TL;DR Self Indulgent Gym Rant

Options
Desterknee
Desterknee Posts: 1,056 Member
My gym membership grants me access to all locations of Sports Clubs gyms. Last night I decided to try out a new location near my home. If I liked it, that would make gym visits much more convenient. I would be able to go to the gym, go back home, make breakfast, shower, and walk to work without having to carry my gym bag with me all day.

Upon entering this facility I was greeted with the scent of vomit with a hint of feces. I'm serious, it smelled the way my bathroom smelled when I had food poisoning. I'm gonna go ahead and assume that perhaps someone hit the cardio too hard and hurled. I am not going to assume it always smells that way, but that was rough. I would not want to be breathing heavily with that scent in the air. The first floor held the cardio machines. There were fewer than I was accustomed to at other NYSC locations, but not a big deal for me. I only do a quick 10 min cardio warm up.

I went upstairs to the free weights section. No vomit smell. Score! It's pretty packed. I look for a power rack or squat rack. At the other NYSC locations they are usually next to each other. I see the squat rack in use, but no power rack. NYSC has its own staff of personal trainers so I go to the nearest one.

Me: Excuse me, could you tell me where the power rack is?

PT: What?

Me: The power rack? Or does this location not have one?

PT: -points- Over there.

Me: No, that's a squat rack.

PT: -points- Oh, you mean that?

Me: No, that's a Smith machine.

PT: -points- I think that's it.

Me: No, that's another Smith machine. You know what? Never mind, I'll just wait for the squat rack. Thanks!

PT: No problem. You tryna build that booty? -smiles-

Me: (kicking him in my imagination) No, not really. Thanks again!

I know it was a harmless exchange but it really pissed me off that he assumed I was trying to build a booty. It was a completely sexist remark. I have not a single doubt in my mind that if I was a man talking about using the squat rack that he would have said something else entirely.

And hey! I have noooooo problem with anyone who wants to squat to build a booty. I love a nice round booty on guys and girls alike. That is an absolutely valid and awesome goal for anyone. But it's not *my* goal and he assumed it was just because I was a woman interested in weighted squats. He's a personal trainer. He needs to work on his craft.

Hey Mr. Trainer,

1. Learn what a power rack is. Seriously. There is no reason a fitness professional should not know the difference between a smith machine and a power rack. OR if you don't know what it is, say so. Maybe you think that will make you look dumb or unprofessional. It won't. It will make you look honest and increase your credibility. Pointing at the wrong equipment makes you look dumb and unprofessional.

2. When a person, client or not, tells you "I'm gonna do xyz", do not tell them what you think their goals are. You made an assumption about my goals which kinda annoyed me so I ended the conversation and walked away from you. What you should have done is asked me what my goals are. Then we could have had a conversation. I would have said,

"Well lifting weights has helped me to manage my depression in ways I haven't thought possible, so I'd say my number one goal is to not be depressed. The close second is that I need to increase my lower body strength considerably. I do a lot of hiking and I injured my hip last year so I lost a lot of strength. Actually, I am about to become an assistant hiking guide, so it's in my professional interests to increase my lower body strength. I'm also slightly over weight so lifting will help me maintain my lean mass while I eat at a caloric deficit."

And a conversation would totally blossom from there. Maybe he'd give me tips. Maybe he'd ask me what program I was following. Who knows. But that's how that conversation should have gone. In fact I have had conversations like that with other trainers at other NYSC locations.

Last but certainly not least, I had a creep following me around the gym. Yes, following me.

I did my 10 min warm up on a stationary bike. He chose the bike next to mine. I thought nothing of it. He kept looking over at me. Still thought nothing of it.

I went upstairs. I did my OHP in the free space area, or whatever you wanna call it. A couple of minutes later, there he is. Just standing there. Looking at me. He picks up a kettle bell and does I don't know what. Looking at me. I got such a creepy, threatening vibe from this guy. I can't explain it. Gut feeling of dread.

The squat rack freed up so I hauled *kitten* over there to finish OHP. I finish my OHP, set up for squats. Get the bar on my back and who do I see in the mirror only 2-3 feet behind me.? CREEP. ****ing ****. He starts doing dumbbell shoulder press RIGHT BEHIND ME while staring at me though the mirror. No, not looking at himself to keep form, looking at me. I do my squats as fast as I can.

I move to another open space area to do deadlifts. My friend appears and does walking lunges in my direction. Good Lord Jesus. I only had to do 5 reps so I was out of there fast.

I find another quiet corner to do my good mornings. Yet again, there he is, this time stretching. While he looks at me. I did my GMs decided to blow off my other accessory work and got the hell out of there.

WHOA. What a night.

Wanna share your horror stories? Comment on mine?

Replies

• Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I can't blame him, I would creep you too!
  • AZ_Gato
    AZ_Gato Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    I didn't read, but here's my canned responses, pick one:

A. Just dump him already.
    B. 10/10 Would Bang
    C. That's awesome!
    D. You can do this!
    E. _____________ <---Insert your own answer.
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    I don't have any horror stories... But I get murderous when there isn't a treadmill available.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    creepy dude needs to be creeped
  • miss_jessiejane
    miss_jessiejane Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry. That's icky on all accounts.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I'm a guy, I never get this stuff.

staring.jpg
  • SexKittenlovesitrough
    Options
    There is an overly friendly gym attendent at my gym also. He likes to stare and watch...

but he doesn't like to just stare and watch me, he also stares and watches my lover....

so i think he might be bi....but he could just be a creeper

my lover doesn't want to buy into the bi theory, so he thinks the guy is plotting his death and my marriage.

it's funny at this point...but I can see it moving into exceptionally creepy......
  • sheenarama
    sheenarama Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    There have been creepers at every gym I've been to. I used to work part time at a gym. I may have been one of the creepers staring at the hotties working out. :blushing:
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Yikes! I'd invest in some pepper spray in case the creep is there the next time you are!

*shivers*
  • Desterknee
    Options
    staring.jpg

It was kinda like this except he wasn't fully bald yet, older and he had that older-frail-man skinny type of body.
  • Vonwarr
    Vonwarr Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a crazy trip Des! You make me more glad to work out - alone - in my frigid garage. Seeing my breath while lifting is a small trade off to no vomit smell, waiting for equipment, or creepers.
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Dude is making like $10.00 / hr at an apparently low budget gym. You need to either upclass or lower your expectations. ha ha......
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    "Tryin' to build that booty?"

SO MUCH CRINGE.

And girl, you got that booty >:[ I'm sorry this more conveniently located gym didn't work out.
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    If the trainer doesn't know the names of basic equipment, that would be my sign to get out. ASAP.
  • ChristiH4000
    ChristiH4000 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    On the bright side, carrying around a gym bag isn't too much of a pain in the *kitten*.
  • Desterknee
    Options
    Well I'm giving it another shot actually... This all happened at a time I don't normally go to the gym. I plan on going at 6AM and this all happed between 5 and 6:30 PM so I will try it again on Friday, where I will likely not see bad PT or Creep.

But if I ever see that man again, I am not going within a block of that gym.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Plot twist:
    The vomit smell is the corpse of the real gym trainer this guy replaced.
  • ChristiH4000
    ChristiH4000 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you're going to try at a different time. The people in my gym location vary greatly depending on the time I go. Down with creepers! They distract, add an element of worry, and ruin the focus of an otherwise decent workout.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Some dude shamed my Vibrams while I was lifting. Looked at my feet, shook his head, looked up, and laughed at me. I took my ball and went home.