Why Punishing Junk Food Munchers Assaults Personal Freedom

Options
13»

Replies

• GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    My logic is that obese people make themselves sick, so it's their fault. No one gives themselves cancer (except smokers), so it's not their fault. If I smoked and consumed immense amounts of sugary drinks and processed foods, giving myself lung cancer and diabetes, I wouldn't expect others to pay for it.

Also, I'd love to live in a place where people can't blow smoke all over my face as I'm walking down the street.

And soda companies making more money due to the NYC soda ban? That's false because the soda ban never happened. It's officially been shot down.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    My logic is that obese people make themselves sick, so it's their fault. No one gives themselves cancer (except smokers), so it's not their fault. If I smoked and consumed immense amounts of sugary drinks and processed foods, giving myself lung cancer and diabetes, I wouldn't expect others to pay for it.

Also, I'd love to live in a place where people can't blow smoke all over my face as I'm walking down the street.

And soda companies making more money due to the NYC soda ban? That's false because the soda ban never happened. It's officially been shot down.

Easy fix: don't make ANYone pay for ANYone else. When I was a kid, no one was forced to pay for health care for others, and it was affordable for all. A doctor's visit was only $20.

Banning smoking just moves another substance to the black market.