success (7 mos. into treatment).

*Massage. I did this a lot in between needling sessions. My docs recommended I "find someone who hates me and ask them for a foot massage."

Up next for me is more massage, and possibly some Graston Technique to break up the scar tissue. I don't have the morning pain much anymore, but I get tired/sore if i walk long distances, stand for a long time, or jump around (went to a social dance recently and couldn't walk for 45 min the next morning). I also get incredibly sore on long plane flights (I travel for work)--the last time I was on a 6 hour flight I was nearly in tears (even with compression socks). So I'm not quite there myself.

Don't be afraid to try different things. People seem to develop this for different reasons, and, as one doc told me, lots of things help, but no one thing helps everyone equally. It's really about finding the combination that works for you. Keep an open mind and try to not get discouraged.