popcorn, no butter?

Options
popcorn is my favorite snack food and i love it best when it's drenched in salted butter.

what do you do to make popcorn a healthy snack?

Replies

• _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    air pop it...

EOT, go home folks...
  • eebrocks
    Options
    Thanks, Captain Obvious.

I'm looking for ways to add flavor without adding too many calories.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I make a mix of buffalo wing sauce (Frank's) with a bit of melted butter (which you could probably skip, it's just less soggy that way - it's going to get somewhat soggy either way, of course, just a little less with the butter :wink: ) - maybe 3 parts wing sauce to 1 part butter. Drizzle that over air popped corn with a fork (not TOO much, again, the soggy) and finish with a sprinkle of celery salt.
  • _John_
    Options
    it's a sodium bomb, but you can air pop it, spray some cooking oil on it and then drizzle this (or another flavor) on it...

popcornSeasoning.jpg
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I actually like air popped by itself, but I've seen other people recommend nutritional yeast. However, I've never had it.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Just salt or I use those popcorn seasonings you can buy in the popcorn aisle.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I pop mine in coconut oil...it's delicious. I don't need anything else besides a little salt to make movie night at home awesome.
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    it's a sodium bomb, but you can air pop it, spray some cooking oil on it and then drizzle this (or another flavor) on it...

popcornSeasoning.jpg

I LOVE the nacho cheese one!
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    I take a nasty bag of 100 cal popcorn, spray on some butter flavored cooking spray, and add buttery seasoning salt. Like someone else said... sodium bomb.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Air pop and add Old Bay. If you aren't familiar with Old Bay, it's the best stuff on the planet.
  • loriklein
    Options
    Try a Penzey's blend- southwest seasoning would be great if you like it spicy. Don't skimp too much on the fat though:)
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options

popcornSeasoning.jpg

This stuff is scrumdiddlyumptious

And popcorn with no butter is an abomination
  • LadyPacis
    LadyPacis Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I pop mine in coconut oil...it's delicious. I don't need anything else besides a little salt to make movie night at home awesome.

I second this! The coconut oil makes it really flavorful, no need for the extra butter.
  • _John_
    Options
    while there's no health problems in eating butter and coconut oil, subbing one for the other is not really getting you anywhere calorically speaking...
  • FitnFeistyLyness
    FitnFeistyLyness Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    nutritional yeast gives it a nutty cheesy flavor. love the stuff.
  • Aknw1
    Aknw1 Posts: 2
    Options
    Douse popcorn in hotsauce!!! It's amazing:wink:
  • Sandia_Sweetie
    Sandia_Sweetie Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Mrs. Dash Extra Spicy, yum!
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Drizzle with a little melted dark chocolate and some sea salt. Salty sweet and yummy!