Kansas mom post-gastric surgery and needing to get active!!

Options
So, a bit about me... I'm from Kansas and a 36yo married mother of 3 adopted children. I work full time at a crisis mental health center and I am a chronic dieter. I've always been big, everyone in my family is big and eating is a way of life!!

I've tried every fad diet known to man and finally after reaching my heaviest weight of 360lbs at 5'8", I got a gastric sleeve procedure done in May 2013. After only losing about 40lbs in the first 6 months, I decided that maybe this wasn't the quick fix I thought it was. I decided I needed to really start keeping track of what I'm eating to get a good picture of why the weight wasn't coming off faster. To my suprise, I discovered that I was actually out-eating my stomach size. I had been grazing on food all day long and most of it had no significant nutritional value.

I still eat...a lot, in my opinion, considering that my stomach is supposedly the size of a small banana. I'm a notorious bad eater. We eat out ALOT, mostly due to sheer lack of planning and motivation. I love chocolate and popcicles and cookies and...food. We have a membership to the Y but rarely go because I'm so exhausted at the end of the day. I need to kick myself into gear and get moving. I alway see results when I exercise but it seems that isn't motivation enough. I guess the $50 automatically debited from my account every month or the $15,000 I spent out of pocket for that surgery isn't motivation enough either.

I dont want to be skinny. I love curves I dont want to lose mine. I just want to be healthy and active. I'm looking for a few people to help me along on this weight loss journey. I'm not looking for a diet/exercise Nazi friends. I would just love a little extra support from people who have been there.

Replies

• wendy3330
    wendy3330 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I can relate to your situation. I got the lap band in 2012 and to my surprise it was not the quick fix I thought if would be. I lost 100 pounds but then I changed jobs at work which totally threw me off my game. I gained back about 30 lbs mostly due to constant grazing so I am back on MFP to log in food/excerice and get motivation from friends. Please feel free to add me.