Sleep Apnea - alternatives to CPAP?

Options
I had a sleep study a year ago that said I have sleep apnea. I am just now on a trial period with a CPAP machine. If this is my only option, I'll obviously do it but the first night with it was hellish. I also worry that long term I may become reliant on the machine and that my apnea will actually get worse? Sort of like babying a bad knee - the knee actually gets weaker instead of stronger.

I"m REALLY open minded about alternative medicines and welcome any tips folks have.

Replies

• Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    What did your Dr recommend you use?
  • nan199678
    nan199678 Posts: 140
    Options
    What was bad about it? Also, from what I know, weight loss can change, decrease or maybe stop the need for the cpap.
  • huv123
    huv123 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    It's quite normal to have difficulty with the mask during the first few weeks. Speak to your doctor about getting refitted to a different mask if it is still not comfortable after a week or two. You will not become reliant on the machine. They sometimes use nasal prongs instead of a full mask. Non-CPAP options include weight loss (this is the main treatment if you are already overweight), or a mouth appliance (similar to the mouth guard you wear if you have TMJ). However the main takeaway from this should be that it's quite normal. A lot of people give up before they can get used to it, but the health implications of not getting treated for sleep apnoea if you have it can be quite serious - including increased risk of car accidents due to sleepiness and 5X greater risk of heart disease. Don't give up (and communicate with your doc)!
  • ReadyToBeMeAt160
    ReadyToBeMeAt160 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    It's quite normal to have difficulty with the mask during the first few weeks. Speak to your doctor about getting refitted to a different mask if it is still not comfortable after a week or two. You will not become reliant on the machine. They sometimes use nasal prongs instead of a full mask. Non-CPAP options include weight loss (this is the main treatment if you are already overweight), or a mouth appliance (similar to the mouth guard you wear if you have TMJ). However the main takeaway from this should be that it's quite normal. A lot of people give up before they can get used to it, but the health implications of not getting treated for sleep apnoea if you have it can be quite serious - including increased risk of car accidents due to sleepiness and 5X greater risk of heart disease. Don't give up (and communicate with your doc)!

Good feedback! thanks. i may try the nasal prongs only. or a mouth appliance. I'll give see it through this trial week though (after i get a humidifier tomorrow) and take it from there.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Speak to your d about alternatives. DH couldn't get used to the machine so the dr lasered his throat. He couldn't eat soldis for a month! And it came back and he's looking into a nasal surgery now. He's a horrible patient so I'm not encouraging that.

My sister has been using the machine for years. If she could lose more weight and keep it off, she'd be OK without it.
  • klyn7788
    klyn7788 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    My mother has sleep apnea and struggled at first with her CPAP. Her doctor gave her a week's worth of Xanax to help adjust ... as I understand it, it can be uncomfortable and somewhat disorienting at first. She used them for about three days, and has been comfortable with her machine since.
  • connorsdad07
    Options
    I would agree with the idea."TALK WITH YOUR DOCTOR!"

My first question is which kind did they say you have: obstructive or where your brain isn't sending the right/enough signals for you to breath normal in your sleep? If you have obstructive then, YES loosing weight would probably be you easiest solution/treatment besides the CPAP. My advise is figure out what works for you with getting the benefit of the CPAP b/c I'm 34yrs old, diagnosed when I was like 22yrs old and shouldn't have lived until now if I HAD NOT starting using my CPAP because you are at such HIGH risk for heart attack / stroke thanks to your heart trying to catch up. Now if your brain isn't sending the right/enough signals then I really don't know any treatments for that because I have the later. I hope this helped and friend or message me if you'd like to talk more about Sleep Apnea.

Sammie
  • ReadyToBeMeAt160
    Options
    thanks for the suggestions guys! I definitely have some more questions for the Dr. when I meet with them next week.
  • mrsmarit
    mrsmarit Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with sleep apnea a few years ago and could not adjust to the CPAP. I either wouldn't get to sleep with it on or knock it off in the middle of the night.

Since I had already met my deductible for the year I elected to get the surgery to remove the obstructions (if you want more details send me a PM)

I can say almost 3 years later it was the best decision for me. After that I had the energy to start working out and making an effort to lose the weight (which wasn't helping the sleep apnea.) My husband can hardly hear me snore anymore and I'm not falling asleep at work during the day or passing out @ 7pm every night.

They also have oral appliances but I do not know how well they work.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    Take up playing the didgeridoo? (No, really, it's supposed to be helpful)

Give it a few days - I got used to mine really fast. Try to be extra sleepy before you go to bed the first few days.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with sleep apnea a few years ago and could not adjust to the CPAP. I either wouldn't get to sleep with it on or knock it off in the middle of the night.

Since I had already met my deductible for the year I elected to get the surgery to remove the obstructions (if you want more details send me a PM)

I can say almost 3 years later it was the best decision for me. After that I had the energy to start working out and making an effort to lose the weight (which wasn't helping the sleep apnea.) My husband can hardly hear me snore anymore and I'm not falling asleep at work during the day or passing out @ 7pm every night.

They also have oral appliances but I do not know how well they work.

The oral appliances work for some, but they can also have the side effect of screwing with your jaw alignment, causing a whole host of other issues.

BTW, OP, the surgery doesn't work for everyone. Make sure you do the research on it before you go that route.
  • ReadyToBeMeAt160
    Options
    Take up playing the didgeridoo? (No, really, it's supposed to be helpful)

Give it a few days - I got used to mine really fast. Try to be extra sleepy before you go to bed the first few days.

that sounds like a plan to me!
  • maryann9wood
    maryann9wood Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    My husband sleeps with a mask. He was VERY opposed at first. He then decided to pretend he was Tom Cruise in Top Gun when he put it on. He has now done well with it for years, and we ALL sleep better.