Can you save calories for the weekend???

Options
Hi all,
Due to work (SEN children and things may not always work to a timetable) I frequently miss breaks & lunch.
Because of this I seem to end up under allowance even before I've excercised, my big question is on other diets like the 5'2 you can 'save' calories and have a binge on the weekend etc, does anyone do this? does it work? and am I better off leaving it slightly under all week than pigging out one day on the weekend???

Replies

• turtleball
    turtleball Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    No. Everyday is a new day.
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options

Incorrect.

Your body does not really know its a new day in terms of energy use, it's a constant with ups and downs. While it's not recommended that you save for big blow outs on weekends, you can eat more a day after eating less. Average weekly calories is better to gauge weight loss/weekly gain anyway. Good luck with your goals.
  • jess135177
    jess135177 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I look at my weekly calorie deficit. I wouldn't advise "binging" on the weekends though. If I have extra calories from the week I'll have a couple beers more than usual.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Yes. I have always done weekly totals. I eat a little less during the week and a little more during the weekend. If my daily calorie goal is 1600, I make sure to have no more than 1600 X 7 = 11,200 during the week, so I would do something like 1450 M-F which leaves 1975 for each of Saturday and Sunday. Hello wine and dessert!

Note that complete blowouts on the weekends WILL set you back, even if you're eating less during the week.

Not everyone agrees with this and for some people it might be tough to "get back to normal" on Monday but this is just what has always worked for me. :)
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Yes you could but to me that's fostering quite an unhealthy relationship with Food l. It's what I've seen people on weight watchers do forgive themselves in the week on purpose so they can overeat at the weekend. In the long run it means they normally don't sustain any weight loss. In my opinion your better off eating properly all week. I work on the anything in moderation principles I can have anything as long as it fits in with my goals. Occasionally I will go over but I don't stress about that
  • turtleball
    turtleball Posts: 217 Member
    Options

Incorrect.

Your body does not really know its a new day in terms of energy use, it's a constant with ups and downs. While it's not recommended that you save for big blow outs on weekends, you can eat more a day after eating less. Average weekly calories is better to gauge weight loss/weekly gain anyway. Good luck with your goals.

I rather not do that, that seriously throws me off. I like my timing and I dont want to go back to eating dysfunctional.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    I pay a lot more attention to my weekly goal than my daily goal. I'm under some days and over others. So.... my answer would be yes. :smile:
  • 4daluvof_candice
    4daluvof_candice Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I pay a lot more attention to my weekly goal than my daily goal. I'm under some days and over others. So.... my answer would be yes. :smile:

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

actually, that's not how it works....

OP...it's all trends over time. I use the TDEE method and am maintaining now, but I used it to lose as well. With TDEE I eat a set amount of calories daily...but some days I have more exercise than other days, etc...so some days I am under what would be required for me to maintain and other days I'm over....over the course of a week however, it all nets out...so I maintain my weight.

The same goes for losing and gaining...whatever your goal is. It's really about what is happening over the course of days and weeks, not the minutia of day to day. Just make sure you're not too low on calories during the week...that can be a bad thing...your body needs proper fueling.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    You certainly can. Your scale may jump up immediately after you eat your saved calories because of water retention and just the fact that there's more food in there than usual, but it'll quickly go down and isn't actual fat gain. Sometimes I'll eat saved calories on Saturday and weigh several pounds more Sunday morning, but it goes back to normal by the evening.

If your body completely reset every day, people doing those dangerous water fasts would die after 24 hours.
    I rather not do that, that seriously throws me off. I like my timing and I dont want to go back to eating dysfunctional.
    There's nothing wrong with that. But your personal preference doesn't mean it doesn't work.
  • nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Yes. I have always done weekly totals. I eat a little less during the week and a little more during the weekend. If my daily calorie goal is 1600, I make sure to have no more than 1600 X 7 = 11,200 during the week, so I would do something like 1450 M-F which leaves 1975 for each of Saturday and Sunday. Hello wine and dessert!

Note that complete blowouts on the weekends WILL set you back, even if you're eating less during the week.

Not everyone agrees with this and for some people it might be tough to "get back to normal" on Monday but this is just what has always worked for me. :)

^^ There are quite a few people who cycle calories like this and it works great for them. There are also plans like 5:2 where you eat higher and lower calorie days, intermittent fasting, etc. They all 'average' out to 'x' amount of calories for the week. Finding something that you're consistent with is what will work best for you. :)
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    From a physiological standpoint, of course you can do that. As long as you stay under calories over the long term, it doesn't matter what you end the day at.

I'll even go a step further and say that big blow outs are even OK as long as you have the calories from them. Some would even argue that they are more efficient on some levels.

If you want to reconcile weekly, there is no physical reason that is not OK.

On a mental note, some people can't handle it.
  • stt43
    stt43 Posts: 487
    Options
    If, by the end of the week, you have burned off more calories than you have consumed, then you will lose body fat. Simple.
  • emAZn
    emAZn Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I usually have a thousand or more to "spend" on the weekends... I used to save more (3000+) and have these great weekend meals with pizza and burgers and alcohol and crazy amounts of sweets but that wasn't teaching me good habits, moderation, and self control. So now I try not to go over my daily goal by more than 500 on the weekends and I always stay under my weekly net. Plus it helps to keep my weekend gain down to a more moderate level.
  • 4daluvof_candice
    4daluvof_candice Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    Due to work (SEN children and things may not always work to a timetable) I frequently miss breaks & lunch.
    Because of this I seem to end up under allowance even before I've excercised, my big question is on other diets like the 5'2 you can 'save' calories and have a binge on the weekend etc, does anyone do this? does it work? and am I better off leaving it slightly under all week than pigging out one day on the weekend???

Yes but I would be careful with the mind set..it may become a habit and turn into something else.

Ex. if your weekly is 10500 a week (1500/day)
    1300,1400,1500,1400,1300,1400=8300 then you have 2200 left
  • JJJJ25
    JJJJ25 Posts: 37
    Options
    Yes, you can consider your calories in terms of a weekly allowance instead of daily.

But more importantly, you need to factor in your psychological reaction to saving up calories.

After a weekend of eating more, will you feel satisfied and happy that you had a couple of treat days, or will you be looking ahead at the week, dreading 5 days of feeling deprived?
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Yes from me, too. I have days when I'm hungrier than others. I also have days when I exercise a lot, which seems to suppress my appetite, or am just really busy, and just don't eat near my calories for that day. I don't have any really huge days or any really really low days, but I definitely have days with a couple hundred calories over or under where I'm aiming for. If I'm good for the week, I'm happy with it.
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    If, by the end of the week, you have burned off more calories than you have consumed, then you will lose body fat. Simple.

This has been my experience. I began by using the MFP method but found myself "hangry" on non-workout days. TDEE - 20% gives me practically the same number of weekly calories, spread more evenly across the days. On Saturday morning after I weigh in I go into my diary and add up any leftover calories from Sunday to Friday and add them to my Saturday total. This has never, in five and a half months of weight loss, added up to anything like a super binge. It usually means an extra glass of wine and moderate dessert with Saturday dinner. I'm still in control, I *feel* in control, but I'm also relaxed and enjoying a nice treat with friends and family. Win win.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I don't "save" calories necessarily, but I aim for a .5 lb/week weight loss, which is a 250-calorie daily deficit, so when I'm not too hungry I'll eat at a 500-calorie deficit, and when I'm really hungry I'll eat at maintenance. Unless you're really not eating enough, I think it'd be fine. But still log on the weekends to avoid totally binging.
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options

you have no clue what u are talking about.