Jealous of spouses extra available calories

Options
My wife and I have both set out to lose some weight this year and we're both good about supporting each other, but my daily calorie goal is 500 more than hers. Naturally she understands that I need more food than she does but it's still frustrating for her at the end of the day when sitting down to watch a show and I have the calories for a snack and she doesn't.

Any tips for getting around this? Sometimes I just forgo the snack and leave 500 calories on the table at the end of the night but I don't want to always do that.

Replies

• turtleball
    turtleball Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Well you dont have to ditch the food, as long as you guys are both feeling better and healthy.
  • ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    She'll get over it. Most of us gals are in the same situation. If she wants to eat a snack at night, it's completely up to her to budget her calories in order to do so.

She can either eat less during the day or hit the gym hard, or a combo of both. Otherwise I'd say she doesn't want to snack at night badly enough. It isn't your fault.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Jealous? Is she 12?
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    I am jealous of everyone's extra calories. I want them all.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    Jealous? Is she 12?

I am 12.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Jealous? Is she 12?

Omg THIS.. My boyfriend gets twice as many calories per day (I have 1650 and he has 3200), as he is bulking. It does not bother me one bit, I just feed him more food. :laugh:
  • ZForce915
    Options
    I know she will get over it, but I want to be supportive because it's really hard at first to get back into healthy eating habits.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    I eat over 1000/day more than my wife. I eat more breakfast. I eat more lunch. I eat more dinner. I eat more snacks. So it goes. You have your goals and she has hers. She's a big girl and should be able to deal with a larger man eating more food.
  • ZForce915
    Options
    Jealous? Is she 12?

No, just hungry.
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options
    Make it 500 calories of something she despises. My wife hates beer, therefore....

BEER FOR ME!!!
  • Codilee87
    Codilee87 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    My husband is 6'4 with the metabolism of a racehorse. His only complaint is that he hasn't gained weight since he was 18. It certainly is frustrating when he eats bacon and 4 slices of bread with every meal, has a huge bowl of greasy popcorn every night and snacks on chips, soda and cookies throughout the day but never gains an ounce. All while I am strictly following my 1400-1500 calorie a day plan...
  • ZForce915
    Options
    The purpose of this topic was to try to find ways to be more supportive. Let's keep the responses in that frame of mind.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Jealous? Is she 12?

No, just hungry.

Then she needs more protein, vegetables, fruits, and other filling foods so she won't be jealous of yours.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    The purpose of this topic was to try to find ways to be more supportive. Let's keep the responses in that frame of mind.

I assume you eat separate lunches? Eat a bigger lunch and get your extra calories there.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    give her smaller portions during the day and she can join you in the snacking to, with a smaller version of the same thing.
  • twoaugustgirls
    twoaugustgirls Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Can you eat in the kitchen or another room, or while she is upstairs doing something else? That way she does not have to see it. It may get easier for her. My husband does not diet and eats like crap all the time, and it does suck.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    woah? back up,,,,you sit together at the end of the night, and you have a snack and she does not???
    frickin HILARIOUS!
    i may have kicked you to the curn before i even met ya.
    she still can..
    hope she reads this
  • viglet
    viglet Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Jealous? Is she 12?

No, just hungry.

We are all freaking damn hungry man.... especially me.

My husband is 6'4 and I am 5'2. He could almost eat my calories for bfast. Honestly, I got over it, but in the beginning I wanted to punch him in the face (not literally obviously).

I think it is very sweet and kind of you for caring. It honestly shows your love for her. So yes, as most people said, she will most likely get over it, but if you want to be extra supportive, try and eat some of your "treat cals" in the morning or when she isn't around.
  • jessdholmes
    Options
    My husband and I are in the same situation as well. He laments the number of calories he still needs to eat at the end of the day while I am wishing I had that problem! I would suggest trying to eat more of your calories during the day when you are apart and take part in a healthy snack that fits into both of your caloric budgets when you are together. She could also try to find small ways to cut a few extra calories from her daily meals (or exercise a bit more) to allow for this indulgence at night. Good luck!
  • aliencheesecake
    aliencheesecake Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I know she will get over it, but I want to be supportive because it's really hard at first to get back into healthy eating habits.

It IS hard, and while "jealous" may not be the right word, I understand how she feels. My hubby doesn't watch what he eats at all, and the dinner I make him is the healthiest thing he eats all day. And at night, when my thoughts are consumed by what and how much I can eat and TRY not to be hungry at bedtime, he eats whatever he wants... I get very grumpy when I'm hungry, and I understand how it feels to watch someone eat when you want so badly to eat yourself. THAT SAID, I eat if I'm hungry. It takes me longer to lose these last few pounds, but I don't like being hungry. In the end, there's not much either of you can do but deal with it... either she can exercise more, stock calories for the evening, or just deal with it and eat a small snack. It's not either of your "faults" really. Just how things are. :/